Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

BTW with my post above I am not bashing DISH for raising the prices... I know their costs are going up and they must pass those costs along. And even the TV Networks must pay to produce the shows we all love, the cost to produce those shows keeps going up.

In nature we have the food chain... and in satellite we have the TV Chain.

For DISH and DIRECTV they are at the near end of the chain, and its up to them to be the bad guys and say PAY UP. Of course like the food chain its up to you to decide if you eat it or not.

Scott I think people realize that Dish has to pass along the cost of programming. I think what ticks people off is the fees. It's nickel and diming every year now. Yea everyone does it I know but that doesn't make it right.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Scott I think people realize that Dish has to pass along the cost of programming. I think what ticks people off is the fees. It's nickel and diming every year now. Yea everyone does it I know but that doesn't make it right.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
Where is the nickel and diming? They charge for programming and equipment. You can opt out of the service fee.

Where is the nickel and diming? They charge for programming and equipment. You can opt out of the service fee.

Well lets see... hopper fees being raised. I'm sure lease fees will be going up. Whole home fees too. Plus my favorite the DVR fee. Its an extra $1 here or an extra $2 there. Remember last year when we got hit with the programming increase the a month or two later the fee increases? I can see that happening again.

By the way I'm not bashing Dish. I enjoy Dish. So relax guys

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
If a customer does not want to feel nickel and dimed then just get one receiver without a DVR and not extra channels. Then all you are paying for is the program package that you have. Now, if you want extra packages, DVR technology, extra equipment and the protection plan then you should be prepared to pay for those services. If you want more then be prepared to pay for more. People complain because it adds up and no one wants to have to pay more for what they want.

Before you tip over, take a look at their pricing history. How long before their costs are right up there. Bait and switch?
I understand how it works. The TELCO offers 3 local DMA's, bundled pricing on tv/internet/phone, any several limited discounts (all huge pluses). The drawback for me has been the extra charge for HD, limited space DVR's, and the STB fees. Without the new sub promos, Dish and the TELCO are neck to neck in cost, but with a price increase, Dish loses that battle. I've been with Dish for nearly 15 years, and am very happy with the service, but like I said previously, I do have a breaking point.

Lets just say all TV providers are within $5, plus or minus, without any promotions and similar packages. Even if Dish has gotten more expensive but is within the price range of all other providers, who do you think is still the best? If there are no differences in packages and programming and I'm paying about the same amount then I'm keeping Dish and the Hopper for sure.

I know the promotional prices are what get everyone excited but lets just look at the final cost. Even if Dish were the most expensive by $10 I'm still keeping my Hopper setup. Of course there is a point where is doesn't matter who the cheapest is, if it's over my budget then it's got to go. If the cheapest choice is over $100 then it's time to drop pay TV service altogether.

I understand how it works. The TELCO offers 3 local DMA's, bundled pricing on tv/internet/phone, any several limited discounts (all huge pluses). The drawback for me has been the extra charge for HD, limited space DVR's, and the STB fees. Without the new sub promos, Dish and the TELCO are neck to neck in cost, but with a price increase, Dish loses that battle. I've been with Dish for nearly 15 years, and am very happy with the service, but like I said previously, I do have a breaking point.
Wow! I'm jealous. Uverse is only a few dollars cheaper than Dish... with the bundle and new sub prices, comparing apples to apple-ish. Their U200 is $74 on sale for 2 yrs... and goes to over $110, well above Top 250 with Dish in 2 yrs. I don't see Dish getting that high.

Also, people laud the Hopper, but I think the 722 is gold as well, being a DualTuner DVR. I can do so much with it. Dish is still the champion of the single receiver home, I just wish I didn't need to be in the 250 for a single channel.

If a customer does not want to feel nickel and dimed then just get one receiver without a DVR and not extra channels. Then all you are paying for is the program package that you have. Now, if you want extra packages, DVR technology, extra equipment and the protection plan then you should be prepared to pay for those services. If you want more then be prepared to pay for more. People complain because it adds up and no one wants to have to pay more for what they want.
The problem is that these fee may not uniform.
For example owner or not a equipment you pay the same fee for additional outlet.
Before there was a std. fee for additional outlet.
To make a HDD to work you need to pay $7.00! With enhanced $12.00
The hopper have 3 tuner while Genie 5 (i still why, and not found a answer). in Genie additional client is free?

Wow! I'm jealous. Uverse is neck and neck with Dish... with the bundle and new sub prices, comparing apples to apple-ish. Their U200 is $74 on sale for 2 yrs... and goes to over $110, well above Top 250 with Dish.

Also, people laud the Hopper, but I think the 722 is gold as well, being a DualTuner DVR. I can do so much with it. I just wish I didn't need to be in the 250 for a single channel.
I see that the 722 is a gold, but the UI is bored. the fresh look for the UI hopper is a great alluring to get one.

I see that the 722 is a gold, but the UI is bored. the fresh look for the UI hopper is a great alluring to get one.
Agreed that the UI for the 722 is a bit stale, though in general, it is good enough. The On Demand UI is pitiful. But the main value is the two tuner output and the optional dual OTA module. I've recorded three things at one time with the thing on a few occasions. And all I pay is the DVR fee because I squeeze as much as I can out of the single receiver.

You've displayed your hatred of Dish before. If you don't like it, there is a door. Please close it behind you when you leave.
I think there will be a lot less chrun than you think.
Most people who have dvr's will not want to change. They don't want to loose all the recordings they have.
How long before D* announces their price increases. Every year we get the same posts about the price increases and then all the other providers also post increases.
Get over it. Price increases are a part of life. I don't pay what I pay when I got Dish over 18 years ago.

Before you tip over, take a look at their pricing history. How long before their costs are right up there. Bait and switch?

You're right if you compare Dish's out of promotion prices to Directv/Cable's out of promotion prices. When paying full price you are probably going to pay about the same or more with most other providers. The problem with your thinking is that isn't the price you would pay if you switched. I am still under contract and my new customer pricing from Dish. My parents aren't though.

They could get a similar setup with Directv and save about $40 per month for the first year. The second year wouldn't be quite as good but they would still save about $15 per month. That means they would save a total of $660 in their two year contract with Directv. These examples are with both companies current pricing. This didn't factor in the $12 increase they are about to get with Dish or whatever increase Directv decides to go with. Assuming both companies have similar increases those numbers should hold up though. They also get similar offers from Charter and Uverse all the time.

You are right in that by being loyal to any of these companies you are going to pay a similar price. We don't have to do that though. Hell, the industry is training us not to do that by offering so much more reasonable prices to new customers than their loyal ones. Dish copying Directv by only giving free HD to new customers for the first two years is even more evidence of that. When a Dish customer loses their $30 promotional discount and then starts having to pay $10 for HD they are now going to be hit with a price that is $40 more than it was when they signed up. This isn't even including any price increases along the way.

No one wants to lose their DVR recordings but many people will decide that they aren't worth an extra $660. I get so behind on all my DVR stuff that lots of it is available on Netflix or Amazon Prime before I get to it anyways.

The problem is that these fee may not uniform.
For example owner or not a equipment you pay the same fee for additional outlet.
Before there was a std. fee for additional outlet.
To make a HDD to work you need to pay $7.00! With enhanced $12.00
The hopper have 3 tuner while Genie 5 (i still why, and not found a answer). in Genie additional client is free?

Like I said, if you want more you pay more. It may sound like they are screwing you but they are just charging for the features they offer. Since Dish has so many options in receivers now you see a lot of different fees.

The key is to come here and find out all the details or go to a good retailer that way you know exactly what you are getting when you sign up. People that call Dish directly or go through a crappy retailer do not get all the details and end up being surprised by lots of extra fees they were not aware of.

I guess I must have imagined that huge thread of pissed off people when Hopper fees were raised back in February or March. Look I get it. If I want extra I have to pay more. I do play more and I'm cool with that. It just gets annoying when they raise fees like that. That's all I'm saying.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Wow! I'm jealous. Uverse is only a few dollars cheaper than Dish... with the bundle and new sub prices, comparing apples to apple-ish. Their U200 is $74 on sale for 2 yrs... and goes to over $110, well above Top 250 with Dish in 2 yrs. I don't see Dish getting that high.

Also, people laud the Hopper, but I think the 722 is gold as well, being a DualTuner DVR. I can do so much with it. Dish is still the champion of the single receiver home, I just wish I didn't need to be in the 250 for a single channel.

The 722 works great for a lot of people still but it's going to be a thing of the past soon. The dual tuners are going away. All you're going to see are Hoppers, Joeys and 211 receivers. I assume there will be some form of new Hopper as well.

No one wants to lose their DVR recordings but many people will decide that they aren't worth an extra $660. I get so behind on all my DVR stuff that lots of it is available on Netflix or Amazon Prime before I get to it anyways.

You could flat out buy a lot of series on iTunes, Amazon VOD or Vudu for $660 that are not found on Netflix/Amazon Prime...

BTW with my post above I am not bashing DISH for raising the prices... I know their costs are going up and they must pass those costs along. And even the TV Networks must pay to produce the shows we all love, the cost to produce those shows keeps going up.

In nature we have the food chain... and in satellite we have the TV Chain.

For DISH and DIRECTV they are at the near end of the chain, and its up to them to be the bad guys and say PAY UP. Of course like the food chain its up to you to decide if you eat it or not.

I would speculate that most of the price increase this year is driven by local channels. ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC have made it clear they want to significantly raise prices to the tune of more than $1/month/sub each...

Cox just raised my Internet price $5 per month to $62.99 without any notice. If I did not pay attention to the bills, I would not know that they increased my internet $5 per month. That is over 11% increase. I am sure that they increased the cable prices also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)