Price increase coming for locals?

Then never complain about a companies raising rates for something they give away for free....If in your words they caused the problem that would be the only one to fix it!
I don't, I use an antenna, so I never see a price increase. I was just commenting on government action. Like changing the "must carry" law which has led to these prices.

Reactions: edisonprime
I don't, I use an antenna, so I never see a price increase. I was just commenting on government action. Like changing the "must carry" law which has led to these prices.
And the POINT still stands, if they created the problem, they alone can FIX the problem!...Im not sure why thats hard to understand?....And many people in rural areas arnt as lucky as you are and are stuck paying for free channels.....!

Reactions: peggy97850
And the POINT still stands, if they created the problem, they alone can FIX the problem!...Im not sure why thats hard to understand?....And many people in rural areas arnt as lucky as you are and are stuck paying for free channels.....!
And my point is the government won't fix this. They will just make it worse than it already is.

EDIT: I am in favor of the government doing something though. That would be eliminating at least half of the bs laws and regulations on the books.

Respectfully to everybody. I sincerely believe we focus on the thread and not get into endless political discussion. Before you know it people get mad and constantly criticise each other. Not cool.
Im sorry you see it that way....no one has picked a side, pointing out a problem is not political in any way......Its about free channels finding a way to over price, and gouge customers.....Nothing wrong with pointing out how we got to this mess!

If they eliminate carriage fees most of the smaller market stations will shut down
Careful what you ask for

Reactions: charlesrshell
If they eliminate carriage fees most of the smaller market stations will shut down
Careful what you ask for
Why would that be?....The existed before didnt they?....They give their product away for free, correct?.....I live over 100 miles from Phoenix, I get only Phoenix news?....And it really isnt the carriage fee you paying for!

Retransmission consent is what your paying for.
If this is what they hang their hats on....Good let them die.....They were to be information for public consumption....Not a money making machine!....Why do you think all the little guys have gotten gobbled up?....We have like 7 companies that own 99% of the local broadcast, they use their muscle to charge us more and more!

Why would that be?....The existed before didnt they?....They give their product away for free, correct?.....I live over 100 miles from Phoenix, I get only Phoenix news?....And it really isnt the carriage fee you paying for!

Retransmission consent is what your paying for.
If this is what they hang their hats on....Good let them die.....They were to be information for public consumption....Not a money making machine!....Why do you think all the little guys have gotten gobbled up?....We have like 7 companies that own 99% of the local broadcast, they use their muscle to charge us more and more!
Its the glut of cable channels and streaming
Fewer viewers means they can't charge Cadillac prices any more...smaller stations are already consolidating news casts, master control, advertising departments studio space etc etc..if they lose that revenue stream many smaller stations will be forced to go black

Its the glut of cable channels and streaming
Fewer viewers means they can't charge Cadillac prices any more...smaller stations are already consolidating news casts, master control, advertising departments studio space etc etc..if they lose that revenue stream many smaller stations will be forced to go black
And if they can't make it on their free airwaves maybe they shouldn't be in business at all.

And people out in the sticks survived without local broadcasting before cable/satellite.
Absolutely true.....But Do they think I will drive to Phoenix for food they advertise?....A car dealership?...We have 3 fast food joints in a 20 mile radius....You have any idea how vague the weather forecast is?....LOL.... Yet they want a premium for it.....Nothing wrong paying a nominal fee, but we arnt seeing that at all....What we get is a handful of companies holding hostage stations across the country for more money every contract.....again, that they give away for FREE!

Reactions: Jim S.
Absolutely true.....But Do they think I will drive to Phoenix for food they advertise?....A car dealership?...We have 3 fast food joints in a 20 mile radius....You have any idea how vague the weather forecast is?....LOL.... Yet they want a premium for it.....Nothing wrong paying a nominal fee, but we arnt seeing that at all....What we get is a handful of companies holding hostage stations across the country for more money every contract.....again, that they give away for FREE!
OK, I'll bite. EXACTLY how much are you paying to each local station (ok, how much is Dish paying each local)?

"Nominal" is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe you are paying an extreme amount. I don't know and really you don't either. This is really simple. YOU have a choice. You know how much you need to pay for locals ($12/month). Don't think you get your money's worth? Drop them. I did. Presumably the programming they offer you feel is worth $12/month.

OK, I'll bite. EXACTLY how much are you paying to each local station (ok, how much is Dish paying each local)?

"Nominal" is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe you are paying an extreme amount. I don't know and really you don't either. This is really simple. YOU have a choice. You know how much you need to pay for locals ($12/month). Don't think you get your money's worth? Drop them. I did. Presumably the programming they offer you feel is worth $12/month.
I'll bit to...........I think ZERO is the perfect number in all seriousness!...ZERO...why? First its free they get money from advertising!....Second they base those ads by viewership, so they use the number by adding me to their over all numbers and then turn around and charge me what they give away free!........I dont think that could be more simple.....Classic double dipping, and on top of it they use all satellite to help inflate their advertising dollars....I have no empathy for money grubbing corporations!.....Why does it go up every contract?....Same programming, same ads, but they deserve more?.....In the olden days they were a public service.....Now just whores!

I'll bit to...........I think ZERO is the perfect number in all seriousness!...ZERO...why? First its free they get money from advertising!....Second they base those ads by viewership, so they use the number by adding me to their over all numbers and then turn around and charge me what they give away free!........I dont think that could be more simple.....Classic double dipping, and on top of it they use all satellite to help inflate their advertising dollars....I have no empathy for money grubbing corporations!.....Why does it go up every contract?....Same programming, same ads, but they deserve more?.....In the olden days they were a public service.....Now just whores!
Funny, you answered the question I didn't ask. First you said you'd be fine with a nominal fee, now you don't want to pay anything. OK, so don't. You have that option with Dish.

ESPN et al ALSO has adds and also charges for you to receive them. And I bet their price goes up every contract also.

You want OTA for free, here are your options:
1) Move somewhere where you can pick it up with an antenna.
2) Lobby your lawmakers to change the laws

That's it. Crying on an internet message board does nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: AZ.
My solution, the TiVo Bolt OTA with All In Service - 4 tuners.

I have 2 of them so I can record and watch almost everything OTA that I want.

Made the mistake of buying a TiVo Edge OTA with All In Service, only two tuners and they are pretty weak at that - probably sell it. Newer isn't always better, my Old TiVo Roamio OTA also has 4 OTA tuners and they are better than the Edge.
Buy the earlier model of the OTA Edge and that one has 4 tuners. I kinda like my Bolt that does 4K HDR just like the Edge does, but it also works with the Slide Pro remote, and unless TiVo’s updated it without my knowledge I happen to remember that the Edge doesn’t work with that remote, so I really don’t care to get either the 2 or 4 tuner Edge OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)