Price increases

jrv331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
NE Ohio
I was looking at some D* programing packages and noticed that their prices had gone up from last week. Is E* planning any program prices increases in the next few months?
Thanks
John

It's always possible but not likely since they raised prices on the main programming packages on 2/1/04.

DirectTV raised their rates on 3/1
Dish raised them 2/1

probably wont see any raises from either one for a while

Both Dish and Direct are increasing prices about once a year now around the beginning of the year. I have noticed that Dish likes to make their increase around February.

So, let me see if I have this straight... Added to Dish's AT150 (now AT180) package in the last year were GOL TV and Reality TV (were there any others?). They could've left out those two channels and left my price alone, IMHO.

Note that I don't include any shopping channels, or fake channels like Bingo TV.

Just because the price changes, you expect to get something in return? Blame the companies who think their channel is worth more (when in reality it isnt). Blame inflation.

Time Warner Cable (where my mom lives) raised their analog rates $4. And what did they get for that $4 extra...not a damn thing. Just a "Thank you for allowing us to rip you off" from ther cable company.

Im sorry for the rant, but geez, everytime a price change happens, people expect to receive all these extra channels.

We don't expect to have new channels everytime but it does soften the blow of the price increase. For example , last year we got 2 new cinemax channels when we received our price increase last year.

Aperry seeing AT-180 contains AT-60 and 120 all channels added show up in the 180 package. Regretfully DISH hasn't added a valuable channel in over 2 years by my estimation.

Price changes for Dish (at least since I've been with them.. 3 years) have always been reflective of the results of the previous years negotiations with the rebroadcast rights of various channels. Viacom and Disney have been the latest groups that hit Echostar, DirecTV and the cable industry with significant increases in fees to carry their channels.

Often, channel line-up changes within the packaged occur around the same time to help the customer feel there is some value for the increase.

boba said:
Aperry seeing AT-180 contains AT-60 and 120 all channels added show up in the 180 package. Regretfully DISH hasn't added a valuable channel in over 2 years by my estimation.

I just love the 12 shopping channels... I can watch crappy gaudy jewelry go for prices well beyond my means all day.

boba said:

Are there valuable channels to add that wouldn't cost and arm and a leg?

It's not the NEW channels that cause the price increases, it's the gougers like ESPN that have been raising their rates 20% a year for the last few years........

The additional channels such as Reality TV does not contribute to the price increase. The only thing that contributes to a price increase is multiple channel additions or certain more expensive ones, such as the Discovery channels, etc. that were added in the past. Sometimes they just add some channels to make the customers feel as if there some justification for it.

One channel that my wife would kill for is Oxygen. I would kill for west coast feeds for the channels we already have. I know that many of the Viacom's have west coast feeds (MTV, VH1, Lifetime, USA, Comedy Central), plus I'd like to get west coast feeds of USA, Discovery, and fX.

They already offer Nick-W and Disney-W, so I don't understand why they couldn't offer the others.

I'm sure that many would say "To heck with the west coast feeds, we want new channels", which would be nice too...

The reason for Nick W and Disney W is that they are "time critical". The programming on those channels are aimed at specific audiences that would most likely be watching durng very narrow time windows. Nick Jr. is on in the mornings from about 6 am to 2pm (eastern and pacific) when preschoolers are home, and older kids are in school. The "after school programming is on from about 2pm eastern and Pacific to 6pm when kids age 6-12 are most likely to watch TV and the Tween programming is on from about 5 to 8 when that audience is most likely to be watching. And after 8 or 9 it's family-time programming with Nick at Nite. Disney's schedule is similar. Having "after school" programming start at noon pacific is not really good programming so the west coast feed is necessary.

The thing is that none of the other "regular" channels don't have time critical schedules. And many have a three hour repeat cycle anyway. So that is why most channels don't get a west coast feed.

Of course, the 3am infomercial program block on many channels HAS to go! The west coast does get screwed there since the infomercial ghetto starts at 12am there.

See ya
Tony

bcshields said:
I just love the 12 shopping channels... I can watch crappy gaudy jewelry go for prices well beyond my means all day.
I get 13 shopping channels, or two when "Hide Locked" is selected on my receiver. :D

New channels are nice, especially when there is a price increase. ARTS, SiTV, and the future TVGuide channel are good adds. Nicktoons will probably be part of the eventual Viacom compromise. All hope is not lost for new channels.

There will always be desired channels that don't make the cut. Sorry that they are your potential favorites. Maybe next year (or 2006) when more locals can be moved to spotbeams.

Once Sirius music is added the current AT120 and above packages will really make AT60 look puny - unless E* puts the CD channels in AT60 or AT60 plus.

JL

TNGTony said:
The reason for Nick W and Disney W is that they are "time critical"....
I would still be interested in seeing them added. Both for the infomercial wasteland you mentioned and just to get 1 or two more chances at watching a show...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts