Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

I think the biggest problem dish didn't notice is when the hopper first came out, families of 4 or 5 were getting a Hopper and 3 or 4 joeys. Dish advertised record 6 shows at a time but families with that setup ran into conflicts with recording and watching live tv. I think less joeys were being installed after people wanted a 2nd hopper. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a 2nd hopper with Dish.

What if you only have one tv with just a hopper? Can dish charge you a whole home DVR fee when it's only being fed to one tv ?

I think Xfinity's DVR is 17.95 a month and I don't think Free HD is included . Even though dish is cheaper than the competition, people are just tired of increases.

What if you only have one tv with just a hopper? Can dish charge you a whole home DVR fee when it's only being fed to one tv ?
yes. Hate to say it but Directv does it too now.

I think Xfinity's DVR is 17.95 a month and I don't think Free HD is included .
actually it is. I've checked info on Comcast and you get a SD receiver included. If you want HD then its $10 a month for the box. 17.95 for the HD DVR

At what cost for the extra receiver with tuners? Is it more than a mini? Post after post fails to talk about the cost of Direct like somehow you are getting better or less. Of course you can add a receiver with tuners to the Genie, but how much more then?
I'm just not getting why it's being portrayed that DISH is way out of line on all this. No one wants increases of course, but all the arguements forget a small fact - Direct TV is right around or more expensive for what we are talking about and as mentioned DISH at least gives a choice to spend less, much less. By the way Charter where I am and FIOS where I am are also more expensive for lesser equipment.

You and I are on the same page here. People are failing to see the correct comparisons. Stop comparing Dishes regular price with the extra fees to other provider's new customer promos. We need to be only looking at the extra fees from providers. Once you do that then you can decide which provider is worth that extra cost.

I think most will find that Dish is the same price, plus or minus a couple bucks. If the price is similar then I'm going with my 6 tuners on the two Hoppers I have.

I do think DISH missed a very good opportunity to keep subs and seems to be blowing it. I don't know if financially DISH could do it, judging from the rebate it seems they could though, but just don't increase the second Hopper for previous subscribers. Combine that with HD for life those customers will have and even a new customer promotional price somewhere else won't be quite so enticing. In fact it would also alleviate the envy of new customer DISH prices long time subscribers see. DISH could cut back on 1/2 off offers if they needed to, but this is the kind of thing DISH just does not handle well and it leads to more churn than is needed even in a bad economy.

Doesn't mean I have to bend over and take it and not say anything either. You should know that about me by now Kab.

If people just kept their mouths shut all the time change would never happen. I do remember last Feb or March when the fee's were going up. It seemed like everyone was pissed and bitching about it. Most people here agreed. Some of the usual people bent over and took it but that is what they do. Now if there wasn't any outrage back then I bet the whole grandfathered fees deal would not have happened. Some people need to realize not everyone will bend over to corporate American. So keep on keeping on MikeD. If people don't like it there is ignore.

I never knew that if you have someone on ignore you can see their posts when it's quoted.

I've reacted to the price increased the only way I can. I just dropped Showtime. (the website did offer it for 6 months at a discount that I said no to)

You and I are on the same page here. People are failing to see the correct comparisons. Stop comparing Dishes regular price with the extra fees to other provider's new customer promos. We need to be only looking at the extra fees from providers. Once you do that then you can decide which provider is worth that extra cost.

I think most will find that Dish is the same price, plus or minus a couple bucks. If the price is similar then I'm going with my 6 tuners on the two Hoppers I have.

I disagree a bit. You use the promo pricing and upfront cost to determine if switching makes sense from a financial point, then you look at the retail of both to determine which is best long term. Or if you're a switcher, the long term never comes into play at all. And that works for smaller installations or ones that use the Mini or Joey vice multiple Hoppers or Genie+HRxx's.

With both services, if you want an extra Hopper there is an upfront cost, just as there is if you want an additional HRxx. The only way you don't have an upfront with either is a single Hopper/Genie and multiple Joeys/Minis up to the max allowed for free.

In my case, at the level of sub I am at now with Dish, including the discounts on the premiums, BB@Home and Multi-sport, I save about $25/month in the first year if I choose to switch to D* with one Genie and one HRxx. That includes the ETF, ETF rebate from D* and $199 the HRxx costs upfront.

Whether that works for others depends on their subscription level and how much and what kind of equipment.

After that, with the increases both have announced and at retail considering no discounts at all, the difference between Dish and DirecTV is nearly zilch.

I just called to cancel (due to a local NBC station being out + price increases) and dish kept me. $40.00 discount for 12 months, 3 months of movie channels and 3 PPV certificates. I guess I'll stay for another year since I don't have any contract.

Looks like I'm cancelling. , I rarely watch TV now as it is, just have my shows that I pre-record but I have other (cough, cough) means of viewing them, that's a heck of a lot cheaper, then I have a Roku as well.

Looks like I'm cancelling. , I rarely watch TV now as it is, just have my shows that I pre-record but I have other (cough, cough) means of viewing them, that's a heck of a lot cheaper, then I have a Roku as well.

Well don't let the door hit you....... Nah, I'm just kidding. Let us know how well it works for you after a few months. I'm curious how well people get along with getting rid of pay TV. I know some have no problems but others really miss out on some shows and features.

Can't cut the cord here, no choice for networks other than Dish or Direct. No OTA available, so I'll just change the channel package. Besides like Scherrman said, I love the equipment, ease of use, Dish Anywhere/transfer & having EHD's - that's got to be worth a little extra $$!

Was thinking about it

I was thinking that way. That is till my ISP sent me a nasty notice the other day. I was unable to log on to any site. Had to go thru this song and dance and finally got on. Well that song and dance consisted of being forced to agree to their brand new TOS. And if I used that much 2 more times I would have to pay extra for for my net. IOW's tuff we have a new policy that we just stuck in place and we gonna charge the crap out of you for us being so nice as to supply net in your area. The only other ISP in my area has exactly the same policy and slower speed. I just wonder where they got that idea, HMMMM?:rolleyes:

Well my new bill generated on the 3rd just like it was supposed to. But no sign of the impending rate increases as the original email I got said would appear on it. Does this mean they've been cancelled?? :)

I was thinking that way. That is till my ISP sent me a nasty notice the other day. I was unable to log on to any site. Had to go thru this song and dance and finally got on. Well that song and dance consisted of being forced to agree to their brand new TOS. And if I used that much 2 more times I would have to pay extra for for my net. IOW's tuff we have a new policy that we just stuck in place and we gonna charge the crap out of you for us being so nice as to supply net in your area. The only other ISP in my area has exactly the same policy and slower speed. I just wonder where they got that idea, HMMMM?:rolleyes:

Some of us here have posted that was exactly what would happen and it is going to get worse. For those with only one or maybe two choices for high speed internet you will be more a prisoner of costs if you depend on them for everything. (In Ct I have one choice for high speed) I still feel strongly Satellite is the best delivery of TV, and I hope both providers find a way to make it more affordable. Hoping DISH really does come up with a plan where you can upgrade for a day or period of time then downgrade right from the guide along the ways that they apparently are thinking about.

I know many wouldn't agree with me, but if nothing changed with what is on Dish that Disney owns right now, it wouldn't make me mad at all.

For our house I agree. I can live with ESPN's that are currently in SD and we must not watch the other Disney channels that are in SD. Problem is it won't stay that way, they will come to an agreement and cost will rise more than it would have at some point, or they won't agree and then channels we do want will go away.

Yeah, I know. :(

I've never quite figured out why the Disney kids channels are all that important in HD. Kids don't care. Is it noisy, colorful and with lots of movement? That's what matters. The only time I've seen the kids care is if the parents cared and commented a lot about it.

For me ESPN gets watched rarely and that for Golf, and ESPN2 for Friday Night Fights. Other than that, I don't watch them. And my local ABC isn't an O&O...

For our house I agree. I can live with ESPN's that are currently in SD and we must not watch the other Disney channels that are in SD. Problem is it won't stay that way, they will come to an agreement and cost will rise more than it would have at some point, or they won't agree and then channels we do want will go away.

But yet, without the HD feeds Dish cost basically the same as Directv with all Disney/ESPN in HD and Dish will be raising rates higher than Directv in the coming months. Why is that? Crazy that many are giving Charlie a pass on not getting a deal worked out with Disney/ESPN. It's been years and yet our costs are in line with Directv's.

Yeah, I know. :( I've never quite figured out why the Disney kids channels are all that important in HD. Kids don't care. Is it noisy, colorful and with lots of movement? That's what matters. The only time I've seen the kids care is if the parents cared and commented a lot about it. For me ESPN gets watched rarely and that for Golf, and ESPN2 for Friday Night Fights. Other than that, I don't watch them. And my local ABC isn't an O&O...

When we watch a few movies with the kids, especially abc family there are times I wish it was in HD and Disney xd has some super hero shows that would be nice to see in HD

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)