Pro Install Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aneel

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Hello :D! Recently I signed up for E*'s Digital Home Advantage 4-room offer, and I decided to go with Professional Installation because I chose a SuperDish. So, I've been looking at a lot of posts on this forum and DBSTalk, and from that I have a general idea as to what the installation process will involve. I have tried to do a lot of the preinstall work such as determining a proper mounting spot, but the actual installation I leave in the hands of the installer.

However, I'm sure we all know that sometimes the so-called Professionals are not trained and have no idea what they are doing. I've had a look at some of the pictures which show bad installs, and they've mainly shown dishes being set up with indoor quality wiring and switches being left out in the open. I want to know what are some common red-flags to watch out for during the installation, and I want to know what I can do to prevent the installer from messing up. Basically, what should I expect to happen and what should I not let happen? I don't want this to go wrong :(

reasons your installer might not be a professional and to ask for a different installer

-they ask you if you have a ladder
-they ask to use your tools
-you ask for their ID and they show you their belt buckle :)
-they don't know what you mean when you ask to see their license
-they say "no line of sight" without walking around the house

Superdish should be ground installed unless you have no line of sight. The switch shouldnt be dangling off the back of the dish.

If it were me I would insist on the below, it will not guarantee a perfect installation but it will go a long way.

A License (Some states require a license for low voltage installation)
Picture I.D.
SBCA 1+2 certificate (for multi dish installation)
A drill
A ladder
A signal Meter
A site survey tool ( Inclinometer/compass )

If an installer cant meet all of the above its a sad day!

A KEY question to ask is: "How do you intend to ground the equipment?"

There's several RIGHT answers (subject to debate by the members here :)), and at least one "throw him out right now" answer, which is "It doesn't need to be grounded".

Another question I have is this: The installation point I've chosen is about 30 feet away from the shelter of my porch. I would like to keep any rain sensitive equipment, such as the switch, under the porch. Will it ruin the signal if the cables which run to the switch have to go such a distance?

PSB said:
If it were me I would insist on the below, it will not guarantee a perfect installation but it will go a long way.

A License (Some states require a license for low voltage installation)
Picture I.D.
SBCA 1+2 certificate (for multi dish installation)
A drill
A ladder
A signal Meter
A site survey tool ( Inclinometer/compass )

If an installer cant meet all of the above its a sad day!
CT requires a license but the DNSC operation has a principal with the former license and they are in the process of getting the new individual licenses for their techs. The phrase "when Hell freezes over" has been mumbled on the time frame. Not one CT contractor I know has one. The Department of Consumer Protection doesn't care to enforce this on anyone in DBS or cable.

The DNSC in-house ARE NOT SBCA certified and as far as Dish is concerned, don't need to be. As far as DNSC is concerned, the less their techs know technologically, the better. (FSS-1 training lasts a week and covers LESS than the one-day SBCA 1&2 training/certification. FSS-2 is almost entirely about known receiver problems. Even FSS-3 is a joke. You want quality cabling, try to find someone NCTI Master Installer certified. Or better yet, someone with CEDIA certification. One of those high end custom installation people.)

Superdish installs done by contractors are hit or miss. Done by DNSC would be also hit or miss. They don't like doing them.

And an experienced tech knows as soon as he hits the property whether there is line of sight. I have been wrong exactly once in my off the cuff NLoS assesments. Out of five or six hundred times. When you should worry is when they are looking NORTHEAST instead of SOUTHWEST and state there's no line of sight.

As far as grounding, have an electrician verify it afterwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts