Problem adding new Sats to Captive Works

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I am having trouble adding new sats to my CW receiver. The preinstalled sats only goes as far east as EchoStar 3 ( 61.5W). My Longitude is 76.8W. My true south sat is EchoStar 4. ( 77W). The Stab rotor has a window of approx. 130 deg., so I should be able to get sats as far east as 12.5W and as far west as 142W. I'm not having a problem w/ the western sats as far as being able to pick them up, but I would like to get some farther east than what is pre programmed.
When I try to add a new sat like say one of the Atlantic sats I enter the longitude and the direction ( west ) and every time, it reverts to an E or east direction after I select ok. I tried it both directions and it only will show an E after the new entry. Has anyone else had this problem, or am I missing someting? It is possible to get one of the Atlantic satellites with my receiver isn't it?

Thanks for input.

damn good question...I just tried mine and I can't even add a satellite :(

to change it, I know some receivers you hilite the E and hit OK and it makes it a W

Last edited:
I found a way to do it....its cumbersome but it works

Captiveworks has a channel editor program (like Channelmaster). I'm playing with it right now. What you can do is upload your channels to a file and open it with this. You can add satellites, delete them or edit them. I went through and edited a couple C-Band ones and made them KU.

All you do is click on a C-Band satellite, right click and say "edit" and you can edit it. You can edit the LO frequency and the degree its at, even the name :)

Let me upload it here pretty quick. I'll load the channel editor program and the loader

Here ya go :)

The item with the CW is the loader. This is how you upload your channels to edit them
The item that looks like a sun is the channel editor
The other file is a blank satellite list (I guess for you to do a trial run on)

Don't worry...as long as you dont load the channels back into the box unitl you are 100% sure you like it,. the channels on the box won't screw up :)

Attachments

• Captiveworks.zip
    455.1 KB · Views: 881
Are you talking about uploading them to your computer? What program are you editing them with? Or are you doing it all on the receiver? I'm a little confused.

What I am doing is uploading the channels to the computer, editing them with the channel editor program and then downloading the updated list back to the receiver. This also works for satellites

Everything you need is in the zip file i posted above. Save to computer, unzip it and have fun :)

I did attach a temp channel list. Its just the satellites but you can play with that or just upload your existing channel list.

As long as you dont download it back, what you do on the computer wont mess the channel list :)

saves wear and tear on remote (and fingers)

no problemo :)

Let us know if you run into issues.

(I love the chane,l editor programs....allows me to move satellites around and edit channels/satellites) :)

Just FYI, If you have SatcoDX, you can punch in your lat/long there and specify the services that you would want to see and the size of your dish and it will go ahead and create a satellite list for your specific location and then you can hook up your computer to your CW600 and it will program the CW with the new list for you. I have done it with mine and it works fine.

Last edited:
I was checking out the SatcoDX option. I haven't subscribed yet. If Iceberg's solution doesn't work I may try it. Thanks

Ok Iceberg,

I connected my CW receiver to my computer w/ the serial cable supplied with an extension cable. I rebooted ( the computer ), opened the program and tried to upload to file and nothing happened. Do I need to install something first to make the upload/download program work? I checked the computer's BIOS settings to make sure the serial port was enabled. It was. Also checked in device manager to see if the com port was working. That was ok too. Can you fill me in on anything else? Thanks

its gotta be a null modem cable or it wont work

power on receiver needs to be off (not the switch off, just standby)

hit "upload" and it should work.

Ok that was easy enough. I had the box on. Only thing is that the file window isn't big enough to see where the file is being placed. Does it put it in the same directory as the program? And does it over write any other uploaded files, like the one you attached? It didn't give me any way to name the file.

yes it saves it in the same folder as your program...and yes it would override mine. So what you might want to do is rename them as you use them (I do that right away so I dont override one)

I reloaded the file you sent and it opened yours. It won't open the one I uploaded. It says " This file is not a correct file. Please select another". I'm not sure what that's all about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)