POTS vs. U-Verse

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I have been considering dropping Charter internet service and Dish Network video service and getting both from U-Verse. However, when I got to the UV site, it appears that I have to exchange my POTS for their $30 month + fees UV phone service. I now pay about $21/month including fees for POTS since I do not use it for long distance. This situation is a deal breaker for me. Since there are 4 TELCO pairs at the NI, it just doesn't make sense I have to drop POTS, but that is apparently AT&T's policy.

I have been considering dropping Charter internet service and Dish Network video service and getting both from U-Verse. However, when I got to the UV site, it appears that I have to exchange my POTS for their $30 month + fees UV phone service. I now pay about $21/month including fees for POTS since I do not use it for long distance. This situation is a deal breaker for me. Since there are 4 TELCO pairs at the NI, it just doesn't make sense I have to drop POTS, but that is apparently AT&T's policy.

That is not AT&T's policy and you can retain your analog phone service provider it does not have to be AT&T. Also when ordering U-verse you do not need or have to add U-verse voice.

I recently ordered service and the issue of adding U-verse voice never came up. My friend ordered U-verse also and he has Road Runner for internet and some company other then AT&T (forgot the name) for POTS, he did not have to order U-verse voice and is already installed and running without it.

That is not AT&T's policy and you can retain your analog phone service provider it does not have to be AT&T. Also when ordering U-verse you do not need or have to add U-verse voice.

I recently ordered service and the issue of adding U-verse voice never came up. My friend ordered U-verse also and he has Road Runner for internet and some company other then AT&T (forgot the name) for POTS, he did not have to order U-verse voice and is already installed and running without it.

Well when I try to subscribe to U-Verse on the AT&T web site, (and it knows I have POTS because of the phone number I plugged in), it will not process unless I get U-Verse voice. I was using the internet for ordering service to take advantage of the internet discount.

Your reply is not clear. Did you have AT&T POTS B4 getting U-verse and did you keep it after getting U-verse?

U-verse Voice is NOT required. Many people have kept their AT&T POTS line with U-verse internet/TV. I don't know if this works or not, but I have read elsewhere that people have called in to place the order and stated that they attempted to place the order online but had difficulty doing so. The phone reps will supposedly give the online order deals/specials if you tell them this.

I haven't heard too many that are happy with the HD video quality of UVerse, so be sure you are not getting locked in or paying some installation fee in case you don't like it.

Uverse HD Much better!

I haven't heard too many that are happy with the HD video quality of UVerse, so be sure you are not getting locked in or paying some installation fee in case you don't like it.

Well, I can tell you I have had Uverse for over a year now.
Its new to South Florida.

The HD quality has immproved drasticly! Would I say its better than dish or direc?

Its very close..Maybe a notch off but close.

I still say in this order the best HD is as follows.According to me:

Direc
Dish
Uverse

I do have all those providers.
Dish is my main unit. Direc for Ny Jets, Ny Rangers.(seasonal)
Uverse tv/Internet...

Overkill? probably
If dish still had Voom-I would probably say goodbye to Uverse.

I LOVE the quality of U-Verse here in Michigan! The HD is at least as good if not better than Dish (at least since I last had Dish which was about a year ago) and the SD is TONS better than Dish was. Not even a comparison. Add to that the 6 mg connection I'm getting for $25 and I'm a happy camper! (I do NOT have U-Verse voice, just TV and internet services.)

I got U-verse last Oct. and since then the HD PQ has improved beyond my expectations. Not only that but the SD channels PQ are better then any service(I've had them all) I've ever had. U-verse recently improved the performance of the HD DVR. This is a service that is continuing to improve .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)