Power inserter - is it necessary?

NDPHARM

May 16, 2006
I recently had to move my satellite system, and in the process I unhooked the Videopath Power inserter for the DPP44 switch. Had trouble remembering exactly how it was hooked into the satellite cable - so I just left it off. Everything seems to be working fine and I'm getting all the channels off of the 61.5, 110, 119 and 129 satellites. (2 separate dishes). Do I need to worry about getting the power inserter hooked back up?

Bye Bye power supply

I recently had to move my satellite system, and in the process I unhooked the Videopath Power inserter for the DPP44 switch. Had trouble remembering exactly how it was hooked into the satellite cable - so I just left it off. Everything seems to be working fine and I'm getting all the channels off of the 61.5, 110, 119 and 129 satellites. (2 separate dishes). Do I need to worry about getting the power inserter hooked back up?

No of course not, there's no reason that it was hooked up in the 1st place. Of course in a few weeks when you can cook pancakes on top of the unit you might think about it again. Put it back in it goes between the receiver and port 1 of the DPP44. :hungry:

There has been plenty of discussion on this subject! I for one have not had a power inserter inserted for over a year and with no problems! I have a vip 622 and a 522, this could be why I havn't needed it, the 2 recievers keep it powered up! So for each there on, maybe the safe route would be to use it!

Then that would be the 622! But the question is does he need it, answer is NO! Will it shorten the lifespan of the switch or the reciever, who knows!

The power inserter is designed to be used with the DPP44. Failure to use it could shorten the lifespan of the power supply of the receiver on port 1 by drawing more amps than the rating of the reciever..

USE IT!!

I have had my 522 and my 322 hooked up through my 44 switch for over 2 years through my Super Dish w/o any problems. I have gone to homes where the power inserter wasn't hooked up and the system wouldn't work-put in the power inserter and all was fine. Just my 2 cents

Technical Support's answer...

I was still having trouble with errors on my check switch when I hooked up the power inserter, so I finally called in to tech support to find out what to do. They told me that the power inserter is only necessary when pairing up older receivers with newer dishes. Since I have a Super Dish and VIP 622 she said I didn't need it.

The system will work for a while, but it eventually causes problems with the recievers and the switch, as it puts a lot of stress on the recievers. You'll eventually end up with damaged recievers and/or switch. I'd plug it back in ASAP if I were you.

I was still having trouble with errors on my check switch when I hooked up the power inserter, so I finally called in to tech support to find out what to do. They told me that the power inserter is only necessary when pairing up older receivers with newer dishes. Since I have a Super Dish and VIP 622 she said I didn't need it.

I swear they hire retarded chimpanzees at that call center sometimes. :confused: She more than likely has gotten DP adapters and switch power supplys confused. You need a DP adapter when you have 1 or more legacy recievers conected to a DishPro Twin, Quad, or 34 Switch. You do not need a DP adapter if you have 1 or more legacy recievers connected to a DPP44 switch or a DishProPlus Twin (as long as a DishPro reciever is also connected to the DPP Twin.) The Power inserter for switches is entirely different and is designed to be used in ALL configurations, as the power needs of the switch are greater than the output of the recievers connected to it. For example, if you disconnect the power inserter from a legacy 64 switch, it IMMEDIATLY stops working. A DPP44 switch will plug along for a while, but will eventually stop working and result in reciever damage due to the switch drawing more power from the reciever than it was designed to output.

It will not work, it will eventually fail, I've done seen it myself where system worked for about 4 months being powered by a 622 on port 1, 942 and a 508.

Install power inserter, system restored. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)