Prevent Joey Access to DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docuw

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
SLC
I have a 2 Hopper 4 Joey setup. It works flawlessly. But, one of the Joeys serves a guest room that doesn't really need to have access to the families DVR and recall histories. Is there any way to lock the Joey from seeing all of that stuff?

A non technical way, be sure anything you don't want guests to be able to see are on one Hopper, and have the Joey set to see the other Hopper. They would most likely have to either be a reader of these forums or have a Hopper system to know how to switch Hoppers. When full integration takes place this may not work as I believe a Joey will see both Hoppers at the same time.
As an alternative have those programs on an EHD and disconnect it when you have guests.

I also believe you can use an isolator (or it takes two?) and that would prevent a Joey from seeing one of the Hoppers at all..........

An option, albeit a klutzy one, is to block channels on the Joey. You would have to include all of the channels that correspond to recordings though. When you do this, presuming it works similarly to how it works on the ViP receivers, the DVR events will all appear as "Locked event" and will require your PIN to play them.

This was a question I asked long ago and was told that yes, these "Parental Control" type features would be included. I guess they were not!

Specifically, I don't want a guest to be able to delete or schedule recordings.

I guess I will be better off staying with what I have.

This was a question I asked long ago and was told that yes, these "Parental Control" type features would be included. I guess they were not!

Specifically, I don't want a guest to be able to delete or schedule recordings.

I guess I will be better off staying with what I have.

The Parental Control options of locking the receiver can be set up on the Hopper and then copied to any or all of the Joeys and works just like all of our receivers.

The Parental Control options of locking the receiver can be set up on the Hopper and then copied to any or all of the Joeys and works just like all of our receivers.

No, I specifically asked if you would be able to limit what specific Joey's can see/do. Apparently you cannot. I do not want to have to lock down a Hopper, and inconvenience me, because I don't want someone in a guest room changing my recordings.

No, I specifically asked if you would be able to limit what specific Joey's can see/do. Apparently you cannot. I do not want to have to lock down a Hopper, and inconvenience me, because I don't want someone in a guest room changing my recordings.
Mind you, I don't have a H/J (yet) but can you not set the parental controls at the Joey alone ? If you can't and it has to be done on the Hopper, by "copy", could one block the channels and in turn the DVR events on the Hopper, copy it to the Joey, and then delete the controls at the Hopper after copying ?

Mind you, I don't have a H/J (yet) but can you not set the parental controls at the Joey alone ? If you can't and it has to be done on the Hopper, by "copy", could one block the channels and in turn the DVR events on the Hopper, copy it to the Joey, and then delete the controls at the Hopper after copying ?

All the parental controls Dish has ever had (channel/ratings/content/etc) with one exception can be set at each Joey individually. They have made it easier than the VIP series by allowing you to set controls on one unit and then copy them to the Joeys(on VIP you had to set TV1 and TV2 separately). You don't have to copy the settings, you can set each unit up separately or copy the settings for a basic template and then customize each unit as needed.

The one exception between VIP and Hopper is that "protected" recordings can be deleted without entering a PIN on Hopper/Joey. Not sure if this is as designed or a bug (I consider it a bug).

StevenD wants controls on what DVR funtionality each Joey has - something Dish has never had between TV1/TV2 on VIP. It's a good idea, but would be a new feature.

Last edited:
I do like the ability to copy settings. It was annoying blocking channels on TV1 and having to start completely over on TV2 with the 522, 625, 622, and 722k....

Has anyone tried my suggestion above about blocking the Joey ? It's not perfect but so far, it sounds like one of the only options.

Sounds like they need another config screen, with a matrix of checkboxes you administer from the Hopper to assign abilities.

Columns could be "Manage Timers" "View DVR Events" "Delete DVR events" "View History" "Watch Live TV" etc.
One row per attached Joey.

Uncheck all the boxes except "Live TV" for your guestroom, uncheck "Delete DVR" for the kids, etc.

Sounds like they need another config screen, with a matrix of checkboxes you administer from the Hopper to assign abilities.

Columns could be "Manage Timers" "View DVR Events" "Delete DVR events" "View History" "Watch Live TV" etc.
One row per attached Joey.

Uncheck all the boxes except "Live TV" for your guestroom, uncheck "Delete DVR" for the kids, etc.

That would be awesome! I

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)