Problem Recording OTA on VIP622

Sweepy1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Apex NC
I have a problem with my VIP622 and Iam not sure if it is a hardware of software issue. Can anybody shed some light?

The issue: When I record an program(local channel) from my OTA antenna the try and view another channel either Sat or OTA I get a message that this will end my recording. I thought that the dual tuner extended to OTA also? Why can I not record an OTA and then use the second tuner to view anothr channel? Yes the 622 is in single mode and I can view and record 2 sat chennels at once but one cannot be OTA.
When I called Dish they said they had never heard of this issue and will send a note to their engineers.
Somehow by mistake I was send another 622 yesterday( and some folks cannot get even one and I have 2). So anyway I hooked that one up and had it activated and I have th same issue with a new box. Whats going on?

Thanks

Michael:confused:

If you are recording an OTA then you cannot change to another OTA channel, OTA is only one tuner and would be in use due to recording. You should be able to change to channel on either tuner 1 or tuner 2. What is your current set up? Are you using single or dual mode?

The 622 has 2 satellite tuners but only 1 OTA tuner. If you are recording an OTA channel, you cannot watch a different OTA channel. You should be able to watch a satellite channel while the OTA channel is recording.

The 622 only has one OTA tuner. But if you get that message when trying to switch to a sat channel, just hit the swap button on the remote and that will switch you to one of the sat tuners. Works for me.

ripnbigc said:
The 622 only has one OTA tuner. But if you get that message when trying to switch to a sat channel, just hit the swap button on the remote and that will switch you to one of the sat tuners. Works for me.

If you are in single mode, then yes. If you are in dual mode it does not work at all. Thus my question of which mode Sweepy 1 is using. If he is in dual mode with default set to tv1 could be his problem, so again I ask Sweepy "What is your current set up? Are you using single or dual mode?"

Single mode

I am using single mode. confirmed twice.

I did use the swap button and when I tried to change the swap chennel it again wanted to stop the OTA programming. This will go away once HD Local are up but until then it looks like I am screwed

Sweepy1 said:
I am using single mode. confirmed twice.

I did use the swap button and when I tried to change the swap chennel it again wanted to stop the OTA programming. This will go away once HD Local are up but until then it looks like I am screwed

Ok, check this: Menu - Preferences (8) - Record Plus (6). What is listed under 'Activation' and 'Record Preference' ?

Settings are

Enabled and TV2

I just tried again. Insured one tyner is on a sat channel and swapped to the OTA channel are recorded, swapped back to the sat channel and tried to change the channel and again it said I would need to stop recording?

Thoughts ad thanks guys

Sweepy1 said:
Enabled and TV2

I just tried again. Insured one tyner is on a sat channel and swapped to the OTA channel are recorded, swapped back to the sat channel and tried to change the channel and again it said I would need to stop recording?

Thoughts ad thanks guys

Settings are right, you are only recording ota at the moment?

Maybe I missed somthing here so please bear with me. I just bit the big one and went for the $199 lease with the discount of $10 per month on the HD package.

They set everything up (coming back to tweak 129, can't get all of the HD channels) and have the 622 setup in dual mode to allow some guests (grandkids) watch TV2 in the guest room and the adults something different in the family room.

If I schedule something to record from one of the OTA channels and try to watch something using the TV1 tuner I get the message listed at the beginning of the thread. If I'm reading this right, when in dual mode I can't record something OTA and watch something else on TV1.

Do I have this right? If not, when in dual mode how can I schedule a recording of an OTA program and watch something else using the TV1 tuner?

If you are recording an OTA channel, you cannot watch a different OTA channel because there is only one OTA tuner. It should let you watch a sat channel on TV1, but you will have to input the channel number directly, or use the program guide to select the channel. You cannot use the channel up/down buttons when either tuner is recording on TV1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)