PR: TiVo Debuts Revolutionary Series3 High Definition Digital Media Recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Lot's of grumbling about Cablecard support for the Series3 being reported at AVSForum, which is pretty much why the Sony and LG units were discontinued. Cablecard has not exactly been well received nor well supported. If you ask my opionion, the Sony (DHG-HDD250/500) works very well with the free TV Guide On Screen once you get past the initial teeth kicking experience of getting it setup.

I do hope the Series3 is successful and that we see Sony and LG return to making cable HD DVR.

I think The Windows Vista based Media Center PCs (with cablecard support) will be the big competition for the S3.

While a PC will likely cost more, it'll also do a whole lot more.

Tivo addicts will be Tivo addicts though. I bought one S3 and have through the end of the year to figure out if I want / need two more to migrate my lifetime service(s) to.

FWIW, my Series 3 arrived yesterday and this box is just awesome. I had both tuners busy for primetime last night.

The interface is rediculouly fast, especially as compared to the older '540' Series 2 DVRs. The picture is excellent and the off-air tuner is everything I love about the Voom box without the bugs. I can watch / record PBS HD now :cool:.

There is no question that I'll be picking up another one if not two to replace my other two S2s.

rockymtnhigh said:
The press release said it supports over the air hd recordings (ATSC).

But I wonder why it can only do 32 hours if it can do 300 hours of SD. The 622 does 30/200; I would think that an extra hour 100 hours of SD would equate to another 13 - 15 hours of HD.

I'll pass too. I like my 622. :)
I thought it was 1 HD hour for 8 of SD.....25 hrs HD 200 SD on the 622....
OK just found out on the E* webby..it is 30 hrs of HD and 200SD....Yer correct....

snathanb said:
Maybe the 32 hours is based on full bit-rate HD... not ahem, Dish networks version.
Very intuitive..But if not OTA, what cable /sat provider can deliver full HD broadcasts?....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)