PQ with HDMI vs. Composite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sancho

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I was having some audio problems using my HDMI connection from my HR-21 to my tv, so I decided to connect the HR-21 to the TV with composite cables instead.

After watching over the weekend, I think that the PQ is actually slightly better with the composite than it was the the HDMI.

Has anyone else compared PQ with HDMI vs. composite cables? What were your thoughts?

If you are getting better PQ results with composite vs HDMI there are at least a few thing wrong with the setup.

Also, what were the audio issues via HDMI? Make sure when using HDMI directly between ore DirecTV to TV to turn off dolby digital.

I was having some audio problems using my HDMI connection from my HR-21 to my tv, so I decided to connect the HR-21 to the TV with composite cables instead.

After watching over the weekend, I think that the PQ is actually slightly better with the composite than it was the the HDMI.

Has anyone else compared PQ with HDMI vs. composite cables? What were your thoughts?
Do you mean component instead of composite? Both component and HDMI can send a HD signal; composite can only send a SD signal.

HDMI to me looks more sharper especially with the Guide for some reason.....it can also be my eyes playing tricks(which is a possibility)

HDMI to me looks more sharper especially with the Guide for some reason.....it can also be my eyes playing tricks(which is a possibility)
If your composite (which MUST be SD) looks better than HDMI, I fully agree with Mr. Bourbon Tester, you have issues! There is NO WAY. :cool:

Yeah, I meant component.

The issue I was having was a speaker problem, not an HDMI problem, but I didn't discover that was the case until I unhooked and reconfigured everything. After the reconfig I looked at the picture and it looked slightly better. I reconected the HDMI so that I actually had 2 connections between my tv and my HR-21 (one component and one HDMI) and then flipped back and forth between the two periodically throughout the day to compare. I liked the component picture a little better. I adjusted settings and spent more time tinkering with it than I should have, but still felt the best picture was with component.

I did some checking on various tech sites and found that depending on numerous factors, it is possible for component PQ to be as good or better than HDMI PQ. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

"possible for component PQ to be as good as HDMI PQ"

sure it is; and many people do this; I was thinking you said composite.

Yeah, I meant component.

The issue I was having was a speaker problem, not an HDMI problem, but I didn't discover that was the case until I unhooked and reconfigured everything. After the reconfig I looked at the picture and it looked slightly better. I reconected the HDMI so that I actually had 2 connections between my tv and my HR-21 (one component and one HDMI) and then flipped back and forth between the two periodically throughout the day to compare. I liked the component picture a little better. I adjusted settings and spent more time tinkering with it than I should have, but still felt the best picture was with component.

I did some checking on various tech sites and found that depending on numerous factors, it is possible for component PQ to be as good or better than HDMI PQ. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

Sancho, believe what your eyes and ears tell you and go with that.

The biggest advantage that HDMI cables have over component is that it gives you a "one cable" solution for both video and audio. Component requires a RGB cable for the video plus 2 RCA cables for the audio.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
The HDMI cable sends the video and audio in digital form and lets to TV convert the signal. With component the signal is converted in the STB. Your audio is superior (up to 7.1) with HDMI. The video depends on whether your TV or the STB has a better scaler. On Sony's always use the HDMI.:D

Its possible that you would get a better picture with COMPONENT :p
Some do, some get better with HDMI. Personally, I can tell much difference. Just go with what looks better to you:up

Assuming he is using an A/V receiver (and I think he said to TV); not many TVs support TOSlink and I do not know of many (if any) the support multi-channel

A lot depends on the TV. An alternative would be to use the HDMI for video, but feed an AV receiver with the optical digital.

Exactly what I do. Considering my TV doesn't have an HDMI input. Only DVI.

I use the audio RCA's to the TV from the STB for use especially in the morning when I really don't need my A/V receiver to watch the news before going to work.

I have an R22 and when I hook up via HDMI to my TV is looks worse than S- Video. I am going to get some COMPONENT cables to see if that's better.
I would say you either need your TV calibrated or there is something wrong. There is no way that HDMI would look worse than s-video.

Last edited:
I would say you either need your TV calibrated or their is something wrong. There is no way that HDMI would look worse than s-video.
Thats not 100% true. With SD content, thats not the first time I have heard S-video looking better than HDMI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts