Power inserter

tsutton002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I have a Dish 1000 running to a DPP44 that is feeding a vip622 and a vip211. The tech who installed it a few years ago didn't install a power inserter. Browsing the forums made me wonder - do I need a power inserter or do the two receivers backfeed enough power to not need it? If I do need one will Dish send me it or do I need to buy it on my own?

Thanks.

It will probably continue to work. However, if it fails the first thing I would check is the power inserter.

If it does fail it would be very likely to cause the receiver connected to port 1 on the DPP44 to fail also. It could cause an excessive power draw on that receiver.

Yes it has worked for a long time but I'm on my 3rd or 4th vip622. The current 622 has been in service for over a year and I'd rather not lose the DVR events again. The previous 622s probably died from heat but they have all been on port one so current draw could have been the issue.

If your receivers keep failing I would suspect the lack of a power inserter. Unless the receivers are stacked under other components or put on a shelf where there is no ventilation I would not suspect overheating.

I would recommend calling Dish to see if they will send one to you. Explain to them that the installer did not install one and you continue to have receiver issues.

The power inserter is simple to install. It would be connected to port 1 (622) You will need a small RG-6 coaxial cable to connect it.

If it is a Dish 1000 you don't need the DPP44 for two receivers. However if it is a 1000+ then you will need the switch.

1000=110,119,129
1000+=110,118.7,119,129

I had the DP34 that was originally hooked to the 1000 replaced with the DPP44 for a couple of reasons. 1) I had three receivers when it was installed and 2) I couldn't run a second coax to the 622 so I had to have the DPP44 to use a separator. Surprisingly Dish was kind enough to install it free of charge. If memory serves the tech who was out was kind of clueless and I think he just forgot the inserter.

If I don't need an inserter fine, I just don't want to kill the receivers if not having one is causing issues.

Last edited:
Gotcha, since you have DP equipment for your 1000 I see why you have the DPP44 switch. I would definately look into getting a power inserter for the DPP44 then.

The power inserter will reduce the power demand on your 622. This should help your 622 last for a much longer time.

It seems like your situation falls into the categories of "make it work" or "fix the problem". Replacing a receiver has made your system work. However, it appears that you want to fix the problem. Installing the power inserter will give your 622 a longer life. The power inserter will be able to provide the extra power that is needed to run your system. Right now, the system is drawing too much power from your 622 and may cause it to burn out like the previous receivers.

You should use the power insterer, not doing so may shorten the life of your receivers, as their power supply is working to try powering the dish.

First I've heard of a power inserter. Just looked one up and we definitely do not have one at our house.

I called Dish and have a 1000.4 scheduled to be installed tomorrow. I asked the CSR to put a note in to have the tech bring a power inserter - so whether the DPP44 needs it or not it I guess will have one after the install.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm going to thread jack since OP got his resolved. Do all setups needs power inserters? I have a WA setup with a 722 & 612. Both receivers have been replaced once in 1 1/2 years.. The 722 had a bad HD and 612 kept flaking out which I hear is normal. Just wondering if we need an power inserter...

the only switches that use a power supply are the dpp44 and legacy switches sw44 and sw64.
if you do not have a external switch you do not need a power supply.

FYI

Just an FYI....

Dish does not support the use of a DPP44 with the use of a 1k4 dish kit. That doesnt mean the call center rep or marketing rep wont screw up a WO and create the combination. But as of right now they will not modify or create a WO for Techs to combine the 2 technologies.

I had the Dish tech manual open for another thread and looked it up.

When using the DPP44 switch with a Dish 1000.4 you must use the DPP power inserter on port 1 of the DPP44 switch. This is described on page 7 of the manual.

Just an FYI....

Dish does not support the use of a DPP44 with the use of a 1k4 dish kit. That doesnt mean the call center rep or marketing rep wont screw up a WO and create the combination. But as of right now they will not modify or create a WO for Techs to combine the 2 technologies.

I've heard this in the past. But according to documentation for the 1000.4, "
Compatible with only a DP Plus 44 Switch. When connected to a DPP44 Switch, the LNB IN port is disabled."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)