This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

PowerTech DG380 not working on 1.2m dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Hi guys I just got my PowerTech DG380 dish but unfotunatelly it only moves to position 10 and then its over, no more movement.

I'm using windows 7 x64
Twinhan 1020 a
ProgDVB v6.23.2

Last edited:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you'll be much happier using a REAL receiver ( CS5000/6000, Pansat, Fortec ) to move the dish and use your PCI card for it's strong points. I've tried driving a dish with both a TT-3200 and a Skywalker-1. They both work , within the limits of their software, but they're not nearly as satisfactory as a decent receiver.
Congratulations on your 1.2M and DG380 combo, maybe you'll be a Mini-BUD guy next year.
I'd look to ebay for a used CS5000/6000 so you can really debug your system.

PC receiver cards are known for less than enough power to move a motor at times.

Position 10 means what?

Ten degrees away from reference point? The tenth position on DiSEqC 1.2?

10 degrees from reference (0 degrees at center) left or right, so I'm now lost with that I wanted to do, the reason why I'm using a PCI card is because I love Windows Media Center so I can record, use EPG, even use logos on channels but now is a shame that this PC card can't handle this dish

Which card do you think can handle this dish if possible.

Moderators please change PowerTech DG380 not working on 1.2m dish on the thread name.

Last edited:
Maybe the motor is not Windows 7 ready LOL

i test tons of gear. first piece of advice is to never power a hh motor with a pci card. it is hazardous to your pc. if you must, use a usb reciever capable of powering a hh motor. for the price of a skywalker usb tuner, id definately choose against risking it on powering a motor. truthfully the best bet is to slave a pc dvb device off of a cheap dvb reciever or insert power onto the coax. either solution is about 40 bucks.

crackt out,.

Another issue is the difficulty of aiming the dish, and knowing when it's got a satellite dialed in to scan. That's very difficult with a PC Card solution. I suspect that one way or another, you'll be happier with a cheap receiver at your disposal, for troubleshooting if nothing else.

I also had a problem with DG380. Motor didn't have enough torque to move 1 m dish. Got RMA from Sadoun and sent motor back more than a month ago and still waiting for replacement.

I'm not really impress with service provided by our sponsor.

Me too, this motor came with screws forced and even I had to tight them back, the do not open sticker came broken

Now about modding the motor I think I'll pass, probably I'll test with an amp meter or another PCIe card if this doesn't works I will be screwed.

Have you tried another driver with your 1020a card? There are a few around. There are BDA and WDM, I can't remember for sure but I think Prog will use either. Also, have you tried a dvb application other than Progdvb?

Yeah, I've tried dvbdream and that app even cannot handle the motor at all, just the reset position, I've only tried the 1.2.3.8 driver in windows 7 x64 because is the only one for this card that works without F8 (signed driver), I haven't seen any WDM for x64, the WDM drivers that I've found are only for x86 so I was thinking to try it under windows xp with wdm driver but I don't have an spare drive right now so I'll wait to test in that OS.

I also had a problem with DG380. Motor didn't have enough torque to move 1 m dish. Got RMA from Sadoun and sent motor back more than a month ago and still waiting for replacement.

What kind of 1m dish? I had a problem with a Fortec dish where the motor had a problem moving it ....

Hi guys I just got my PowerTech DG380 dish but unfotunatelly it only moves to position 10 and then its over, no more movement.

I'm using windows 7 x64
Twinhan 1020 a
ProgDVB v6.23.2

Enb141,

Hmm, something doesn't quite jive with me regarding your system. I agree with the other responses regarding a PC card receiver application when it comes to support of a motor, but I disagree with the notion that the DG-380 motor would have trouble moving your dish.

I have several DG-380 motors and several 75c m, 1 M and 1.2 M dishes. There is no problem with the motor/dish combination here. The DG-380 vs any of these dish sizes is akin to a farm tractor pulling a VW bug it doesn't even seem to know that it is there.

I don't have any personal experience with a PC based receiver, so I don't know all the quirks involved here, but it seems to me that if it (the PC based receiver) could start to drive the motor and dish from the center position towards either side, that it should keep going. Driving the dish back from an extreme end of the travel to the center position would be where I would think the problem would present itself.

Are you certain that there are not any software limits set? Some parameter within the PC receiver that simply stops driving the motor on purpose?

I don't know anything specific about setting up a Twinhan, but I do have some questions about this scenario. Something doesn't seem right to me and without knowing the Twinhan PC receiver, I am lost to tell you anything to investigate, specifically.

It is this stopping at 10 degrees when driving AWAY from the center position that is bothering me and my logic. I would try to research software limits for the Twinhan. Just a suggestion.

RADAR

I've tried without the dish and it moves to the direction I want (30 East, 30 West, 33 East, 33 West) and some others that I've programmed in memory 1 thought 6, then I tried this again with 8 pounds of weight (dish base installed in the arm) and I could make the movements mentioned,

Last when I installed the satellite, it moved to the position 10 East and now no more movement, it got stuck there I can't even return to position 0 (center 0).

enb what is that dish's weight? I have a 380 , moves my dishes ok but I don't have one made of steel. The website you linked to doesn't list the weight. I think the 380 is rated at something over 30lbs. Sounds more like the motor isn't getting good power to run itself.

Reset the motor

I recommend that you try resetting the motor several times using the hardware reset and software reset. My DG380 has been running fine for quite a while now. I don't know why, but when I went about setting my system up with the Fortec Mercury, the motor would stop moving east or west prematurely. This happened many times during setup. Resetting the motor (also many times) during the setup took care of everything. Just a thought.

Status
Please reply by conversation.