Price increase - February 2005?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wasii

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 1, 2004
I just walked a friend through the DishNetwork.com "order on-line", and found something interesting.

In the final screen that shows his final monthly amount, this was at the bottom of the screen:
-----------------------------
Effective 2/1/05:

America's top 60 and Top 60 Plus will increase $2.00 per month.
America's top 120 and America's Top 180 will increase $3.00 per month.
America's "Everything Pak" will increase $4.00 per month.

I haven't seen anything about this is any mailings, bills, on-line etc...
Has anyone else caught wind of this? Nice of them to let everyone know about an 8% increase in the monthly cost!

You might look at this 62-reply, 6700-view thread or this 383-reply, 20,000-view thread.

You also might take a look at this page and take notes.

I just heard a rumor that George W. Bush was re-elected! Woohoo!

wasii said:
I just walked a friend through the DishNetwork.com "order on-line", and found something interesting.

In the final screen that shows his final monthly amount, this was at the bottom of the screen:
Effective 2/1/05:

America's top 60 and Top 60 Plus will increase $2.00 per month.
America's top 120 and America's Top 180 will increase $3.00 per month.
America's "Everything Pak" will increase $4.00 per month.

I haven't seen anything about this is any mailings, bills, on-line etc...
Has anyone else caught wind of this? Nice of them to let everyone know about an 8% increase in the monthly cost!

You might look at those threads Sparkman posted. One has been replied to 62 times and viewed over 6700 times. The other one has been replied to 383 times and viewed 20,000 times. If you had been either #6701 or #20001, we wouldn't have this completely useless and entirely redundant thread. It's even posted on the wrong forum!

I just heard a rumor that George W. Bush was re-elected! Woohoo!

Sparkman said:

Correct you are - I apologize for the repeat. The only forum I read is this one (for the 522) and it hasn't been posted here yet - at least for the past several weeks.

But I still find it odd that I haven't heard about the price increase ANYWHERE in Dish Network's literature, it's literally BURIED on their web site - and their advertising and commercials still tout the old prices! If that's not intentionally misleading, I don't know what is.

Thanks for the links, Sparkman!

Oh, and Chaddux - kiss off, buddy! Yet again, someone with a holier-than-thou self importance had to jump in and make a smart-alec comment without knowing the facts....

wasii said:
Correct you are - I apologize for the repeat. The only forum I read is this one (for the 522) and it hasn't been posted here yet - at least for the past several weeks.

But I still find it odd that I haven't heard about the price increase ANYWHERE in Dish Network's literature, it's literally BURIED on their web site - and their advertising and commercials still tout the old prices! If that's not intentionally misleading, I don't know what is.

Thanks for the links, Sparkman!

Oh, and Chaddux - kiss off, buddy! Yet again, someone with a holier-than-thou self importance had to jump in and make a smart-alec without knowing the facts....

It hasn't been posted here becaue this is the 522 forum, not the place for price increases.

I can't find a kissing smilie so just pretend one is here. :D

chaddux said:
:) Hee-hee, that's great! I think Scott should make that a part of the Submission Guidelines...

Foxbat said:
:) Hee-hee, that's great! I think Scott should make that a part of the Submission Guidelines...

Someone over at DBSTalk.com posted that recently. I think every forum site should have a copy of the link. :)

Tony, try something like this: :)

Upcoming 2005 Price Increases To At Packages Here

Two things....

1) My only source of information regarding my 522 unit is from this forum. Not from www.echostaruser.com, not from www.dishchannelchart.com, not from any of the other related forums on www.satelliteguys.us, but this one. Right here. The one that you're reading at the moment. I may be wrong, but I'd think having an increased user base would be something that satelliteguys would actually strive for, instead of encouraging members to lambast new users.
I do not have the time to devote my life to the obtainment of the entire sum of knowledge of things that are E*. I could care less about the company, their other products, or anything else pertaining to satellite dishes. In fact, as crappy as this 522 has been, I'm beginning to rethink my entire decision to go satellite.
I still have not seen ANYTHING distributed directly from DishNetwork regarding the price increase, despite the fact that it is happening (from what I gather) the first of February. Less that 10 days away. Odd, don't you think? What about the millions of common customers who don't use the internet at all? Suppose they have a clue about the increase? I seriously doubt it. That's my point. I certainly didn't prior to seeing it buried on their web site, and I'd consider myself a common customer.

2) Did it really take that much of an effort for you to read yet another thread regarding something that pertains to every single person that subscribes to Dish Network? If so, why did you even bother to click on the thread once you read the title? Having a bad day and feel the need to berate something/someone? Or maybe you had nothing better to do.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and comments, and in the future I will keep in mind that all opinions expressed on this forum are welcomed, as long as they are the same as chaddux's.

I received notice from Dish about the price increase a couple weeks ago either in the mail or e-mail. I almost didn't read it because it looked like typical junk.

Wasii, don't take things mentioned in this thread too personally. I, for one, didn't find your thread to be uncalled for. I too only keep an eye on the 522 forums. Sparkman's response is short and to the point. That is the best type of answer. The thread should have ended right there. Take it easy and don't let anyone online get you down. It's not worth it.

I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk rather than just poking fun. Some of this goes back to the times in the USENET groups where the day after a free movie channel preview ended some one would post how they were never notified there was a free movie preview. The fact that the news had been posted for a minimum of a month beforehand with a hundred replies meant nothing to the poster who (universally) got more upset when this was pointed out.

There is no right way to approach the subject of some one jumping in and saying "Hey guys, guess what! The Hindenburg crashed!" (again a joke, not an attack) But this news has been discussed in this web site (www.satelliteguys.us) for weeks!

I am saying this as just another poster and not a moderator: before posting an off topic thread in a forum (this is the 522 forum, not the general Dish info forum), it might be a good idea to click on the search button at the top of the screen and type in your topic.

For example the phrase "Dish Price Increase" brought up these results (just the first few that would have shown up):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41104&highlight=Dish+Price+Increase (This one is a sticky on the main Dish Forum)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41682&highlight=Dish+Price+Increase
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=43090&highlight=Dish+Price+Increase
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41895&highlight=Dish+Price+Increase
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41999&highlight=Dish+Price+Increase

BTW for those in this forum that have not heard, Voom is selling out to Echostar. There is a huge thread in the main Voom and Dish forums. No need to let us know in three weeks. :)

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:

You're 100% correct. I should have looked in the main area for the info first.
How appropriate that several people wasted everyone's time to tell me that I wasted everyone's time. In fact, I just wasted more of everyone's time.
I will certainly try not to let that happen again in the future.

If I ever feel the urge to share information with people again, I will make certain to run that idea through every search engine I can find before I post it. Heck, ya know what? I'll just scribble it on a post-it note and nail it to the tree in my front yard.

That way, I'll make sure it gets the same level of distribution that E* gave their price increase notices, and that'll also ensure that I don't duplicate any information that's already included in the forums.
Then, the next time you're in my neighborhood, you can stop by and read it hanging on the tree. Oooooh, you can't see my tree from your house? I think that would be my point.

THIS - IS - THE - ONLY - FORUM - I - READ

Does the price increase not effect everyone with a 522? Then how does that information not belong here as well? I only regret that I neglected to search for the info prior to posting it again for the 5th time.

TNGTony said:
BTW for those in this forum that have not heard, Voom is selling out to Echostar.
AW MAN! You scooped me again! (grin)
Now I'll have to post that info to the HD Programming forum instead...

wasii, I got a letter in the mail about the price increase this week and I came HERE to THIS FORUM just now to see what the deal was. Thanks for sparking the conversation here. ;)

wasii said:
THIS - IS - THE - ONLY - FORUM - I - READ

Does the price increase not effect everyone with a 522? Then how does that information not belong here as well? ...
If the price increase ONLY affected 522 users, this would be the right place to put it. :) :):)

mdonnelly said:
If the price increase ONLY affected 522 users, this would be the right place to put it. :) :):)

Apparently, all news, regardless of relevance, goes on whatever forum you check. So if anyone has any news, post it here.

FedEx and UPS raised their shipping rates on January 1st. And...discuss.

I know this is the wrong forum to post this in ;), but maybe Scott should have stuck the Dish Price Increase Notice to all Dish Forums, like he did with the "Welcome" message to all the new visitors to SatelliteGuys.US. Maybe "Sticky" isn't the right terminology, but you get the idea.

No. We have organized forums in a certain way. You need to branch out of the 522 forum every now and then ;)

And now I'll finally close this :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts