Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

I don't begrudge anyone for making a dollar but geesh,how much is enough?
And there it is (always has been). How much are we going to continue to pay? The majority will bitch and scream at the top of their lungs....but keep signing on. Simple as that.

And there it is (always has been). How much are we going to continue to pay? The majority will bitch and scream at the top of their lungs....but keep signing on. Simple as that.

Not necessarily. When the day comes my bill is to high I'm out. I could do the every two with different providers or cut it. I have so many options were I live. So many promos.

Now I don't want to do that or cut it. I love my Hoppers and Dish but I won't hesitate to change or cut it. My life does not revolve around TV. I can get a few shows off Amazon.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Not necessarily. When the day comes my bill is to high I'm out. I could do the every two with different providers or cut it. I have so many options were I live. So many promos.

Now I don't want to do that or cut it. I love my Hoppers and Dish but I won't hesitate to change or cut it. My life does not revolve around TV. I can get a few shows off Amazon.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
To my point! Most will continue.

To my point!

I guess I don't understand why it bothers you so much when people bitch and scream. I'm not a fan of it but it is what it is. People get ticked in threads like this. Hell you've been here a while and know this. Come on man. Ignore is your friend.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
I agree with the fact that I can't justify dish's increases. Let's start with the DVR fee - this fee should be tossed right out the window. Just to get tv into multiple bedrooms costs 12.00 a month??

HD fee - this fee for new customers after 2 years is another bogus fee. Why should they feel like charging a customer 120 a year just to give them HD?? Shouldn't that HD free for life still continue?

Programming increases - I can't understand this when Dish doesn't have EspnU, Disney jr in HD, no pbs kids sprout and other channels their competition has that they don't .

I like the hopper and I think it's a great system but these increases are getting out of hand. Pretty soon the top 200 and 250 will run close to 100.00 alone. I'm debating like others and considering dropping pay tv in favor of roku and Apple TV . It's crazy how the big wigs make millions a year and stick it to their customers who are the reason why they make that big salary in the first place.

Direct / Dish merger - I'd like to see this happen but not sure if it will. They are separate companies and with all the other competition around them they still jack up fees. Maybe a merger can help lower them back down .

"Maybe a merger can help lower them back down."

That's never happened. All the talk about saving money by eliminating and consolidating redundancies never translates to lower end user costs. The most glaring example of this is the Sirius/XM merger.

Fancy lawyering and a congress/FCC too stupid to recognize when they were being played has led to paying 100% more now in programming and fees. I can't even say that the rate of increase with Sirius/XM was slowed by the merger.

I dropped Xm after the merger due to the higher fees like the additional receiver fees that went up and the new royalty fees etc. I only have them now because I can get the 5-6 months for $25.00 promo. I took it in 2012 on just my car and not my wife's car, when we were going on vacation to Arkansas to see my aunt in the boondocks and I wanted some good music for the 7 hour trip to and back. Every time I tell them to cancel it they offer me another 5 months at the same price. So I think I am on like the 4th time coming up next April. I won't ever pay full price again.

So if I have 2 HWS, 1 joey & upgraded from old hopper to new HWS in July the price protection applies? Thought I saw it applied only to hoppers installed before 5/2013? (I did have 2 hoppers in May just not the same ones) Hopefully I'm wrong - $12 a month is too much for me & I'll drop the joey.

Last edited:
Being senior citizens and retired , we find ourselves having more time to watch TV. So we have reduced our costs in other areas to allow us to have the best TV service. We have stopped going to the movies. We use to go once a week and spend with refreshments about $30 per week . So that saves us about $120 per month. We just wait for the movies to show up in our premium packages. We also fired our landline phone company and went to an in home cellular phone service. That saves another $60 per month. We changed our cell phone service by dropping data and text packages and going to a basic cell phone . We save another $60 per month. We communicate with friends and relatives via phone, email, and social networks via the internet. We also have stopped going to expensive sporting events and concerts. Dropping season tickets to the local college team has saved us over $800 and we did not miss seeing a game this year. They were all on TV. When the college coach started to get paid 5 times what the University Chancellor receives , we just had had enough. We use to go to about 4 concerts per year. However, when those ticket prices went above $100 per seat we stopped. There is another $800 per year savings. So we have saved more than enough to cover our Dish TV service.

A merger would do nothing to lower our bills.They'll use that as an excuse to get a merger approved though.

I'm also a retired person on fixed income, & have already dropped everything I could since I was hit with increased costs for medical insurance next year - so I really appreciate my tv & Hoppers- that's why I upgraded to the Hoppers in the first place. An additional $5 for programming is OK, but the higher equipment fees - when I already paid to upgrade, seem like just too much. I have to draw the line somewhere, which means return joey or drop pkg from top 200 to 120.

Don't have OTA option in eastern Oregon, so it's Dish or Direct or (not really a choice) Charter.

Last edited:
So if I have 2 HWS, 1 joey & upgraded from old hopper to new HWS in July the price protection applies? Thought I saw it applied only to hoppers installed before 5/2013? (I did have 2 hoppers in May just not the same ones) Hopefully I'm wrong - $12 a month is too much for me & I'll drop the joey.

You would already be at the $12/mo. level. Check your bill.

A merger would do nothing to lower our bills.They'll use that as an excuse to get a merger approved though.

That is the one thing that happened with the SiriusXM merger. They didn't raise the core package price. They raised and added fees. They took away the free Internet streaming and started charging for it. They raised the 2nd radio and so on subscription rates.Trust me if Dish and Direct merge they will find ways to raise rates and make more money. Fee's will be added and raised. You can count in that. So you are right my friend.

I don't really see a merger happening though so no reason to worry about it now.

You would already be at the $12/mo. level. Check your bill.

Now I'm paying $24 in fees ($7 joey & $7 for 2nd hopper & $10 Whole home) The increase will be $5 (programming) plus $2 more Whole home, + $5 more for 2nd hopper, making it $31 in fees plus the $5 for programming. I think $31 in receiver fees is outrageous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)