Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

This latest round of price increases is comparable to shooting off your big toe. While survivable it will have long lasting crippling effects.

I can't see who is going to pay $19 a month for HBO.

I see a lot of folks who will be sharing HBO Passwords as the price is getting way too high.

Two words Apple TV and chromcast. With these devices you can wireless stream the content to your tv

Those things may work for those people who love technology and know how to use it etc. But for people like my grand parents or even my parents for example, no chance they would be able to figure out how to stream using an Apple TV or Chrome Cast. They want to come home and grab the clicker and push ON and bam, they have TV. Not to mention the fact that the Apple TV is what, $99? It may pay off in the long run, but I'm not sure that many people are excited about shelling out $100.

I guess we'll see what the future holds and to each their own.

Two words Apple TV and chromcast. With these devices you can wireless stream the content to your tv

Yes you can do that. But then where's the boxing and golf? Virtually none of that available to stream.

And those HBO/Sho/Max/Starz series that are so good? Yeah, you can buy seasons of them, but have you priced them?

And of course, you have to make sure you don't have an ISP that is doing data caps, and that can provide enough simultaneous streams to support as many TVs you need to feed at once.

All that can add up pretty quickly too.

And assuming all that isn't an issue, then you get to play with the various interfaces as you switch from Hulu to Netflix to iTunes (or whichever pay per view you choose). Hardly convenient at all.

To you its worthless, for me I find the movies more suitable to my taste and the on demand selection is pretty good. Love Epix-Drive in and the BB package to me is way better than HBO/SHO ect.

Last I checked, Drive-In was not available with BBMP and could only be had with the $7 EPIX package. Drive-In is one of my favorites and if it's on BBMP let me know as I'd gladly pay $3 more for a few extra channels.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes you can do that. But then where's the boxing and golf? Virtually none of that available to stream.

And those HBO/Sho/Max/Starz series that are so good? Yeah, you can buy seasons of them, but have you priced them?

And of course, you have to make sure you don't have an ISP that is doing data caps, and that can provide enough simultaneous streams to support as many TVs you need to feed at once.

All that can add up pretty quickly too.

And assuming all that isn't an issue, then you get to play with the various interfaces as you switch from Hulu to Netflix to iTunes (or whichever pay per view you choose). Hardly convenient at all.

I agree with you. I can work but it's a last resort for me.

Those things may work for those people who love technology and know how to use it etc. But for people like my grand parents or even my parents for example, no chance they would be able to figure out how to stream using an Apple TV or Chrome Cast. They want to come home and grab the clicker and push ON and bam, they have TV. Not to mention the fact that the Apple TV is what, $99? It may pay off in the long run, but I'm not sure that many people are excited about shelling out $100.

I guess we'll see what the future holds and to each their own.

So your saying your dad, CE, is not very good with technology. ;)

Isn't just about all professional and college sports available on live streaming? Few if any are legally free, but NFL, MLB, NBA all have live streaming packages.

I believe there are blackout restrictions for the pro sports, MLB does for the home teams.

HBO is Commercial-Free and la carte
The format preferred by most posters here.
The pricing is what we will see if we a skip auto and pick only the channels we want.

Very good point for those of us that think a la carte will save money.

HBO is Commercial-Free and la carte
The format preferred by most posters here.
The pricing is what we will see if we a skip auto and pick only the channels we want.
Yeah but HBO really hasnt had anything NEW on it in awhile... and when they do they have free previews so you can see it without subscribing.

Need good computer

I think part of the reason people continue to be willing to pay increasing rates for services like this is because of ease of use. While I know how to find content online and it isn't that difficult, I would much rather come home from work and plop down on my couch and just flip on the TV and watch what I want. I don't want to have to pull out my laptop or phone and go to a website and play the content on a much smaller screen etc. Sure, I could hook my laptop up to my TV and watch that way, but again, thats a pain to do. The fact that I can just walk in and grab 1 remote and access all the content I want within seconds makes it worth it to me.
People just need good computers that have an output that is HDMI. I have a PC that is has dual output that I send one to the A/V receiver via HDMI. Even many laptops have HDMI out.

I have two good computers that have higher end video cards with dual outputs and good sound cards etc. Point being, even using my wireless keyboard and mouse from the couch, is a pain in to me. I don't want to have to navigate to different websites, log in, download content ....whatever is required. I would much rather just walk in, grab the remote, hop on the couch and presto....I'm good to go. I have my surround sound, my high def flatscreen all up and running within one minute and I'm comfortable.

I have everything I need to accomplish what you guys are talking about, but its still not as easy or simple as using a set top box and remote. And I don't consider myself the average TV viewer, but I would reckon that most customers
1.don't have one of these good computers or a fast enough connection to stream or download in any decent period of time
2.wouldn't be willing to go through the hassle of using a PC to view their shows
3.dont even know that they have a computer that is capable or doing this or have any idea how to use their equipment to do this

All they want is to press the DVR button, find their series and hit play. Simple and easy.

This is my opinion anyways.

lucky86, you are spot on.

I've got the equipment to do all this stuff myself. AppleTV, BluRay player that does internet streaming and a few computers fully capable of doing it too. But yet, when I want to watch TV, I select 'watch Satellite' on my Harmony 1 and I'm good to go! :)

People just need good computers that have an output that is HDMI. I have a PC that is has dual output that I send one to the A/V receiver via HDMI. Even many laptops have HDMI out.

My laptop has a neat Intel chip that has WiDi. I can send whatever is on my computer screen to my TV wireless. Lotsa cell phones can do the same thing called Miracast on my Motorola Droid Maxx. The TV has to have the capability or you can add a wireless display adapter to one of the HDMI ports. Some of the latest TVs are starting to add the wireless display capability. Both computer and cell phone works pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts