Problem connecting VIP211k to a projector

lrihel

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
WV
I've had this issue ever since the dish has been set up and haven't been able to find a solution. I am trying to connect a VIP211k receiver to a DLP projector. The projector only has VGA and SVIDEO inputs so I'm using a Component to VGA cable from the receiver into a 50ft VGA extender cable to reach the projector. With the VIP 211k I get no signal, but when I try the exact same set up using the VIP722 receiver it works great. Also if I remove the 50ft extension cable and blug the component to VGA cable straight into the projecor it works with the VIP211k. So I'm thinking it has somehing to do with the 50ft extension and maybe the signal from the 211k is weaker than the 722? I tried also sending it through a VGA distribution amp but the amp doesn't even read an active signal coming through it. I've got an older AV receiever that doesn't take compoonent or HDMI so thats not an option at this point. I even ha tech from Dish come out an d look at it but they couldn't figure it out eiter. Tried a different 211k receiver and had the same results. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

My understanding was the VGA or SVGA has a higher max resolution than S-Video? I've been able to connect it using a 6 ft S-Video cord but haven't had access to a 50ft cord yet to try it. The projector seems to do a decent job at converting higher resolution signals. I've used the same set up connecting the VIP722 and it looked great through the VGA. I've also connected an XBOX 360, and PS3 through the VGA and get a signal on everything except the VIP211k.

That is true. But is his other option VGA HD?
Just because it's a "VGA" connection, doesn't mean that it is limited to VGA resolution. Each projector has its own specifications, whether it be VGA (640x480 max), SVGA (800x600 max), XGA, WXGA, and a few others I can't remember, which is definitely getting up there in the HD range.

I havent tried longer component cables yet. I think the longest I have are only 6 feet. I've got a component coupler so I'll give VIP211k to 6 ft component to 6 ft component/vga a shot, but thats probably the max distance I can getat the moment. I'll let you know how that goes.

Quick update, I've borrowed a few additinoal cables. I've now done the Reciever->6Ft Component-> 6ft Component /VGA adapter -> 6 ft VGA -> to a second 6 ft VGA via a gender switcher -> into the projector, and it works great. So I can only think its the 50ft cable length. I'm going to go ahead get a 35ft cable as think it may just reach. Hopefully that will work.

they also make adapters to turn coax connectors into component.
that way you can make them as long as you need them, but you would have to run 3 coax lines

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts