Pro/con to using a C31 vs the Genie on "main" tv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mohoelx

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
mo
I know Genie and it's C31 mini-genie devices are "fairly" new, but for reasons of the space (or lack thereof) in my TV cabinet, I am thinking of putting the Genie with the "Cinema Connection" kit with my secondary TV, and run my main TV off a C31.

Any real-world experiences with using the C31 that might suggest this is a bad idea? Not that I really plan to use this feature, but can the C31 clients watch two shows at the same time as mentioned on the Genie?

Thanks -

Dont do it. The C31's are prone to losing the connection to the Genie. They get a Grey, Black and or white screen fairly regularly and overall I think you'd have a very frustrating experience.

I got a C31 two weeks ago and it has froze up on me once, but I only use it every couple days. I think the software is getting better but there are still some bugs that results in having to reboot the HR34 because it won't issue a picture to the C31 on power-up.

It is a new product, from my experience with DirecTV it may well be 3-6 months before the thing is stable and reliable.

As Claude mentioned, there is a bit of delay in loading screens, but it is not too bad.

We got directv installed today. I did notice that the genie clients are quite a bit slower than the main box. Hopefully they fix that.

From an installer's point of view, they are far more stable and reliable than any receiver Dish Network has produced. They can run on RG59 with no problems. The first gray screens are usually only an issue in the first 24 hours, a double red button reset (and software download) fixes all that. They are more sluggish than the HR34 itself.

From an installer's point of view, they are far more stable and reliable than any receiver Dish Network has produced. They can run on RG59 with no problems. The first gray screens are usually only an issue in the first 24 hours, a double red button reset (and software download) fixes all that. They are more sluggish than the HR34 itself.

Can You explain the double red button reset? I have had constant problems from my master bedroom c31 and all the reps can say is the engineers are working on a fix.

I did notice the HR34 is quite fast; faster than the 722k it replaced! The clients last night after letting them sit a few hours seemed to be getting faster.

Does the CCK matter? How do the clients talk to the main box? The installer connected the standard CCK to my wireless bridge that has been giving us fits. I already have a wireless CCK being shipped to me directly.

:D
i must be the ODDball here.........................have had the Genie and one client for two months..........not one single problem (except to program the idle time for shut down) . I have the Client as my main in the living room and my Genie in the Bedroom. works great for me. :rolleyes:

I did notice the HR34 is quite fast; faster than the 722k it replaced! The clients last night after letting them sit a few hours seemed to be getting faster.

Does the CCK matter? How do the clients talk to the main box? The installer connected the standard CCK to my wireless bridge that has been giving us fits. I already have a wireless CCK being shipped to me directly.

I left my cck in the box .I had Ethernet cable at my 722 so we just plugged it in the hr34 and it feeds the clients and I have a hr24
works well have used the on demand a lot great selection and it works , yes I find the hr34 a lot faster and more stable than the two 722 I had.
It is a little slower at the client but works great and seeing and play from both dvrs
as Phil said on duck Duck Dynasty the new direct system make me happy happy happy:)

I left my cck in the box .I had Ethernet cable at my 722 so we just plugged it in the hr34 and it feeds the clients and I have a hr24
works well have used the on demand a lot great selection and it works , yes I find the hr34 a lot faster and more stable than the two 722 I had.
It is a little slower at the client but works great and seeing and play from both dvrs
as Phil said on duck Duck Dynasty the new direct system make me happy happy happy:)

I thought the CCK was required for whole-home DVRs?

it is hooking ethernet directly to receiver disable whole home feature has been stated many times unless genies are different
It is different the hr34 aka genie works as a bridge and it works well only one connection to the hr34 gets broadband to all receivers and clients

It is different the hr34 aka genie works as a bridge and it works well only one connection to the hr34 gets broadband to all receivers and clients

Well that's interesting. So I'm not gaining anything by using the bridge, but I'm not losing anything either. LOL. Guess I could take it out and eliminate a potential point of failure.

The genie client is slower, and also doesn't support picture in picture. So I would put the genie server where you watch tv the most and want the best experience. But if you would rather use the client there instead, the drawbacks are minor enough to deal with.

Well that's interesting. So I'm not gaining anything by using the bridge, but I'm not losing anything either. LOL. Guess I could take it out and eliminate a potential point of failure.

I removed my CCK as well and go directly into my Genie which feeds internet to my clients and my HR24. For some reason my router doesn't get along with the Genie (even when I forced an ip address that isn't anywhere near our other devices. It basically takes my router offline every day...so I live without the Internet for now until I need to purchase something or watch something on demand.

I removed my CCK as well and go directly into my Genie which feeds internet to my clients and my HR24. For some reason my router doesn't get along with the Genie (even when I forced an ip address that isn't anywhere near our other devices. It basically takes my router offline every day...so I live without the Internet for now until I need to purchase something or watch something on demand.

While messing with the CCK-W last night when I did get it to work (but the C31s would not connect with the way I had it working) the Genie/HR34 was throwing my PCs offline as I kept getting IP address conflicts everywhere. Even with setting a manual IP on the Genie it would still do this until I rebooted my router.

Is this normal behavior for the HR34 and the CCK-W?

Make sure you do not have [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]upnp enabled on your router [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]that said I am using a 2wire router and have had 0 problems after I fixed the installer mistake of connecting both my 24 and 34 to the Ethernet.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]unplugged the Ethernet from the 24 and rebooted all. It works great.[/FONT]

Would uPnP being on cause the issue of the C31 freezing or would it be causing the issue with IP Address conflicts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)