potentially stupid question about audio out from HD-A1

williamkmurphy

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Bills Country
Finally got my HD-A1 yesterday (i think sony pays fedex to screw up hd-dvd deliveries) and have some setup questions.

Little preliminary system info...the HD-A1 is connected to my yamaha rxv-2600 through hdmi not the analog 5.1 connections.

1. Do I need to worry about all of the speaker distance settings in the player if I am using the HDMI out to transfer PCM audio? I understand that you need to do it with the 5.1 analog because many receivers use those inputs as a "source direct" and don't process them. I assume the the receiver would apply all of the distance adjustments on a digital input.

2. When i hit the "display" button on the tosh remote audio out is always displayed as bitstream (for both TrueHD and DD+). Yet all of the PCM lights are lit up on the receiver and player. Just curious if this is a little bug or what? I would just check the audio information that the receiver is getting but I have to go through the GUI to do that and interrupts the HDMI and the HD-A1 doesn't like that.

williamkmurphy said:
Finally got my HD-A1 yesterday (i think sony pays fedex to screw up hd-dvd deliveries) and have some setup questions.
Congratulations on your purchase, and sorry about your problems with FedEx.
Hey, there are no stupid questions in this forum, only stupid answers! :D

1. Do I need to worry about all of the speaker distance settings in the player if I am using the HDMI out to transfer PCM audio?
I don't think so. Use the speaker settings in your receiver instead.

2. When i hit the "display" button on the tosh remote audio out is always displayed as bitstream (for both TrueHD and DD+).
I think that display shows what is being output over coax and toslink outputs, not what you get over HDMI.

Make sure to properly configure your HDMI output in the Audio Settings.

Enjoy!

1. Do I need to worry about all of the speaker distance settings in the player if I am using the HDMI out to transfer PCM audio? I understand that you need to do it with the 5.1 analog because many receivers use those inputs as a "source direct" and don't process them. I assume the the receiver would apply all of the distance adjustments on a digital input.

To be safe, you should set your speakers equidistant and to size large. This will insure that the original audio data on the disc is untouched allowing your receiver to do all the audio processing of the PCM data :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts