Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Trial balloon?

Very,very possible.If my memory serves me correctly,there was an impending increase on hopper or whole home fees,first of this year.There was a huge thread here,and lots of annoyed comments.At some point Dish relented.Here's to hoping this thread can have the same effect.

It's just a way of life. Everything goes up in cost. Every year, sometimes twice a year I see appliances have a price increase. Starting the first of the year GE is increasing the price on a bunch of their product. Happens with food too, sounds like we may see milk prices get close to $8 for a gallon at some point.

Very,very possible.If my memory serves me correctly,there was an impending increase on hopper or whole home fees,first of this year.There was a huge thread here,and lots of annoyed comments.At some point Dish relented.Here's to hoping this thread can have the same effect.

I've see it a lot of times were Dish made changes of there promotions and then dropped them after seeing it didn't work out. I doubt you'll see these prices increases change though.

Like I said, if you want more you pay more. It may sound like they are screwing you but they are just charging for the features they offer. Since Dish has so many options in receivers now you see a lot of different fees.

The key is to come here and find out all the details or go to a good retailer that way you know exactly what you are getting when you sign up. People that call Dish directly or go through a crappy retailer do not get all the details and end up being surprised by lots of extra fees they were not aware of.

I guess I must have imagined that huge thread of pissed off people when Hopper fees were raised back in February or March. Look I get it. If I want extra I have to pay more. I do play more and I'm cool with that. It just gets annoying when they raise fees like that. That's all I'm saying.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Right. I have been considering switching to Cable and getting a Tivo Roamio 4 tuner DVR and a Tivo Mini with lifetime subscriptions on both. I want good equipment without having to worry about them changing the price on me in the future. The problem is that good equipment is expensive and I think we are seeing that with these hopper increases. It would cost me $886 to get the Tivo setup I want from Amazon. It would be great not to have any equipment fees outside of the $2 cable card going forward but that $886 can pay for quite a few months of Hopper/Genie service. When you make that kind of investment in equipment you are basically committing to stay with your cable provider for the long hall too and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

The part that bothers me is that my parents paid an extra $200 to get a second hopper instead of a Joey because they were the same price. This equipment is already in their home and now they have to pay more for it. Dish really should have kept the grandfather pricing on equipment that was already installed. I get that their programming costs are going up but there is no reason equipment that is already installed should cost Dish more in February than it does today.

Last edited:
Every year all provider raise their prices and should be no surprise but how much should be the reason people are upset!!! imo :)

$12 DVR FEE
$12 Second Hopper fee

If you activate hoppers 05/21/13 or before a automatic credit of 5*18 will appear to reduce impact of price increase,take in mind this can change and it's only available for accounts with good standing

OK, what about folks w/3rd & 4th Ho's that were activated pre 05/21/13...are we going to ALSO get ($5) credits for each of those as well??? (I sure as hell hope...)

I LIVE In a Big Ten state.....Minnesota

just ran a Indy zip...46203

Regional and Collegiate Sports Networks are available with America's Top 120 Plus or higher.
Station
CSN Chicago
Big Ten
Fox Sports Cincinnati
Fox Sports Midwest

So unless the website is wrong, you STILL need AT120+ to get BTN in those states. In the non Big10 states its added to the sports pack

You do need the AT 120+ or higher to receive BTN in Big10 states.

The most troubling thing about increases of $5 a pop or more,is the fact that folks aren't earning anymore than they were a year ago.That is why I predict a lot of churn.HSI is becoming more prevalent everyday,online streaming services are growing by the month,and little old Arero keeps plugging along.

You've displayed your hatred of Dish before. If you don't like it, there is a door. Please close it behind you when you leave.
I think there will be a lot less chrun than you think.
Most people who have dvr's will not want to change. They don't want to loose all the recordings they have.
How long before D* announces their price increases. Every year we get the same posts about the price increases and then all the other providers also post increases.
Get over it. Price increases are a part of life. I don't pay what I pay when I got Dish over 18 years ago.

YOU GET over it! IF you don't like what I post or others' post, you can simply hit IGNORE. I know I will doing the same for you now. It is not conducive to the conversation or appreciated when people like you decide to attack other members for their opinion whether you agree with it or NOT.:mad:

Right. I have been considering switching to Cable and getting a Tivo Roamio 4 tuner DVR and a Tivo Mini with lifetime subscriptions on both. I want good equipment without having to worry about them changing the price on me in the future. The problem is that good equipment is expensive and I think we are seeing that with these hopper increases. It would cost me $886 to get the Tivo setup I want from Amazon. It would be great not to have any equipment fees outside of the $2 cable card going forward but that $886 can pay for quite a few months of Hopper/Genie service. When you make that kind of investment in equipment you are basically committing to stay with your cable provider for the long hall too and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

The part that bothers me is that my parents paid an extra $200 to get a second hopper instead of a Joey because they were the same price. This equipment is already in their home and now they have to pay more for it. Dish really should have kept the grandfather pricing on equipment that was already installed. I get that their programming costs are going up but there is no reason equipment that is already installed should cost Dish more in February than it does today.

Honestly, I think it's still worth the cost to have a second Hopper. I'd get rid of both of my Joeys before I gave up my second Hopper.

Honestly, I think it's still worth the cost to have a second Hopper. I'd get rid of both of my Joeys before I gave up my second Hopper.

They won't. After the $5 credit for 18 months runs out they will be replacing the 2nd hopper with a Joey if they haven't already switched to a new provider by then. They would definitely have tuner conflicts if they did that so they will likely switch to a Genie and 2 or 3 clients.

Folks...

I have just received word from DISH that the Pricing Chart posted by Angel is CORRECT.

Thanks for allowing me to verify this with DISH! I just wanted to make sure the most accurate information was available to our members!

Folks...

I have just received word from DISH that the Pricing Chart posted by Angel is CORRECT.

Thanks for allowing me to verify this with DISH! I just wanted to make sure the most accurate information was available to our members!

Nice job getting an official confirmation from Dish. Nice job to Angel too for getting us the information before it was available anywhere else. Hopefully he/she won't get in trouble for leaking that kind of information before they were ready to make an official announcement.

I know this isn't what any of us wanted to hear but it is another confirmation that we are all in the right place for our satellite news.

Last edited:
Folks...

Thanks for verifying Scott.

And thank you Charlie for a not so pleasant Christmas surprise.:rant:

I predict there will be a lot of churn come 2nd quarter of next year. DISH simply doesn't learn from their own history. They finally have a positive quarter with more subs added than lost and they counter it with equipment & dvr fee increases, on all of us that had the original hoppers from last May and of course the yearly price hike too. I am going to seriously make some changes to my account AGAIN , if I am to stay with DISH .

I am also going to analyze exactly what channels I watch and shows and where I can get them the next day or on Netflix. The majority of shows watched in my household would be the locals. It sure seems stupid to pay over $120.00 a month to watch local tv and a few shows scattered out over all programming packs. The equipment fees alone will be $38.00 a month to keep what I have now with the new hikes. I can remember when I paid $19.99 for top 40 back in 97. And as far as Premium movie channels, how can anyone justify $19.00 a month for HBO? Or $14.00 for Starz , or SHowtime, or Cinemax? It is funny as hell to me that Netflix is still selling for $7.99 a month for streaming unlimited plan and HBO is $18.00 ,soon to be $19.00 a month and yet NETFLIX has 30 million subs to HBO's 20 million subs.

Something has to give ,because these yearly price extortions are going to lead to more cord shaving and cord cutting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)