Problem when exiting Dish Home

811_newbie

Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
Audubon, N.J.
I just purchased an 811 this week and overall I am very pleased. I have noticed one issue though that has occurred several times now.

I go into the Dish Home Interactive menu , and to the Election Coverage menu. Which BTW I think is a great feature - just wish I could select which 6 channels appear on the menu.

Anyway the issue occurs after I have watched one of the channels from the Election Coverage menu and then exit the Dish Home Interactive menu. I lose the video. I still see the Dish program guide menus but no program video.

The only way I have found to regain the video is to unplug the 811 and re-start.

Has anyone else experenced this? And is there some way to get around this issue other than un-plugging the 811?

Thanks

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

Congratulations, you have ran into the infamous BSOD (Black Screen of Death) issue. This is a known issue and I am assured it is being worked on. If you see someone mention BSOD this is the issue they are referring to. Normally this will happen when watching a channel or when changing from an OTA to a Sat channel after sitting on OTA for awhile, triggers vary for everyone but the problem doesn't. Doing a softboot, holding front panel power button down for like 15 seconds, is the only method of recovery.

Welcome to 811hood...you'll likely run into a few more Demons before another firmware update comes out...I will however state that the 811 has improved from it's original release...

Jason

811_newbie said:
Anyway the issue occurs after I have watched one of the channels from the Election Coverage menu and then exit the Dish Home Interactive menu. I lose the video. I still see the Dish program guide menus but no program video.
Yes, I had the same thing happen last week. I only used Dish Home to check the six screen election coverage once, got the BSOD for the first time in many months, and decided not to use the six screen feature after that.

Problem when exiting Dish Home

I have better luck with the Guide Display set to "Full guide without video", than with "Partial guide with Video", Go to Main Menu, then Set-up,then
Guide Display, to change. It makes my 811's much more stable, won't
totally fix the problems, but may not happen has near as much, at least that's my experience. Also you don't have to unplug your unit should you run into this, just hold down the power button for about 15 seconds (on the 811 not the remote) and let go it will go thru what you will hear on this site called a soft reboot.

I had the BSOD happen two for two when exiting the election coverage screen this morning. I also had it happen 1 for 1 last night on my box. i have yet to not get the BSOD when exiting the Election coverage Dish home feature. Anyone successfully exiting out of it without a BSOD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)