Pre New Install Quetions - 1) Eastern/Western Arc / 1000.2 or .4?

flyover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Columbia, MO
Hello All,

I have been doing some reading of posts in anticipation of calling for a new install & the more reading I do, the more questions I have, so I thoght I'd jump in and start asking, so I'll know what to order and how to speak with the tech. I'll try to keep them simple and ask different questions in subsequent posts.

I have one HD set in my living room and one SD in the kitchen. My house is wired with ethernet and wireless. Unfortunately my internet is limited to 1.5 G DSL due to being in the county. I have a server with MP3's and other media on it. I previously had the aother satellite provider (12 yrs) and have gotten tired of seeing channels that I watch being offered in HD elsewhere. I'm looking at getting the 250 package for HD and a DVR.

1) I've listed my coordinates below. In looking at the Satellite finder for my location, it looks like I could get the eastern arc or the western arc, with the eastern arc looking like there would be less chance of tree interference. Which one should I use?

1a) I noticed in another thread that the 1000.4 is being discontinued after a certain date. Has that happened? If available, is the 1000.4 a better choice than the 1000.2 for HD content?

Latitude 39.016084 °
N 39 ° 0' 57.9"
39 ° 0.9650' (degree m.mmmm)
Longitude -92.360812 °
W 92 ° 21' 38.9"
-92 ° 21.6487' (degree m.mmmm)

Well that's a start. I'll get into the receivers question in another post. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The 1000.4 has a longer arm for the LNB, and the reflector is larger. But the picture quality is the same, just depends on where you're pointed, which is usually determined on what satellites your local channels are uplinked to.

Columbia, MO's HD locals come off 61.5, so you'll probably be installed with a 1000.4 eastern arc.

It was only the 1000.4 western arc dish that was mentioned being discontinued, the EA still remains.

Dish will determine which arc to install. As MattG (an official Dish customer service Rep) pointed out, your locals in HD are on the Eastern Arc, so that is what Dish will want to install, barring LOS issues.

No need to worry about what exact dish will be used, the tech will install the correct one, and as said in a reply above, picture quality is not affected, it is a digital signal.

Your internet connection does not come into play for watching satellite programming, unless you want to use VOD, Dishonline, etc...(It does not affect PPV) Many of us think the VOD is not all that great at this time anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)