Previous Customer Needs Advice

netsfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys.

I recently spoke to a very nice fellow at Dish Network who said I can sign up for the Digital Home promo again if I commit to a 2 year contract. (I had previously been told I couldn't even do that!)

Now, two years is a long time to commit, and I want to explore my options before doing so. So I come here asking for your expert advice!

If I go on ebay (or any other place you recommend) and buy my own equipment (dish, 2 receivers) what is the minimum out-of-pocket expenses I am looking at? I know someone who can install it for me very cheap, but I do need to purchase the equipment, at the cheapest rate possible. :D

Also, on a related note, if I do sign up for DHA (which I'm tempted to do), if I am allowed to get the DVR, how does that work? Can only 1 tv actually record, or can all of them? I noticed they only give you 1 DVR receiver, so can you only record one program at a time? I feel stupid asking this, but I've never had DVR or Tivo before, and it's a little confusing.

Thanks a lot!

Minimum out of pocket expenses is going to vary depending on what you get. If you are patient, you are looking at probably $50+ shipped for a complete 2 receiver system like this. Just make sure the receivers are clean (not leased) and don't have a balance. Wiring/installtion is obviously extra. DVRs obviously are going to increase your expenses.

I have purchased all of my equipment, 921, 4 811's, 510 and 3 311's, so I have a fortune tied up in equipment. Several months ago I was eligible to lease 2 811's. Same price as I was paying for extra receiver charge so I leased 2 and sold 2 on ebay.

I would lean toward lease now, that way if MPEG4 comes through in a year or so you wouldn't have all the money tied up.

You can get up to 4 rooms lease, including a DVR, HD DVR for a fee, and HD Receivers if you want.

2 years is a long time, so I guess it depends on what you need. If you can go with a 508 and find some 311's on ebay for under 200 bucks total, I would do that, if your wanting HD stuff, then I guess I would lease.

I went through 3 301's, not impressed, so I wouldn't look too hard for them.

netsfan said:
Hey guys.

I recently spoke to a very nice fellow at Dish Network who said I can sign up for the Digital Home promo again if I commit to a 2 year contract. (I had previously been told I couldn't even do that!)

Now, two years is a long time to commit, and I want to explore my options before doing so. So I come here asking for your expert advice!

If I go on ebay (or any other place you recommend) and buy my own equipment (dish, 2 receivers) what is the minimum out-of-pocket expenses I am looking at? I know someone who can install it for me very cheap, but I do need to purchase the equipment, at the cheapest rate possible. :D

Also, on a related note, if I do sign up for DHA (which I'm tempted to do), if I am allowed to get the DVR, how does that work? Can only 1 tv actually record, or can all of them? I noticed they only give you 1 DVR receiver, so can you only record one program at a time? I feel stupid asking this, but I've never had DVR or Tivo before, and it's a little confusing.

Thanks a lot!

First of all, be careful buying receivers on Ebay. Always get the receiver and smart card numbers before bidding and have an agent confirm that there is not a balance owed on the equipment. Do not buy a receiver if it states the smart card is not included. It's almost impossible to just buy a smart card. Even the smart cards on ebay are linked to accounts, therefore you cannot transfer them to another receiver. Period. If you want Dish to come out and install the dish and 1 receiver, it's $99, and $59 for each additional receiver. However, this gives you a prof. install and an install warranty. It's really easy to install everything though. If you get basic equipment on ebay, you can spend maybe $300 for everything (2 basic, non-hd/dvr receivers). Just buyer beware! You can lease equipment from Dish which was the 2year thing you were talking about, but you get 4 rooms, upgraded equipment, free install, free warranty for 2 years, etc.

Thank you very much for all your prompt replies.

Right now, I am heavily leaning towards signing that 2 year contract, especially if I can sign up for the DVR (will have to ask). Is there any reason that you would recommend NOT signing a 2 year agreement, like new technologies, better options upcoming, etc.? If something goes wrong with the equipment, do they come out and fix it for free? What if I move (highly unlikely, but still good to know)?

Thanks again!

Da Troof

The truth is, netsfan, that I would recommend the 2 year contract. After all; it is tv, and you are gonna need to buy it from someone.(unless u got rabbit ears :p ) sprintcarcrazy is right about rolling in new MPEG-4 technology. This is a "high-end" market (u know what I'm talking about if u ever checked out the price of a true HD tv's and their pricey peripherals {fiber optic cables, receivers...etc}. Satellite Television, unlike cable, requires the customer to have the neccessary equipment to receive all the services. Kinda like the Internet; you wouldn't subscribe to Earthlink or Netzero or even AOL ( :mad: ) and expect them to provide u with a computer ! It's like people with an old dish300 miss out on alot of their channels they are paying for if they had the AT180 programming package. This is the way of the future; according to Forbes, companies are requiring their customers to invest alot more money up-front in their products than ever before. Cellphones, MP3 players, Gaming Systems like X-box and even Phillips' Senseo Coffee Pod System requires repeated purchases of brand-specific products to use it.
About mp4's, how do u think D* is planning to roll out so many "high definition" stations in the next few years ? MPEG-4s are compressed at a significatly higher rate; making the file alot smaller allowing for the Satellite's transponders to carry alot more channels. When Dish Network does this ( and the chitter chatter is already circling); customers are gonna be forced to sign contracts to get the equipment at no up-front cost (lease). Otherwise they can go back to cable ( :D ) who has spoiled the general public with handing out everything for free.(safety by numbers ?) Me personally, cannot imagine going back to grandma's washed out, local commercial-ridden cable tv. Just like I would never buy a VCR.

So really, it depends on what u are looking for. If ur not there alot, and don't watch tv that much and need bare minimum; buy ur own equipment and dish and have ur buddy install it like u said. But u miss out on the proffesional warrantied installation. But like kitten2781 brought up; be careful when buying used receivers. If the receiver was deactivated with a balance on the account, u will have to pay it off before u can do anything with it. That smartcard in it is "married" to that receiver, and that receiver is married to the account unless removed off the account by DISH Network. If the seller has good intentions, then they will provide u with the R00 & S00 (receiver & Smartcard) numbers beforehand and let u call Dish and see if it is clear. Never buy a receiver with no smartcard; absolutely useless.

But I'd still go with the 2 year contract; u get the Dish Home Protection Plan, DHPP, for free for the term of the contract. Which due to the fickle nature of satellite tv is worth it's weight in gold. Remember this isn't cable; if D* or E* are gonna roll a truck to "service" u, it is gonna cost money. Usually about a hundred buckaroos unless u got warranty which gives it to u free or with significant discount ( $70 discount with Dish Network's DHPP).

Hope that helped. Felt like I went on a rant there for a minute, now that I am reading it back :rolleyes: !

Thanks a lot everyone. You are all so helpful here!

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards just signing that 2 yr contract! As you said, I have to get my TV from somewhere!

But for the sake of learning, here's some questions for you geniuses :D

Let's say I want to have American and International programming on 4 tvs. Can I do it with 2 of the following kits? - (20" multi-satellite antenna with dual LNBFs and Two DISH 301 receivers.) That would give me 2 dishes and 4 receivers. Would that work? What other equipment would I need? Ifffff (and I know a big IF!) that would work, would I have to pay another $5 for each additional receiver, or would that be waived if they're all connected to phone lines?

Ok with that question out of the way, back to the DH plan! With the 625 DVR system, it outputs to 2 TVs, but can both TVs use the DVR functions at the same time (record, etc.) or can only one TV use it, and the other TV will just be like a "regular" receiver?

I think that's it for now! Thanks again!!!

Since I'm asking questions, I may as well ask another!

Is it possible to sign up for DHA (lease one receiver) and instead of paying $5/mo to lease the second receiver, to use an already purchased one instead? Or would I have to pay the $5 anyway?

Enough questions yet? Don't worry, I'm sure I'll think of more! ;)

It's still $5/month.

You can get up to 4 tuners on DHA. If you go with the dual tuner boxes (322/522/625/942), you can avoid paying $5 for the second tuner just by keeping it plugged in to a phone line. The second receiver will cost $5/month, but IT'S second tuner can also be free.

To summarize:

4 single tuner boxes costs an extra $15/month. (3 times $5).

2 dual-tuner boxes costs an extra $5/month. No brainer.

netsfan said:
If something goes wrong with the equipment, do they come out and fix it for free? What if I move (highly unlikely, but still good to know)?
QUOTE]

While under install warranty, yes. There are legal ways to get your equip. moved for free. the warranty you get with the 2year comes with a free mover.

uWILLknow said:
Usually about a hundred buckaroos unless u got warranty which gives it to u free or with significant discount ( $70 with Dish Network's DHPP).

Thats a $70 discount, not the cost of the service call. (just to make it more clear) :D

netsfan said:
Thanks a lot everyone. You are all so helpful here!

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards just signing that 2 yr contract! As you said, I have to get my TV from somewhere!

But for the sake of learning, here's some questions for you geniuses :D

Let's say I want to have American and International programming on 4 tvs. Can I do it with 2 of the following kits? - (20" multi-satellite antenna with dual LNBFs and Two DISH 301 receivers.) That would give me 2 dishes and 4 receivers. Would that work? What other equipment would I need? Ifffff (and I know a big IF!) that would work, would I have to pay another $5 for each additional receiver, or would that be waived if they're all connected to phone lines?

Ok with that question out of the way, back to the DH plan! With the 625 DVR system, it outputs to 2 TVs, but can both TVs use the DVR functions at the same time (record, etc.) or can only one TV use it, and the other TV will just be like a "regular" receiver?

I think that's it for now! Thanks again!!!

The dish system you described will not work. You need a dish 500 and a dish 300, depending on the intrn'l programming you want. if the programming is on 121' or 105', you'll need a superdish.

Thank you kitten2781, uWILLknow, sprintcarcrazy, SimpleSimon, and cdru!

So even if I've purchased the 2nd receiver, I still have to pay the Equipment Rental Fee of $5 on it? Or is it a different $5 fee then?

What equipment would I exactly need if I purchase it? I want to get int'l programming off of 61.5, plus American programming. What is the diff. between dish 500 and 300? What switches and lnb's do I need? What kind of receivers do I need to get programming from 2 dishes? Is there any site with a simple breakdown of what each part does and how to put a system together? I've tried searching and couldn't find anything that described things in simple practical terms. Thanks!

One last question - What are the advantages of leasing the official Dish DVR, versus buying a "generic" DVR (Tivo series 1, or S2 w/basic, etc - hope I'm using the right terminology, I just spent hours learning this stuff!)? If you use the generic, can you still see the Dish program listings, including international channels? Thanks.

On additional receivers, you pay either the lease fee for rented unit or the addiotional outlet fee for purchased units. Not both.

Dish 300 is what the original 18" round dish is now known as. It can view 1 DBS satellite (61.5, 110, 119, 148, and soon 129) but can't be used for SuperDISH (105 or 121). It can have a legacy or DishPro Single or Dual output LNB.

Dish 500 is a 20" oval dish that can view 110 and 119. It originally came with 2 dual LNBs, then a legacy Twin, and now a DishPro Twin. Other possibilities are a legacy or DP Quad, and the new DP Plus Twin.

For Dish500 + 61.5 to 4 receivers you will need

- 3 legacy dual LNBs (or a Quad and a dual), SW64

- DP Twin, DP Single (or DP Dual), DP34 (or DPP44)

You can also hook up 4 independent TVs to 2 dual-tuner dual-output receivers

- DP Plus Twin, DP Single (or DP Dual), 2 DPP Separators

All Dish receivers are capable of receiving multiple satellites though some of the oldest ones don't recognize the SuperDISH FSS slots.

Legacy switches: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/11
DishPro Technology: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217
Twin (legacy, DP, DPP): http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35

BobaBird said:
On additional receivers, you pay either the lease fee for rented unit or the addiotional outlet fee for purchased units. Not both.

But isnt the additional outlet fee waived if I keep it hooked to a phone line? So if I purchase the second receiver, rather than leasing it, would there be no monthly fee on it?

netsfan said:
One last question - What are the advantages of leasing the official Dish DVR, versus buying a "generic" DVR (Tivo series 1, or S2 w/basic, etc - hope I'm using the right terminology, I just spent hours learning this stuff!)? If you use the generic, can you still see the Dish program listings, including international channels? Thanks.
No loss of quality. Integrated also means one-click recording without worrying about interfacing two boxes together.

netsfan said:
But isnt the additional outlet fee waived if I keep it hooked to a phone line? So if I purchase the second receiver, rather than leasing it, would there be no monthly fee on it?
There will be an a/o fee for each extra box, no getting around that. If the extra box is a dual-tuner dual-output model there is another a/o fee for the second output -- that is the fee that is waived for having the phone connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)