Preinstall questions/concerns??

Thanks IIP, So if I order a ViP722k (one HDTV & one SDTV) and two ViP 211K's (two other HDTV's) am I likely to get that particular hardware? Also will it be reman or new? How can one tell?

Also what antenna would I likely get (1000.2)? (zip code 80112) Would the 1000.2 be your choice?

Thanks for your help!

722K and 211K are all new - just came out. If they do not have them on the truck, refuse install until they are available.

You should get a 1000.2 dish, anything else would be questionable.

I have read frequently that despite what you (the paying customer) want/ordered the installer just shows up with what HE wants to install? Is that as common as I seem to be reading in various posts?

That is utter Bullsh!t.
Now look. We get equipment straight from Dish Network. There is ZERO incenytive for us to buy, yes buy anything but the latest equipment.
The same applies to others as well. If anyone is "redistributing" equipment they should not be.
Your chance of getting substandard equipment is nil.

722K and 211K are all new - just came out. If they do not have them on the truck, refuse install until they are available.

What in God's Green earth are you talking about?
First you dont even know where the OP lives. For all you know he couyld be in an EA DMA. For which he would need a 1000.4
Next, if the work order calls for 722, that is what the customer gets. If all we have in stock are 722k's, he gets that. If the install company has only 222's and the W/O says 222k we install the 222. Same applies for 722/722k. There has not been a 211/411 in our midst for quite some time. 211k's are the norm.
Dish has a specific method or chain which indicates comparable receivers.
PLease do not instruct cusomers to "refuse" an install on false information.

What in God's Green earth are you talking about?
First you dont even know where the OP lives. For all you know he couyld be in an EA DMA. For which he would need a 1000.4

I believe Jim5506 was basing his comment concerning the antenna off of the information on my location. Did you note this above,
" Also what antenna would I likely get (1000.2)? (zip code 80112)"
Would not my location by zip code be sufficient to determine my antenna model number?

No, unless you reschedule, you keep what you got once those receivers are activated.

Keep in mind that installers have very little control over what they get. When Dish is out of a receiver type, they could be out of it for a month or more, or only get in a few that go out fast. As a sub, if receivers are running low, I either take an "equivalent replacement" or I don't get any work. It's the same with new vs. refurbs; you get whatever they give you.

With HD, you have a good chance of getting a new, recent-model receiver. With SD, chances are it's a refurb, as Dish has nearly elmininated the manufacture of SD receivers, and is using the remans pulled from HD upgrades and Eastern Arc areas to install new SD jobs. It's been many months since I've seen a new 625, 322, or 311.

The only SD equipment we can install anymore is free for all's. We retailers have to install HD equipment for all other installs no matter what and we are not happy about it. nothing worse than getting to customers house to install , lets say a 722, and the customer has a tv with no RCA or HDMI just cable connection. a real pain.

I believe Jim5506 was basing his comment concerning the antenna off of the information on my location. Did you note this above,
" Also what antenna would I likely get (1000.2)? (zip code 80112)"
Would not my location by zip code be sufficient to determine my antenna model number?
didn't see the zip until now.
Nevertheless, you'd get the proper dish and equipemnt
Installers do not have discretion as to what equipment you'll get. That is what the worker is for.
You won't get junk or used equipment or any other sort of nonsense.

The only SD equipment we can install anymore is free for all's. We retailers have to install HD equipment for all other installs no matter what and we are not happy about it. nothing worse than getting to customers house to install , lets say a 722, and the customer has a tv with no RCA or HDMI just cable connection. a real pain.

Are you considered an "Eastern Arc" location? If so, that's probably why: all new installs in EA locations are supposed to be EA only, which means ViP receivers.

We still put in lots of SD equipment in California.

Perhaps you would like to tell him how to tell the difference between a new one and a reman.

I always want to ask one question on the customer who is insistent on "new" equipment: Where in heck do you think remans come from? DOH!!

Here's a little tip for all of you customers: You're barking up the wrong tree when tripping over "reman" vs. "new".

What you really need to be concerned about is the particular model (e.g., 381, 622) of receiver you're getting. God knows there are 2 particular models (hint, hint) that I'll never allow in my house.

I used Dish's list of local retailers, did my own research on them, narrowed the list down, and talked to them directly. I chose a retailer who worked with me. I waited until he had the receiver (and dish) that I wanted. He did the install in a location and manner that was totally acceptable to me. Plus, I got the same deal as calling the 800 number.

I couldn't be happier with the install, equipment, and programming and with my decision to drop Comcast after more than 26 years.

Here's a little tip for all of you customers: You're barking up the wrong tree when tripping over "reman" vs. "new".
I didn't want to say this before, but since we're tangentizing now...

I used to work at a Computer Renaissance franchise, where we dealt in new, used, and factory refurb hardware. The owner of my store and I were talking one day, and I grumbled that a new batch of printers was reman, and only ten dollars cheaper than next door, and he said to me this:

[P] We sell refurb printers for $100, and next door at Best Buy they sell the same model for $110. Why should the customer buy ours if it's second hand? The answer is simple: when you buy one at Best Buy, you're paying $10 extra for a good chance that it's defective. Ours have already been back to the factory, whatever was wrong was fixed, and we give our customers a $10 discount WITH our assurance that it's going to work fine for years. The net result being that our printers are actually more reliable and vastly cheaper (once time is factored) than the price tag alone would lead you to believe.

Yes, hard drives fail with time, but an extra 3-6 months of usage doesn't matter much in a world where the drive's MTBF is still longer than the product's obsolescence target. How many 921s were built? A bunch. How many 921 disks failed? A few. How many 921s are still capable of receiving high-def programming? ZERO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)