PQ on NBC NFL Game Thursday

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
On the NBC NFL game Thursday night, did anyone else notice moments when the picture looked soft? I was watching WFLA from Tampa via OTA on my 622, so we can't blame Dish. There were moments just as they put a on screen graphic up that the image looked almost SD, then it would come back. I was wondering if anyone else noticed.

On the NBC NFL game Thursday night, did anyone else notice moments when the picture looked soft? I was watching WFLA from Tampa via OTA on my 622, so we can't blame Dish. There were moments just as they put a on screen graphic up that the image looked almost SD, then it would come back. I was wondering if anyone else noticed.
It's highly likely the graphics were up converted SD. It's going to take time and money to get every production element to HD.

It was the actual filed camera image that went soft as the graphic was overlayed. The graphic looked nice. Just same old stupid NBC sports crap.

I've noticed that CBS and Fox have outstanding HD NFL games so far this preseason. Hopefully that carries over to the regular season.

NBC used the SD feed for graphics. That was upconverted stuff you saw whenever the graphics came up. A cost cutting thing that we have compained about as affiliates. They just pass it off as it's early in the game of HD.

I noticed the orange on the first down markers appeared to be "moving" when the action went by them. I have noticed poor pq on Notre Dame broadcasts and NHL games as well on NBC. Thank goodness NBC does not have the Super Bowl this year...hopefully things will change next year when NBC does have the Super Bowl.

I've read several news sources who all say the same thing: NBC's HD is the worst of all the 4 major networks. Several technical folks have blasted NBC for their poor HD quality.

The only things they do right are news (Today and NBC Nightly News) and talk shows (Conan and Jay). Even my CW shows (owned by the same local group as the local NBC station) look better. NBC's sports coverage is just awful. I feel like I'm watching upconverted VHS (not even Beta or DVD) at times.

Sports look blurry because NBC is 1080i, it does not do fast motion very well. CBS's 1080i is better but golf is not fast action and tennis is mostly from behind players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)