Powered HDMI splitter from Monoprice?

tjwgrr

Route of the Northliners
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Western Michigan
Anyone have success with the PRO Series Powered HDMI® 1x2 Splitter from Monoprice? Also, would running 25-30' of good quality HDMI cable cause an issue with signal loss?

For only $35.42 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI® Splitter with 3D support (Rev. 2.0) | HDMI Powered & Passive 1 X 2 Splitters

I have a 622 that I want to feed HD signals to two different TV's. The second TV is located 25-30' from the source. I know both TVs will show the same programming, which is not a problem. Thanks in advance.

Anyone have success with the PRO Series Powered HDMI® 1x2 Splitter from Monoprice? Also, would running 25-30' of good quality HDMI cable cause an issue with signal loss?

For only $35.42 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI® Splitter with 3D support (Rev. 2.0) | HDMI Powered & Passive 1 X 2 Splitters

I have a 622 that I want to feed HD signals to two different TV's. The second TV is located 25-30' from the source. I know both TVs will show the same programming, which is not a problem. Thanks in advance.

At about $10 less, between myself/family/friends I know of at least six of these: Amazon.com: Sewell 2 Port 1x2 Powered Hdmi Splitter V 1.3b (Up to 1080p) 3D Certified: Electronics that are working with no issues.

I have a 75' HDMI run without power...works fine.

Why not use component to your close-by TV? No need for a splitter.

I have been using one for a little while now. No issues personally with any monoprice product.

I have a 75' HDMI run without power...works fine.

Why not use component to your close-by TV? No need for a splitter.

No sure for the OP, but I used the splitter above to feed a TV that I use outside during football season. As it is 3d as well as the inside tv, and the splitter is 3d capable, it is the way to go.

Not that model but also have zero problems using mine. It supplies the TV directly for my wife who is technically challenged, (Nothing extra for her to do just turn on the TV and sat box) and it supplies my Audo/Video receiver so I can get surround sound and adjust the audio sync if needed, plus change between the sat box, DVD recorder, Roku, Blu-ray, etc.. all from that receiver. It's a great way to get HD to second TV also.

I use one of those with no problem. I personally have a 75' HDMI run and my dad has a 100' run (both monoprice HDMI cables as well) with zero issues. His has been installed for about 4 years, mine for about 2.5.

Not that model but also have zero problems using mine. It supplies the TV directly for my wife who is technically challenged, (Nothing extra for her to do just turn on the TV and sat box) and it supplies my Audo/Video receiver so I can get surround sound and adjust the audio sync if needed, plus change between the sat box, DVD recorder, Roku, Blu-ray, etc.. all from that receiver. It's a great way to get HD to second TV also.

That's a great idea! Right now, I keep a 622 in the living room (hooked straight to the TV with HDMI) just for when my mother-in-law house sits. The last thing I want to do when I'm out of town is walk her turning on everything, or even how to use the Harmony. I was wondering how I was going to do this once I got a Hopper, since the 622 and 722 are both going away.

In a couple of the reviews for the Sewell 2 Port 1x2 Powered Hdmi splitter on Amazon.com, the reviewers mentioned video resolution will be at the lowest of your two devices that you will be driving with the splitter. ie, If you are driving a 720P TV and a 1080P TV, you will get 720P on both devices. In addition, the sound will be whatever the lowest quality is as well. Wondering if this is true for the Pro Splitter from Monoprice as well? A concern since my main Panny 50" plasma is 1080, but the second tv is only 720.

EDIT: Online chat w/ Monoprice tech support. Their HDMI splitter also downgrades to the lowest resolution as well- in my case down to 720p.

Wondering if the same downgrade would occur if I drove the 2nd 720P TV directly from the component outputs from the 622, and the main 1080 TV with HDMI?

Last edited:
Wondering if the same downgrade would occur if I drove the 2nd 720P TV directly from the component outputs from the 622, and the main 1080 TV with HDMI?

There would be no downgrade if you did it that way...but since 5-wire component cable is very bulky, I'd run HDMI to the 720p set.

it actually depends on your source. If your source is a fixed output of 1080i then that is what will be sent to your 720p TV, the splitter does NOT change the resolution.

In a couple of the reviews for the Sewell 2 Port 1x2 Powered Hdmi splitter on Amazon.com, the reviewers mentioned video resolution will be at the lowest of your two devices that you will be driving with the splitter. ie, If you are driving a 720P TV and a 1080P TV, you will get 720P on both devices. In addition, the sound will be whatever the lowest quality is as well. Wondering if this is true for the Pro Splitter from Monoprice as well? A concern since my main Panny 50" plasma is 1080, but the second tv is only 720.

EDIT: Online chat w/ Monoprice tech support. Their HDMI splitter also downgrades to the lowest resolution as well- in my case down to 720p.

The "downgrade" would occur with any low cost HDMI splitter I know of. Likewise with a 3D and non-3D tv, the Dish receiver would think you have a non-3d TV. It's not really the splitter downgrading the signal, just the splitter reporting the highest resolution supported by both devices to the source. I did see some more expensive units way back when I was looking that let you choose the EDID info you want it to cache.

The component trick should work if the 720P TV will accept a 1080i signal.

The component trick should work if the 720P TV will accept a 1080i signal.

Should be no problem- the 720P TV was hooked directly to a 722 before moving the TV.

~$30.00 w/ shipping for a 5 wire 35' component video cable, a couple wall plates, and single gang boxes. Wires are all run in an unfinished portion of my basement- good to go. Thanks everyone for their input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)