Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

The extortion I speak of is not just DISH, who is continuing to come up with new ways to FEE us...
I have one fee on my bill. The DVR fee. Just how many fees do they have out there?
DISH is still cheaper or the lesser of the two evils so to speak.
Ok, so Dish is the cheapest, but they are extorting us.
I don't understand why you are completely okay with a company continuing to jack the price you pay year after year and just take it. I guess we should just call you BEND OVER, since you have no problem doing just that, and taking it year after year.:rolleyes:
Well, when the prices did get too high for my comfort, I switched to Latino Dos, which led to fewer channels, but me getting most of what I wanted. Unfortunately, I had to back up to 250 due to NBC Sports getting the EPL. So now I am left in a pickle, wondering whether to keep 250 or to drop it all together, but lose EPL access. Granted, the fee increase this year amounts to less than $100 more for the year. But it is something to consider.

So just relax, call Dish, cancel the service and then use the money you are saving to buy a puppy.

The big problem is that we live in America. And consumer protection, attempts to block monopolies forming and what not are viewed as communism. So corporations are allowed to consolidate, charge higher prices, all the while other companies like Disney will spend our money to get exclusive rights to programming that we were watching for less. That isn't going to change. So getting angry as if this is something personal and whining about extortion while ultimately noting Dish is the cheaper option seems to do just about nothing, but blowing hot air.

So just relax, call Dish and cancel, and use the money you are saving to get a puppy.

No, don't buy a puppy, get one free from a shelter. I guess that would be considered communism, too.

I have one fee on my bill. The DVR fee. Just how many fees do they have out there?
Ok, so Dish is the cheapest, but they are extorting us.
Well, when the prices did get too high for my comfort, I switched to Latino Dos, which led to fewer channels, but me getting most of what I wanted. Unfortunately, I had to back up to 250 due to NBC Sports getting the EPL. So now I am left in a pickle, wondering whether to keep 250 or to drop it all together, but lose EPL access. Granted, the fee increase this year amounts to less than $100 more for the year. But it is something to consider.

So just relax, call Dish, cancel the service and then use the money you are saving to buy a puppy.

The big problem is that we live in America. And consumer protection, attempts to block monopolies forming and what not are viewed as communism. So corporations are allowed to consolidate, charge higher prices, all the while other companies like Disney will spend our money to get exclusive rights to programming that we were watching for less. That isn't going to change. So getting angry as if this is something personal and whining about extortion while ultimately noting Dish is the cheaper option seems to do just about nothing, but blowing hot air.

So just relax, call Dish and cancel, and use the money you are saving to get a puppy.

I've got three dogs and they were all rescue dogs. Two were thrown in our yard and abandoned and the other we adopted. I 've been with DISH 17 years this month on the 18th so obviously I am not going any where. That being said I will continue to post what I feel is relevant in this thread ESPECIALLY since we are talking about PRICE INCREASES. Once again if you don't want to read , don't. IF you don't want to see it hit ignore on my posts and you won't have to see it again.

Right, just keep in mind that the extortion is one-sided, and it's not on the MVPD side.

This reminds me of a old Time Warner Cable commercial from the 90's that said "Directv hates puppies" Which I think it was because of the added fees apart from the package prices, What's so funny about that commercial was that near the end he says "So who hates puppies?" Then it shows the Time Warner Logo afterwards, as to say Time Warner hates puppies. I know I have a stupid memory :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This reminds me of a old Time Warner Cable commercial from the 90's that said "Directv hates puppies" Which I think it was because of the added fees apart from the package prices, What's so funny about that commercial was that near the end he says "So who hates puppies?" Then it shows the Time Warner Logo afterwards, as to say Time Warner hates puppies. I know I have a stupid memory :)

:doh:....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKkX1wvgBw

What I am so sick and tired of are the fees. Why is the same piece of hardware, my Joey, going to cost more? They have already recouped the cost of the hardware, and there is no higher cost associated with however many TV's I have. I already had a hard enough time switching from my 722 to the Hopper with the big price increase I took there, now to jack my prices up another $13 a month just might send me over the edge, and send me to my local cable company.

I bet if we weren't forced to have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN4, ESPN5, ESPN6, ESPN7, Disney Channel, etc. that we would not be hit with this many rate increases. I don't watch 90% of the channels in my package, but I am forced into the package for a few channels. I think it might also be time to see what shows I watch on the channels keeping me in the 250 package and see what I can get on Amazon Prime, Netflix, WWW, etc.

Last edited:
What I am so sick and tired of are the fees. Why is the same piece of hardware, my Joey, going to cost more? They have already recouped the cost of the hardware, and there is no higher cost associated with however many TV's I have. I already had a hard enough time switching from my 722 to the Hopper with the big price increase I took there, now to jack my prices up another $13 a month just might send me over the edge, and send me to my local cable company.

The Joey is not going up in cost at all. The Joey is $7 per month. Maybe we need a better explanation here. When the Hopper originally came out it was $10 for the whole home DVR fee, $7 for each Joey and $7 for a secondary Hopper. Dish then changed the price of the whole home DVR fee to $12 and raised the cost of a secondary Hopper to $12. The price of the Joey has remained the same.

Now, when Dish made these changes they allowed the original Hopper customers to be grandfathered in with their original prices. This of course did not last for very long and now we will all be paying the same fees for Hopper equipment. These are the current fees that all Hopper customers will be paying:

Whole home DVR fee - $12
Secondary Hopper fee - $12
Each Joey fee - $7

I wonder how many would be up in arms if Dish had come out with the current fees from the get-go. $12 whole home fee instead of the 922's $10 DVR fee, but the Hopper has an extra tuner, and more space, speed and features. $12 for the additional Hopper, which is $5 less than an additional 722/922, and it has an extra tuner, plus more features...etc etc. If they had done that, and included the first Joey free as part of the $12 whole home fee, then they could have avoided such a customer relations nightmare.

But I guess we will find out next month for sure, when the bill comes due.

Existing customers who have signed up within the year will be receiving price protection discount for a certain period to offset the initial price increase Jan. 17th. The same will be for existing Hopper customers.

If you are in the first year of your contract you will receive credits to offset the increase for first 12 months of your contract. For example: If you signed up November 2nd, 2013 you should receive credits until November 2nd, 2014.

Last edited:
For those of you looking to sign up for 2 Hoppers as a new customer, there will be a price change for the secondary Hopper. Right now there is an upfront cost to get a secondary Hopper($99) or Hopper with Sling($199). These fees will change to $49 for a Hopper and $99 for Hopper with Sling.

This would save you $100 if you were looking at getting 2 Hopper with Sling receivers.

Existing customers who have signed up within the year will be receiving price protection discount for a certain period to offset the initial price increase Jan. 17th. The same will be for existing Hopper customers.

If you are in the first year of your contract you will receive credits to offset the increase for first 12 months of your contract. For example: If you signed up November 2nd, 2013 you should receive credits until November 2nd, 2014.
What if you own your receiver and are under NO contract?

I bet if I call and tell them it is a deal breaker for me and my three DISH accounts I get a deal.

I'm sure you can swing some kind of deal with them but I don't think you are eligible for the same discount that people under contract will be getting. Chances are they will offer you a better deal actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)