Problem Installing 5 LNB Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ely

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Miami, FL
I have recently purchased a new HDTV set and ordered the DirecTV HD package, unfortunately I have a 4LNB only dish and to be able to get locals I must upgrade to a 5LNB one, the installers came today and told my mom ( I wasn't home) that it was impossible to install the new antenna and suggested installing an OTA antenna to pick up local channels in HD, However I do not want to do that and I really want to get my bigger dish up there.

They said there's not enough space on the roof edge where the current antenna is placed to hold the stand of the new one and asked if we wanted to install it there I needed to sign up a paper saying I take all security risks, I of course refused to do this ( at this point I was with them over the phone)

After calling DirecTV later on the rep told me DirecTV has some type of poles or stands that can be placed on the backyard floor to install the dish there, she also told me there's some tripods that can be used on those situations and that she was clueless as to why the installers didn't suggest that instead of the OTA alternative.

Do you guys know how big are those poles/tripods and how much they cost? is the reception on those as good as having them on the roof? is it high enough to pick up the satellite signal with no trouble?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

Hello Ely, lets start this way;

1. There is no "4 LNB dish" lets determine what you really have.
a. a single LNB w/1 out (18" standard)
b. a single LNB w/2 out (18" standard)
c. a 2 LNB (18"x24" elliptical) PhaseII, no built-in multi-switch, can have the 3rd LNB added (SatC kit)
d. a 3 LNB w/4 out (18"x20" elliptical) PhaseIII, w/built-in multi-switch

2. What is your zip code so we know where you are.

Last edited:
Ok sorry I guess it's a 3LNB one, I 've had that one since I upgraded my package to get the Spanish channels, and my zip code is 33012, Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Cool, no need to be sorry.

So you are in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale DMA and are wanting to upgrade from the PhaseIII so you can get MPEG2 & MPEG4 HD, including your 2 RSNs and your local affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) in HD?

I have friends and relatives in the West Palm and Key Largo areas and they use the new dishes just fine. The also integrate OTA digital in as well; and this is recommended.

I would find it hard to imagine you not having any line of sight or no ability to mount the mast. Can you describe your install needs, house building type or post photos? You do own the house?

charper1 I'm not sure I understand, There's no problems with the current dish, and I can receive all signals (except locals on HD) with no problem, plain and simple my problem is that they are unable to find a spot on my roof to secure the 5LNB dish properly so I need an alternate place to the rooftop, for example a pole or Tripod.

I need to find out if those are really available from DirecTV, if a DirecTV installer would get it installed for me and how much they cost. Again thanks!

Thats why I was asking if you could post a photo. When you get the new dish the current one can come down. Also, with as much space a roof or chimney, etc has, there should be plenty of room to install without a post. Unless you just happen to be in a very odd need.

DirecTV is not going to do the install, they are contracted out to a local/regional company. The 5 LNB dish setup, especially in SoFla, does not need to be on a tripod. These are 2" galvanized steel pipes sunk into concrete plumb/level.

Post installs are generally done by the contractor but they can vary in quality based on the contractor so its hard to guess who will do what and how unless you can find some other user that has the same thing already and I think the should really be done by the user on the front end so you know what you are getting and its ready to go when the guy gets there. Some companies frown about doing them over a certain height. Some hate doing them altogether.

There are a few FL installers that post here so maybe one will read your post and offer to help out.

Last edited:
I ll see if I can take some pictures tomorrow during the day, and I ll post them here, it's hard for me to explain it too cause my English is limited lol I think the post is really needed cause the whole roof edge is too skinny for the new dish arm to hold properly, I was told they could only get 2 of the screws to hold and they have to leave the other ones un-tighten.

If by edge they mean the fascia board as opposed to the actual roof, then it should really be mounted there anyway. It can go on the roof itself.

Attachments

• Roof Cross-section.jpg
    Roof Cross-section.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 196
If by edge they mean the fascia board as opposed to the actual roof, then it should really be mounted there anyway. It can go on the roof itself.

Tile Roof, Sometimes you have to read between the lines and know the area.

Familiar with the area, see tons of houses with shingles; assumed tiles would have been mentioned up front. I would never assume that although you are likely correct. Here in AZ I would would always assume tile, BUT I still see the 3 & 5 LNB dishes mounted on the roof and chimney.

I am sure either way he will likely get a post but probably should get it installed on his own in the same general area of the PhaseIII; correct?

Familiar with the area, see tons of houses with shingles; assumed tiles would have been mentioned up front. I would never assume that although you are likely correct. Here in AZ I would would always assume tile, BUT I still see the 3 & 5 LNB dishes mounted on the roof and chimney.

I am sure either way he will likely get a post but probably should get it installed on his own in the same general area of the PhaseIII; correct?

Correct

Guys sorry for the confusion, yes I have a tile roof, after talking with DirecTV again they are coming next Thursday supposedly ready to install the antenna on a post. the representative told me it would cost me around $40 dollars to get the work done, I hope she was correct, that's not too bad I was expecting it would cost me a lot more.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and for every 100 satellite dishes I see, 99% are mounted on the fascia boards. The installer wanted to install my AT9 the same way, but with my old 3LNB only two screws were into the board so I knew it would be even worse with the AT9. I installed a galvanised pole and havent lost my signal yet ( even with the summer monsoons we get ) At least here in south Florida, the local installer (Mastec) mounts to the fascia board. Once it's up, they dont care.

charper1 I'm not sure I understand, There's no problems with the current dish, and I can receive all signals (except locals on HD) with no problem, plain and simple my problem is that they are unable to find a spot on my roof to secure the 5LNB dish properly so I need an alternate place to the rooftop, for example a pole or Tripod.

I need to find out if those are really available from DirecTV, if a DirecTV installer would get it installed for me and how much they cost. Again thanks!
I'd like to se a photo of the roof myself..I am familiar with FL style architecture and many homes have "hip and Valley" type roofs...The 5 linb dish requires the use of support struts to aid in wind load..A hip roof corner may interfere with the proper installation of the struts..Also if the roof pitch is very steep and it necesary to climb out onto the roof to install the dish it becomes a safety issue. Why the tech didn't suggest a pole mount is another issue you did not cover..Please elaborate and state all details of the experience so we can better assist you.

Thats why I was asking if you could post a photo. When you get the new dish the current one can come down. Also, with as much space a roof or chimney, etc has, there should be plenty of room to install without a post. Unless you just happen to be in a very odd need.

DirecTV is not going to do the install, they are contracted out to a local/regional company. The 5 LNB dish setup, especially in SoFla, does not need to be on a tripod. These are 2" galvanized steel pipes sunk into concrete plumb/level.

Post installs are generally done by the contractor but they can vary in quality based on the contractor so its hard to guess who will do what and how unless you can find some other user that has the same thing already and I think the should really be done by the user on the front end so you know what you are getting and its ready to go when the guy gets there. Some companies frown about doing them over a certain height. Some hate doing them altogether.

There are a few FL installers that post here so maybe one will read your post and offer to help out.
DTV isn't going to do the install? Why not?....Doesn't DTV have any installers in So FL?.....Mastec?...What gives..

Status
Please reply by conversation.