Probably switching to Dish from DirecTV, a few questions

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Dish network is beating DirecTV on HD, both in content and equipment, so I'm probably going to switch. One question I have is about additional outlets. I went through dish builder, and it wants to sell me a 622 (cool, for HD DVR and second room SD DVR) and a 322 (non DVR for two rooms). I want 2 311s instead, because the two non dvr rooms have homeruns to the dish already. One of the rooms isnt ready yet anyway (junk room, going to get cleaned out in a month). whats the best way to do this? Should I just buy a 3 room solution, get a 311 now, and then order another 311 later? I'll be on a lease/DHA whatever plan so will that cost anything? I won't need installation, since the line is run. Or, can I order it now, get 2 311s intead of 1 322 and get the installer to leave it uninstalled (activate it on a tv thats available) and let me hook it up later?

Joseph, I would stay with D* if I were you. I just got of the phone with D* and I am their newest customer. I had been with E* for several years. I actually now believe D* has better HD programming for where I am located. I'm in Birmingham just like you and they will have our locals in HD in April. If you want to watch Fox, NBC and ABC in HD you won't get them in 2006 from E*. I confirmed that with an executive today. I have had Voom for about 6 months and hardly ever watch it. I learned today also that D* will have TNT in HD on Feb 17th. They also have several more in the works.

I was one of the first to get the 622 ordered on Feb 1st but learned yesterday that all it will get me that I can't get today with my 811 is ESPN2 and Universal. Not worth $299 and $6 a month for that and my monthly bill going up $10 a month. I got a phone call to E* to make now and tell them they can keep the 622. I think anyone that has got new equipment from E* in the past knows there is a very good chance it will be bug proned for several months.

Well, my H10 got struck by lightning. For the price it'll cost to replace it (well, $50 more after the $50 DHA credit) I can have more channels and an HD DVR that will let me watch stuff from HD channels on my SD TV. I would love HD Locals, especially since I live out in the boonies (Almost Tuscaloosa), but I dont' know how the equipment on DirecTV is gonna be. I reallllly want an HD DVR, but I'm not going to get an HD Tivo, especially if HD Locals are coming in April.

If DirecTV would give some guidance on their HD DVR (really, the home media center is what I want, but just the plain HD DVR based on the new NDS platform would be awesome too) then I might be able to make better plans

Well, I don't want to turn this into a flame thread. I ended up just buying an H20 (had some store credit at Best Buy, ended up getting it for $40 out of pocket). We'll see what happens in April and then later this year with the HD DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)