Pre-owned 811 Receiver

Jim1648

Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
I am considering buying a pre-owned DISH 811 receiver. If I do this, can I
just switch my existing service over to this receiver? If I do, do I have
to subscribe to High Def DISH? Also, if I were to use this with a HDTV,
does the OTA tuner receive both regular analog and digital signals?

First, make sure that the 811 doesn't have any outstanding balances, or is a lease receiver! Get the R00- and S00 numbers from the seller and e-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com to make sure it doesn't have a outstanding balance or is leased receiver before you do anything else. Don't just trust the seller, (unless you know them very well, and then ?)

You don't have to have the HD pack to have the 811. Now if you leased one you do, but if you are buying it it shouldn't matter. So yes, you should be able to switch your service over. The receiver receives both analog and DTV (Digital TV) signals and puts them into the EPG along with your satellite channels. However, if you are just wanting it for HD OTA, why not go buy a OTA HD tuner, Wal-Mart in my area has one for about $199. That way, you can wait for a better Dish receiver (they'll probally replace the 811 before long) and a better selection of HD on Dish. (5 channels in the HD Pack, Showtime-HD, HBO-HD, and CBS-HD in areas were CBS actually owns your CBS affiliate)

Tony, thank you for the reply. I actually did buy the Wal-Mart DTV OTA unit a couple of weeks ago for the upstairs room. I like the DTV OTA stuff enough that I thought about getting the 811. Then I found a refurbished unit at a dealer for $200 including shipping. I thought rather than adding another box it might be nice to have satellite service and OTA tuners in one box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)