PPV bomb drops on Feb 1st

Not widely known yet, but the satellite industry is required under contract with movie studios to ERASE all the recorded PPVs on your DVR as of 2/1/08. That's correct - all saved shows on hard drives will be erased and any new PPV purchases will be viewable for only 24 hours and then erased. It affects Direct and Dish.. wait until customers get wind of this!!!

i personally do not believe the above statement. Only way i will ever believe that statement is when i see a news release stating that.

Bluray?, ugh.

Why? They will be obsolete by years end. Bluray is the future.:)

Well, Bluray sucks big time. Not exactly the technology, rather the company (Sony). These people are always trying to trap the consumer into having to buy their products by making them proprietary.
Remember the betamax? They made the Betamax and wouldn’t license the technology to anyone. Their thinking was they could then sell the thing for whatever price they liked with no competition from anyone. Unfortunately for them, the company that held the rights for VHS was willing to license it to everyone. The end result was that when people went to the store for a recorder, the Betamax was lost among the dozens of VHS recorders on the store shelves. We all know what ultimately happened which was the Betamax was relegated to history’s junk pile, all due to the greed of Sony.

Remember Microchannel architecture? IBM tried the same tactic but lost out to ISA.

Sony is trying to pull this same crap again with their Bluray technology and if successful, they will be the only ones selling the players and they’ll be able to charge whatever their amount greedy little minds come up with.

They’re also attempting to do this with a proprietary competitor to the next generation USB standard.

Anytime there's only a single source for a technology, the consumer is the one that suffers.

There could be some truth to this... I found this on ElectronicRetailer.com...

Dish Network announces Video On Demand: Dish Network announced that they will be taking on cable with a new method of delivering Video On Demand programming. Dish will introduce a new receiver called the Dishplayer DVR 625. This receiver will be similar to the present 522. It will have two tuners and two outputs, that is, it will be two satellite receivers in one box using one hard drive. All of the features of the 522 will be retained plus a new larger hard drive will allow Dish to download and store on the hard drive 100 hours of premium VOD programming content. Customers may "buy" a movie or other show that has been stored on the hard drive. All movies bought by the customer will erase within 24 hours in order to keep Hollywood happy. Customers will only pay for the VOD content thry watch. Movies may not be recopied to the hard drive. Customers can make a non digital copy of the movie to a VCR. Dish announced that the will offer on line betting on horse racing from the TVG channel, where allowed, and ITV shopping from Sharper Image. A new 942 High Definition two tuner receiver that will allow for recording of High Definition content. This will be like two receivers in one box allowing recording of HD content on one receiver and standard definition recording on the other

Of course this article was from the Jan 2005 CES!!! :D

Dish did something similar when I stopped that "3 months free" Showtime promotion. I had recorded a few shows and after I canceled these all changed to "locked events" on the DVR. I could enter my code and get past that, but then sometimes I had to reenter my code several more times as I was trying to start the show. Weird. I never ended up watching any of those recordings other than the first few minutes. I just deleted them, none were good enough to waste my time on (hence, my canceling of Showtime after the 3 months free). I do not know if I would have been allowed to watch them all the way through or if I would have had to continually reenter my code. Dish certainly TRIED to make it difficult to watch those shows - whether there was a workaround or not, I'll never know.

Amazon unbox is doing this

You rent a movie, you get to keep it for 30 days but if you watch it, you must complete watching it in 24 hours or it is deleted.

This is stupid, since you can watch a dv for 3-4 days before returning it.

They also block transferring this movie from one device/tivo to another.

Its really such a small thing but I can understand peoples upset, still I would rather have cheaper programming and more selection and ala carte.

Does PPV really generate them that much revenue? They would not have all of those PPV channels if it did not create a real good income for them.

Does this only affect PPV movies or does this also affect movies that you have stored on your hard drive from HBO/Cinemax/Stars/Showtime/etc ? Does this affect adult movies you recorded to your hard drive as a pay per view? What if you stored adult movies to the hard drive when you subscribed to the service and kept them on there? Will those be erased as well? Or is this only the cheap Pay Per View movies that this affects?

All you people making fun of the original poster -- yeah, I certainly agree it's not a good idea to trust stories with no proof, but on the other hand do you really trust businesses not to do things which go against the public interest? Have you not read the other DRM thread?

Well, Bluray sucks big time. Not exactly the technology, rather the company (Sony). These people are always trying to trap the consumer into having to buy their products by making them proprietary.
Remember the betamax? They made the Betamax and wouldn’t license the technology to anyone. Their thinking was they could then sell the thing for whatever price they liked with no competition from anyone. Unfortunately for them, the company that held the rights for VHS was willing to license it to everyone. The end result was that when people went to the store for a recorder, the Betamax was lost among the dozens of VHS recorders on the store shelves. We all know what ultimately happened which was the Betamax was relegated to history’s junk pile, all due to the greed of Sony.

Remember Microchannel architecture? IBM tried the same tactic but lost out to ISA.

Sony is trying to pull this same crap again with their Bluray technology and if successful, they will be the only ones selling the players and they’ll be able to charge whatever their amount greedy little minds come up with.

They’re also attempting to do this with a proprietary competitor to the next generation USB standard.

Anytime there's only a single source for a technology, the consumer is the one that suffers.

Bluray is not just Sony. Do some research why don't you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)