PQ with dish-supplied component cables

dan in la

Original poster
May 17, 2004
will picture quality improve if i buy better component cables vs. those supplied by dish with the 811? i'm also using tivo with cheap s-video cables - will i see a difference with better s-video cables? the cables from my avr to my tv are high quality.... thx

You might. But, don't go crazy with Monster or other incredibly high-priced brands. They are a complete and utter waste of money.
You can always experiment by replacing the Dish-supplied cables with another brand. If there is no improvement, return them for a refund, no harm done.
BTW, I have found the Dish-supplied cables with my 811 to work just fine. I have no problem other than Dish's own issues with overcompression (mostly on local channels) and some loss of detail in dark areas of the picture on the 811. Neither is related to the cables.

Dont buy-into Monsters gimmicks. There are other specialty cable manufacturers out there that use quality(caliber) materials that Monster claimes to use to produce a good interconnect, and they cost about half as much.
-Freya1

I have monster cable running to everything. 4 component cables, 4 optical, and about 100' of speaker cable and I must say there IS a sound and video difference! I thought exactly as many would about cables. Cables are cables right? Well, being the skeptic that I am, I gave it a shot, knowing I could return it, nevertheless, I have yet to return any of the cables. Yes, they are pricey, but there are several different choices of monster cable. I am using the stage 2 component cable, and for sh*ts and giggles I went out and bought stage 3 THX certified cables and I saw nor heard any difference. The biggest difference I have found is when I upgraded from low-end market component cables to stage 2 monster cables. It is up to you to decide. Take it from me, I am NOT disappointed spending about 500 bucks for quality sound and audio equipment cable. Why buy a Ferrari and only put 87 octane in the tank. It does make a difference! Hope my insight may help.

Whatever makes you happy Enforcer. It's your money.

OTOH, there is some truth to what you say in that you upgraded from low-grade stuff to mid-grade Monster brand. Any decent cable will perform better than cheap, crappy ones.

However:
-Cables of equal quality to Monster are available for a fraction of the price.
-Nobody suggests that cheap, crappy cables are OK. Only that Monster brand, and most other high-end brands, are the AV equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes.

I am just giving my opinion on Monster cable. I have tried many brands, some that aren't even available in stores, and I found Monster hold their ground. Not knowing what type of HT system the original poster of this thread has, I am speaking of those who are into mid to high end HT systems. My reasoning of thinking is, If someone has the money to drop around 2 grand on a HDTV, and they want the optimal sound and video, (including ISF calibration) I would think it would seem obvious to spend the money on quality cables. Like i said before in my previous post, if they don't produce an improvement, return them, simple as that. Everyone has a different threshold for sound and video. My tastes my not suit "smelly Joe" down the street, so it all depends on what the consumer wishes to spend and their personal experiences with a particular product.

Key word...."around" 2 grand. :) I am speaking of Rear projection HT systems, not 100'' projector systems. Either way, to the "average" consumer who wants a mid range Ht will probably spend around 8 grand or so, depending on components used. Again, my little disclaimer "depending on components used." hehe :)

Each to their own. Make sure you buy one of those $180 super-duper DVI cables Monster sells :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Enforcer said:
Actually, I see little to zero difference from component to DVI.

Depends on the display. On my Samsung DLP DVI gives a noticeably better picture especially when watching SD material. Of course that's through my $21.00 ($16 + $5 shipping) DVI cable :D

NightRyder

Monster Analog (component) cables *MIGHT* make a slight difference (doubt it though!)

BUT

Monster DVI (Digital) is a complete waste of hard earned cash, though it does keep Best-Buy "associates" in acne cream. ;)

Digital either works or it don't.... :yes

My $10 (Ebay sourced) DVI digital cable works just fine, thankyou, and no overpriced "High Fullootin Tootin Monstaaaaaar" crap is gonna improve anything for me.

You can't compare cables when in the Digital (DVI) world.... it either works or it don't! ...simple (electrical) physics.

I'm with Gary. :D

sirlurkalot said:
Monster Analog (component) cables *MIGHT* make a slight difference (doubt it though!)

BUT

Monster DVI (Digital) is a complete waste of hard earned cash, though it does keep Best-Buy "associates" in acne cream. ;)

Digital either works or it don't.... :yes

My $10 (Ebay sourced) DVI digital cable works just fine, thankyou, and no overpriced "High Fullootin Tootin Monstaaaaaar" crap is gonna improve anything for me.

You can't compare cables when in the Digital (DVI) world.... it either works or it don't! ...simple (electrical) physics.

I'm with Gary. :D

I am not saying Monster will transform your HT from night to day! I am saying I have seen PQ improvements that is worth the money. As far as DVI, I am watching the Stanley cup finals on ESPNHD right now and I am switching back and forth from component and DVI, and I see slight difference. DVI the colors are more vibrant. Other than that, no difference. I am going to say this again, if it doesnt work for you get a refund! There is no harm in trying! As to your comment concerning electrical physics, your talking to someone who has extensive experience dealing with video physics. I work in the security industry and use video all the time, whether it be DVR, or fiber optic. Electric physics is all fine and dandy, however certain impendance and different forms of "connection points" do however make as you say digital is digital even more distinct. To the average Joe, they may not see a huge difference. Do i think paying 100 bucks for DVI cable for minimal difference. No I do not. But this is part of my everyday life and I like to experiment with certain technologies.

The absolute ONLY thing a "better" digital cable can get you is more distance between the boxes. It absolutely,positively can NOT give you a better picture.

Enforcer said:
I am not saying Monster will transform your HT from night to day! I am saying I have seen PQ improvements that is worth the money. As far as DVI, I am watching the Stanley cup finals on ESPNHD right now and I am switching back and forth from component and DVI, and I see slight difference. DVI the colors are more vibrant. Other than that, no difference. I am going to say this again, if it doesnt work for you get a refund! There is no harm in trying! As to your comment concerning electrical physics, your talking to someone who has extensive experience dealing with video physics. I work in the security industry and use video all the time, whether it be DVR, or fiber optic. Electric physics is all fine and dandy, however certain impendance and different forms of "connection points" do however make as you say digital is digital even more distinct. To the average Joe, they may not see a huge difference. Do i think paying 100 bucks for DVI cable for minimal difference. No I do not. But this is part of my everyday life and I like to experiment with certain technologies.

Okay expert, what the hell is impendance? LOL, did you mean impedance? The DVI spec calls for a specific impedance (just like any cable) which any DVI cable should meet. Digital is there or it isn't. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I suppose security "experts" have more experience in electrical engineering?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)