Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Yes as always if someone has something but they don't want to post it from their account send it to me and I can post it for them anonymously.

I don't want people losing their jobs.

The only issue I had with what was posted is I wanted to verify that it was accurate. With something like price changes it is good to make sure it's accurate.

Can someone explain the terminology of the Mini-Packs (Full price vs 50% off) from the grid in the first post? I've got the Heartland pack, but I'd love to get it for half-off -- even at the .50 increased price!!

Just a guess but it could be a half off the price for 6 months offer, just like they used to do with the premium channels.

Can someone explain the terminology of the Mini-Packs (Full price vs 50% off) from the grid in the first post? I've got the Heartland pack, but I'd love to get it for half-off -- even at the .50 increased price!!

If you want it, go into your online account and add it, let it sit a day and go back in to take it off and when you get to the confirmation page it should pop up a screen asking you if you'd like to keep it at half off.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How ironic, the price continues to go up but Dish continues to turn its back on professional sports. I just don't get it. I thought that by shying away from professional sports, my bill was supposed to go down. How about you give me my RSNs back in exchange for your higher rates?

How ironic, the price continues to go up but Dish continues to turn its back on professional sports. I just don't get it. I thought that by shying away from professional sports, my bill was supposed to go down. How about you give me my RSNs back in exchange for your higher rates?

Don't look for your bill to go down unless you change packages, drop services, etc.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Right. I have been considering switching to Cable and getting a Tivo Roamio 4 tuner DVR and a Tivo Mini with lifetime subscriptions on both. I want good equipment without having to worry about them changing the price on me in the future. The problem is that good equipment is expensive and I think we are seeing that with these hopper increases. It would cost me $886 to get the Tivo setup I want from Amazon. It would be great not to have any equipment fees outside of the $2 cable card going forward but that $886 can pay for quite a few months of Hopper/Genie service. When you make that kind of investment in equipment you are basically committing to stay with your cable provider for the long hall too and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
With a Tivo, you can keep your recordings if you switch cable providers or drop cable completely. And the 4-tuner Roamio can also be used to record ota. So it does give you flexibility that pay-provider dvrs lack.

Whatever.

I cancelled the protection plan a couple of months ago, and this price increase pretty much eats up those savings. I do love this announcement comes at a time when I am not getting my local ABC and Fox stations due to fee fights.

I am sure my Comcast Internet bill will be going up as well.

Otherwise, sad thing about the increase in DVR fee for the Hopper is that still will be one of the cheaper DVRs on the market. Many DVR fees on the market are around $20. I just love that despite the fact hard drives prices have gone down over the years, DVR fees keep going up.

I'll dump our premiums too. I'll get HBO for a month to catch up on Game of Thrones with HBO Go. So Dish won't be getting anything extra from us either. In fact they will be losing money.
That's what I have been doing for the last 2-3 years. I order HBO twice a year for about 4-5 weeks for Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, and I use HBO Go to catch up on past episodes.

Last edited:
So in AT120+ It has FS2 but not FS1. I guess I will have to go AT200 when college football starts again. To bad FS1 isn't in AT120+ I would hate to have to pay an extra $10 a month just for that channel. Oh well it's only for 5 or so months out of the year.

Yep, Dish has less content (sports, all ESPN/ABC/Disney in HD, etc) than Directv and yet is basically the same price. Good reason to jump every two years. No reason to pledge allegiance to one company or the other. They really don't care about their customer as long as they continue to get $$ from you.

Between this and canceling HD Free for Life for new customers they are giving up a lot of the value they once offered. New customers will have a $10 increase for HD after their first two years going forward in addition to their new customer promos wearing off at the same time. They are almost forcing people to switch when their contract runs out by hitting them with that much of an increase at once. HD is not a premium feature anymore. It's been around for years and they should just start treating it like the standard. 4k is around the corner and Dish decides to start charging $10 for HD again. They are going backwards.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Otherwise, providers making HD a premium is why stretch-a-vision continues to be a huge problem in 2013.

The higher the price goes, the easier it is for Netflix/Amazon/Youtube to create their own unique content. At that point, the existing providers will be left with live sports events and lots of lost customers.

I don't think there's any way around DirecTV/Dish merger. They have to merge just to keep their costs at current levels. Just a matter of when at this point...
I think you are dreaming if you really think a DirecTV/Dish merger would lead to lower prices. If anything, it would probably lead to higher prices.

Just dropped from AT250 to 120+. Just can't see spending that much money on TV anymore. Especially when the providers continue to raise their equipment fees for no real reason.

Just dropped from AT250 to 120+. Just can't see spending that much money on TV anymore. Especially when the providers continue to raise their equipment fees for no real reason.
If Dish's profits skyrocket after the price hike, then you can say for "no real reason".

That's probably what I'm going to do. Also get rid of BB&Home, and possibly take off a 211 that I mainly use in the summer. $100 a month is my absolute tipping point for TV. I've got a 1/2 price BB@H offer for another month or two. Once that expires and this increase takes effect, I think I'll be around $115.

Common misconception. It's how much it doesn't go up virtually never that it would go down.

hopper

Help! Need a splitter for Dish Network? Do they make such a thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts