Pricing Question (Upgrade to Hopper/Joey)

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Hi all, question on current pricing/offers and looking for confirmation on what I've found. Dish's site isn't the easiest to find this on, and I'm not sure if there's any promotions or whatnot.

Looking to upgrade my parents who currently have a 722, 222k, and 211k. They're swapping out an old SDTV (connected to the 722) with an HDTV and I need to do something to get HD on that set.

The 211 is typically used seasonally in an "RV" (although the marine kind) so I need to keep that on the account. I believe that is still doable even with the Hopper/Joey setup? Otherwise they wouldn't want to take the Hopper on the boat (and risk losing DVR'ed shows) - so I think that's the only option.

I don't forsee them watching DVR'ed shows often outside the living room, so while it'd be nice to get them on whole-house DVR, it may not be worth the price.

Right now, their bill breaks down to:

AT250 $89.99
722 $0.00 (1st receiver free)
222k $14.00
211k $7.00
DVR Service $7.00

Total $117.99

If they were to go to the Hopper/Joey setup, the cost would seem to be:

AT250 $89.99
Hopper $0.00 (1st receiver free)
Joey $7.00
Joey $7.00
SuperJoey $10.00
211 $7.00
DVR Service $15.00

Total $135.99

That's an increase of $18/month just to get multi-room DVR. Does this look correct?

I'm considering just swapping the 222k for two 211k/211z boxes and calling it a day - that should keep the price the same. Already have a DPP44 from the days of the dual Dish-500 setup (61.5/110/119) so I could run all 4 receivers off the dish.

Part of me hates to keep adding legacy technology, but I know they'd probably rather save the $216 a year...

I'm not quite sure why you're bothering with the Super Joey as it looks like you're hooking up 4 rooms total so a Hopper and 3 Joeys should do the job just fine. If it's recording conflicts you're worried about just make sure to upgrade to the Hopper 3 which has 16 tuners and that'll be a non issue. It will still be a monthly cost increase but it'll be 125.99 instead of 135.99 .

Last edited:
As much as I love the Hopper system, and can sympathize with your thoughts on adding more legacy equip, here's another take. Depending on how much time they spend watching TVs at the locations with 211s in your scenarios, they may get frustrated with the slow operation of the Joeys. Even on a Hopper 3 system with Joey 2, the Joey locations aren't terribly fast. Especially if there is little interest in watching DVR content at these locations. Also, depending on your parent's comfort level with technology, you'd have the learning curve of a whole new interface on the Hopper system, compared to the older interface on the 722/211 that your parents are used to.

If they get the internet on the boat , they can drop the 211 and use dish anywhere. I use dish anywhere in the house , also. I have laptops connected via HDMI to TVs in 2 rooms and eliminate 2 Joey fees.

I'm not quite sure why you're bothering with the Super Joey as it looks like you're hooking up 4 rooms total so a Hopper and 3 Joeys should do the job just fine. If it's recording conflicts you're worried about just make sure to upgrade to the Hopper 3 which has 16 tuners and that'll be a non issue. It will still be a monthly cost increase but it'll be 125.99 instead of 135.99 .

Ah. I had tried the Dish builder wizard (for new customers) and it had put in a Hopper, two Joeys, and a Super Joey for 4 rooms. But looking more into it, looks like the Hopper has 3 tuners and that's probably fine (there's only two of them, plus the occasional grandchild visit).

Top 250 $89.99
DvR fee $15
3 Joeys $21
211 $7
Equals $132.99

Yeah, with the 211 still in there, foregoing the Super Joey only looks to shave off $3/month - so it's still a $15/month increase.

As much as I love the Hopper system, and can sympathize with your thoughts on adding more legacy equip, here's another take. Depending on how much time they spend watching TVs at the locations with 211s in your scenarios, they may get frustrated with the slow operation of the Joeys. Even on a Hopper 3 system with Joey 2, the Joey locations aren't terribly fast. Especially if there is little interest in watching DVR content at these locations. Also, depending on your parent's comfort level with technology, you'd have the learning curve of a whole new interface on the Hopper system, compared to the older interface on the 722/211 that your parents are used to.

This is actually a good and relevant point. The learning curve is definitely a factor, at least for one of them (took until the local paper stopped publishing TV listings to start using the guide). Keeping the 722/211 setup wouldn't change any of the form/function. I'll probably end up doing that - otherwise they might not being happy paying more per month for something that is more frustrating/confusing.

Reactions: DWS44
Keep in mind top 250 can be had for $79 and addl $5 discount for autopay. Also they should see if top 200 now has all the channels they need at $10 less.

Keep in mind hey can deactivate the 211 when they are not using the RV. That cuts the bill by $7 a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
Keep in mind top 250 can be had for $79 and addl $5 discount for autopay. Also they should see if top 200 now has all the channels they need at $10 less.

Is this for existing customers too? They currently have autopay and no discount.

Their 722 will already provide HD to the new TV, just get an HDMI cable.

Not on TV2 though (which is the TV being replaced).

The Hopper and H3 cost the same monthly so no point in getting an H2. More tuners and features, same price, will be the same learning curve.

No it is not just for new customers. New customers get an additional $5 off the Hopper DVR fee otherwise current and new get the deal.
Show me where you get Top 250 for $79.99 by having autopay as an existing customer.
I get a $10 credit for autopay, but as soon as my price lock is over,that $10 is no longer available.

d6891e0e8338e8b101c9cf88cfe33e09.jpg

New customer promo is offering $15 off for 24 months.
Thats $5 off DVR fee, and $10 auto pay credit for 24 months

Last edited:
First not what I posted. I said you can get Top 250 for $79 AND an additional $5 for autopay as a current customer. There have been many posts on how to get it, I'm not going to do your homework for you. Do a Search. I pay $15 less a month for Top 200 than before the existing customer deals, so $64.99 rather than $79.99. Same applies for Top 120+ and up. Exactly as I posted existing customers can get new customer deals minus the $5 off the Hopper fee.

First not what I posted. I said you can get Top 250 for $79 AND an additional $5 for autopay as a current customer. There have been many posts on how to get it, I'm not going to do your homework for you. Do a Search. I pay $15 less a month for Top 200 than before the existing customer deals, so $64.99 rather than $79.99. Same applies for Top 120+ and up. Exactly as I posted existing customers can get new customer deals minus the $5 off the Hopper fee.
TOP 250 IS $89.99 for existing customers, Show me where you can get it for $79.99 as an existing customer not Under a New customer promo...

You want to quote wrong pricing again, than back it up.
If you ask for charity well maybe you could get something, but thats not a normal customer or Dish practice.
Copy and paste your bill, just like I did.

You find it , it's in posts here by others than myself, and I contacted DIRT to get the existing customer discount. This isn't new info talked about many weeks ago around the time of the Flex Package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts