Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Actually only some providers are set up with History on the Roku. Not cox, not Comcast, not Dish, not DirecTV, not Fios, not Uverse, .....

But you can still watch SOME History selections on the Roku. Same for A&E and Lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Except for the fact that Dish doesn't charge the same as Direct for the AEP vs Premier. It is $5 cheaper per month.

And with the expected increases in both Dish and Direct's pricing structure that will remain the same difference. If you add Multi-sports at 1/2 price for 6 months that has been renewable for quite some time, the price is almost the same for AEP+Multi-Sports and Premier.

The only way it costs more is to be unaware enough not to ask for the 1/2 off multi-sports deal. I've gotten it twice and others have gotten it more times that me.

So the question for me to answer for myself is how do I keep my bill around the $100/mark and have the subscriptions be worthwhile? Is switching the best way? Because if I have to drop more programming I find interesting to keep the bill down, then I have to start thinking hard if $100 or so a month is even worth it to not watch things I want to watch.

Yea I went back and looked at the new prices and your right it is $5 cheaper. I also got the multisports pack for 1/2 off. The thing is I don't know if we can always count on that. One day Dish might say..... No more 1/2 off multisport. So for me that is not a given. Still they raised AEP $20 over two years and haven't added a thing. They still have the SD premiums in SD. They could have at least made the SD premiums in HD. I'm a AEP subscriber as of right now. Come Feb I won't be. I was a premiere subscriber when I was with Direct. My wife and I enjoy having everything but $20 in two years with nothing added. Plus other things going up.

We can live with AT120 and then AT200 in the fall for college football. I know Dish has been offering the $5 off and 1/2 off for premiums too. That is a very nice thing but I can't and won't always count on that.

I have AT250, HBO/SHO ($5/off 6 months just renewed), Max (1/2 off 6 months just renewed, Multi-sport (1/2 off 6 months renewed today and BB@Home 1/2 off which expires the day after Xmas, if it renews I may keep it. And I have 2 Hoppers.

At the present setup, my bill will rise about $15 when the new rates kick in. At that time I'll make some changes though I'm uncertain exactly what.

I'm leaning to AT200 (lose BeIN for some boxing, otherwise don't care), SHO/HBO all the time and MAX on occasion when Strike Back is airing. That will still make my bill a bit higher than I like, but will be more in line with what I'm willing to pay.

As soon as D*'s increases are made official, I'll re-evaluate switching though I'm hesitant to do so.

I have AT250, HBO/SHO ($5/off 6 months just renewed), Max (1/2 off 6 months just renewed, Multi-sport (1/2 off 6 months renewed today and BB@Home 1/2 off which expires the day after Xmas, if it renews I may keep it. And I have 2 Hoppers.

At the present setup, my bill will rise about $15 when the new rates kick in. At that time I'll make some changes though I'm uncertain exactly what.

I'm leaning to AT200 (lose BeIN for some boxing, otherwise don't care), SHO/HBO all the time and MAX on occasion when Strike Back is airing. That will still make my bill a bit higher than I like, but will be more in line with what I'm willing to pay.

As soon as D*'s increases are made official, I'll re-evaluate switching though I'm hesitant to do so.

I'd wait till their next promo. Have a hunch the $10 off on programming is coming back for the 2nd & 3rd yr.

Here is their current offer, it's a little easier to read than the site.

View attachment Directv offer.pdf

Since you have multisport you won't lose BeIN but it will be SD only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you have a friend with a paid TV subscription you can watch ESPN, Disney, History, HBO for free on Roku if your friend will give you his account info.

they need to be subscribed to that channel too. Tried that with a buddy who has just lifeline. Wanted to watch a ESPN3 game so I logged into his account. Says I needed a package that has the channel in it.

This gets brought up every day. There are some major benefits to having a la carte but there are going to be flaws. Chances are one of the channels that is on your favorites list may go away if things went a la carte. Not every channel will be able to afford to stay on. If somehow all these channels did happen to stay you wouldn't end up saving that much money overall anyway. Be prepared to pay anywhere from $2-$10 for each channel. The networks are going to get their money from us one way or another.

If they have popular programming and went under because of a la carte, another network would pick it up. With a couple hours new programming a week, a lot of cable channels could combine without losing a single show. The whole you might lose your channel a la carte argument is designed to scare people. If a show is popular it will find an outlet on another channel if needed.

Until Hell freezes over, or the FCC intervenes...which means when Hell freezes over, there will never, ever, ever, ever be ala carte channels. NO business model,be it that of networks, advertisers, providers will/can support it. Not gonna happen.

Until Hell freezes over, or the FCC intervenes...which means when Hell freezes over, there will never, ever, ever, ever be ala carte channels.

Agreed, but you do reckon without legislation. That's the only way I can see getting what we want, and only what we want.

I'd love to see everything go "on demand". Want to watch a ball game or whatever just pay per event. Don't watch anything that month, no worries, no bill.

I'd love to see everything go "on demand". Want to watch a ball game or whatever just pay per event. Don't watch anything that month, no worries, no bill.

It sounds like the Dish patent is moving closer to that, but I don't expect it will work that well. Even if you watch zero things that month, there will some kind of an account maintenance cost, much like Dish Pause is $5.00 per month. And while the bills in months where you don't watch stuff will be nice, if you have a "high traffic" month, people will be screaming about the bill. They want all the benefit of metered usage without any of the drawbacks. I expect a solution would be closer to what folks are saying about that Dish patent, ability to move up and down between packages easier.

It sounds like the Dish patent is moving closer to that, but I don't expect it will work that well. Even if you watch zero things that month, there will some kind of an account maintenance cost, much like Dish Pause is $5.00 per month. And while the bills in months where you don't watch stuff will be nice, if you have a "high traffic" month, people will be screaming about the bill. They want all the benefit of metered usage without any of the drawbacks. I expect a solution would be closer to what folks are saying about that Dish patent, ability to move up and down between packages easier.

Dang,that sounds like the power company,you gotta pay whether you use any electricity or not.

I don't think Dish has had two programming increases in a single year.
You make it sound personal.

I consider someone trying to take an extra $12.00 a month out of my wallet personal , wouldn't you? Especially since next month on the 18th I will have 17 years of price hikes with DISH to look back on.:eek:

I consider someone trying to take an extra $12.00 a month out of my wallet personal , wouldn't you? Especially since next month on the 18th I will have 17 years of price hikes with DISH to look back on.:eek:
Well, you certainly have alternative options you could exercise. But if you don't/won't.......

Dang,that sounds like the power company,you gotta pay whether you use any electricity or not.

And the water company, sewer company, telephone company - and every other utility.

Reinforcing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The first post has been updated with updated pricing... including updated DISH Latino packages, DISH America, and Premium Channels increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)