Probably going back to DirecTV, need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raj2001

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2003
Wantage, NJ
My cable company's HD offerings aren't all that good, so I'm thinking of going to DirecTV.

I was a sub from 2002 until 2006 when I canceled (apartment wasn't facing the southern sky).

I understand the whole landscape has changed up, so I have a couple questions.

Would I be treated as a "new" subscriber and get discounted equipment, or would I have to pay full price? For now I need a HD DVR and a second SD DVR. I was thinking of using the AAA deal since I am an AAA member.

Do they still have that ridiculous phone line requirement? No landline here, and no plans for one. Only vonage and I understand that DirecTV doesn't work with vonage. Do their DVRs connect to broadband now?

Do they allow self install? I'm doing a homerun for coax and putting wiring in-wall. I don't really care for or need an installer.

Can I opt out of local channel packages? I have an antenna that gives me all the locals I need.

Thanks in advance.

Would I be treated as a "new" subscriber and get discounted equipment

Yes

Do they still have that ridiculous phone line requirement? No landline here, and no plans for one. Only vonage and I understand that DirecTV doesn't work with vonage.

No phoneline needed and I have been a sub for well over a decade with no phone req.

Do their DVRs connect to broadband now?

Yes

Do they allow self install? I'm doing a homerun for coax and putting wiring in-wall. I don't really care for or need an installer.

You can pre-run all your own cable and wall fishes (make sure you use the correct spec of RG6) but NO, you can't self-install your own hardware and get a "freebie deal"; especially the dish.

Can I opt out of local channel packages? I have an antenna that gives me all the locals I need.

Likely so.

The AAA web site says: "A new subscriber is defined as: No DIRECTV service with the last 24 months with no balance due."

The phone line requirement is still there, but they don't enforce it. If you have a HD DVR, it can use an internet connection for PPV (as well as On Demand). Both of my DVRs work fine with Vonage. If you self-install, you might have to pay for the dish. An installer will probably use the cabling you install (RG6, solid copper center conductor is specified).

Local channels are included. I think they will only exclude this if you live in an area without locals available.

So basically what I can do is put a box outside to connect to the dish like we currently have for cable.

How many coax lines are required now? Do they have the same setup with multiswitches etc for the new MPEG4 sats as they did for MPEG2?

The reason for asking for a self install is that I don't want the dish installed on my roof or wall. I want it on a pole in the yard.

The AAA web site says: "A new subscriber is defined as: No DIRECTV service with the last 24 months with no balance due."

Excellent. That means me. :)

The phone line requirement is still there, but they don't enforce it. If you have a HD DVR, it can use an internet connection for PPV (as well as On Demand). Both of my DVRs work fine with Vonage. If you self-install, you might have to pay for the dish. An installer will probably use the cabling you install (RG6, solid copper center conductor is specified).

I'm using commscope RG6QS cable. It should meet or exceed their spec.

Local channels are included. I think they will only exclude this if you live in an area without locals available.

Well even if I have to take locals I don't mind. I was just wondering if I could exclude the locals since I have a decent OTA setup.

Thanks for your answers.

The reason for asking for a self install is that I don't want the dish installed on my roof or wall. I want it on a pole in the yard.

Just tell them that is is a requirement. They most likely will charge for it but it is not that much. I think my mother-in-law just paid $60 to have the pole installed and dish mounted. When I had mine installed they did not charge me anything for the extra work.

If push comes to shove I will just install the pole myself and let them mount it there.

The reason for wanting the pole is simple - snow fade. Brushing snow off the dish on a pole in the yard is much easier than for a dish on the roof.

Also the wife wants no antennas on the house. She let me have a 70 foot ham radio tower but no antennas on the house. Imagine that. :D

If I'm correct, I think Directv stopped attaching the 5 lnb dish to the house completely, due to it's size(or there was talk about it). There were complaints. Can't confirm that though. I personally would never let them do it again. Too much wind resistance.

Originally Posted by Bob Nielsen View Post
Excellent. That means me.

When did this change ?
It use to be once a SUB always a Sub ....
Can anyone verify this ?

Jimbo

Just tell them that is is a requirement. They most likely will charge for it but it is not that much. I think my mother-in-law just paid $60 to have the pole installed and dish mounted. When I had mine installed they did not charge me anything for the extra work.

He can always plant the pole himself .

Jimbo

Originally Posted by Bob Nielsen View Post
Excellent. That means me.

When did this change ?
It use to be once a SUB always a Sub ....
Can anyone verify this ?

Jimbo

I can. I signed up for D last year and few days later canceled the service. Signed up again in 2008 and was treated as a new customer with the AAA deal and the $23 credit for 12 months online offer with free install

I can. I signed up for D last year and few days later canceled the service. Signed up again in 2008 and was treated as a new customer with the AAA deal and the $23 credit for 12 months online offer with free install

Hmmmm,
I guess that's good news, so if you decide to leave you can come back and get all the promos and equipment again, you would think people would abuse that ... to a point that D* would not allow it. Guess they want more and more subs ...
Tooo bad they rarely take care of the existing sub.

Jimbo

If I'm correct, I think Directv stopped attaching the 5 lnb dish to the house completely, due to it's size(or there was talk about it). There were complaints. Can't confirm that though. I personally would never let them do it again. Too much wind resistance.

I think they still do; I saw one installed on a roof down the street a couple months ago. BTW, when D* came out to replace my AT9 with a Slimline, they added another monopole. That sucker isn't moving now! :)

So what's D*'s HD quality like these days with the new MPEG4 sats?

My last knowledge about D* HD was when they were doing the whole odd shaped pixels thing and downrezzing HD (or at least making it look worse).

NOt sure if this has changed with MPEG4 and the new sats.

So what's D*'s HD quality like these days with the new MPEG4 sats?

My last knowledge about D* HD was when they were doing the whole odd shaped pixels thing and downrezzing HD (or at least making it look worse).

NOt sure if this has changed with MPEG4 and the new sats.

No more downrez/HD Lite on the MPEG4 HD channels now. D*'s loading only 5 HD channels pre transponder to help prevent bandwidth issues also.

No more downrez/HD Lite on the MPEG4 HD channels now. D*'s loading only 5 HD channels pre transponder to help prevent bandwidth issues also.

Yeah the picture quality is great ;).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)