Problem with 110 satellite signal

worstman1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 28, 2010
SW Michigan, USA
I have a 1000.2 WA dish and a 722k receiver. The signal has been great for 3 years. It has only had short dropouts during very heavy rain.

I am having trouble with 110 reporting loss of signal.

The installer pointed at some tree limbs that would need to be removed about now (3 years). I have removed the tree and the signal levels have not improved.

The dish installation screen says:
Transponder: 13
110: 9-11
119: 45-50
129: 45-50

I did a check switch and it dropped the 110 saying it found fewer satellites. I ran it again and 110 came back.

Before I schedule a site visit, what way should I try rotating the dish to see if I can get 110 peaked. I thought West.

Next: if I need a site visit can they do the signal peaking from outside the house. My mom doesn't want a stranger in the house.
If I had to, I could probably be there outside and point the remote through the window for any access.
Or could I move the receiver and a TV to the roof for the installer access.

Thanks for your advice. Tim

Oh, I forgot to put in the wiring. I have 2 lines coming off the lnb port 110 and 119 the input being empty. the 2 lines run to a grounding block.
Line 1 then continues to a splitter which goes to my 722k receiver input 1 and 2.
Line 2 is terminated at the grounding block for future use.
So line 1 carries all 3 satellites to the receiver? If the port were bad I should have low signal on all 3 satellites or is that not how it works.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The numbers tell me the dish needs a little peaking. Having someone watch the 110 signal while you move the dish slightly side to side and up and down by putting some pressure on the reflector without loosening anything first could give you an idea of which way to go when you do loosen the bolts. Make sure you check all three sat numbers of course, before tightening the bolts back up.

I have a 1000.2 WA dish and a 722k receiver. The signal has been great for 3 years. It has only had short dropouts during very heavy rain.

I am having trouble with 110 reporting loss of signal.

The installer pointed at some tree limbs that would need to be removed about now (3 years). I have removed the tree and the signal levels have not improved.

The dish installation screen says:
Transponder: 13
110: 9-11
119: 45-50
129: 45-50

I did a check switch and it dropped the 110 saying it found fewer satellites. I ran it again and 110 came back.

Before I schedule a site visit, what way should I try rotating the dish to see if I can get 110 peaked. I thought West.

Next: if I need a site visit can they do the signal peaking from outside the house. My mom doesn't want a stranger in the house.
If I had to, I could probably be there outside and point the remote through the window for any access.
Or could I move the receiver and a TV to the roof for the installer access.
concrete repair Utah
Thanks for your advice. Tim
My mother has been having problems with rain fade since she switched to Dish Network. The installer made the goof of not plugging in the phone line and ensuring the receiver can "phone home". Also, he used the existing DirecTV dish mount, but did NOT leave the mount that came with the new dish, even after I specifically asked him to do so.

Given this, I checked the alignment of the dish, figuring he didn't spend the time needed to get the dish alignment spot on. Unfortunately, he did have it spot on as it could get. On 119, Mom sees satellite strengths from 91-109 on ConUS, most of which are in the 100's. On 110, the range is 85-105 on ConUS.

However, her spotbeam locals on 110 TP26s11 are clocking in between 89-91 in clear weather from zip 38922 (Coffeeville MS). For comparison, my brother gets 115 on his in Starkville (and his dish is slightly out of alignment).

Also, 110 TP3 signal strength can be observed going from 78-79 to 91-92 and back. All other TPs on both satellites only fluctuate the standard 2-3 points.

When I had a Dish 500, my strengths were 102-115 on both satellites with 119 TP9 (then a spotbeam for Birmingham, AL locals -- 250 miles away from me) at a solid 125 when the dish alignment was spot on.

Is it possible that the LNB unit on her Dish 500 has an issue, especially with TP3 fluctuating like it does? Her equipment consists of a Dish 322 receiver with a Dish 500 and Dish Pro Plus LNB wired to 2 TVs (the second one via coax on Channel 60). She also has the Protection Plan that Dish offers free to new subs.

If it is the LNB, will Dish replace it even thought she gets signals in the 90s and 100s?

Thanks in advance for your input.

My mother has been having problems with rain fade since she switched to Dish Network. The installer made the goof of not plugging in the phone line and ensuring the receiver can "phone home". Also, he used the existing DirecTV dish mount, but did NOT leave the mount that came with the new dish, even after I specifically asked him to do so.

Given this, I checked the alignment of the dish, figuring he didn't spend the time needed to get the dish alignment spot on. Unfortunately, he did have it spot on as it could get. On 119, Mom sees satellite strengths from 91-109 on ConUS, most of which are in the 100's. On 110, the range is 85-105 on ConUS.

However, her spotbeam locals on 110 TP26s11 are clocking in between 89-91 in clear weather from zip 38922 (Coffeeville MS). For comparison, my brother gets 115 on his in Starkville (and his dish is slightly out of alignment).

Also, 110 TP3 signal strength can be observed going from 78-79 to 91-92 and back. All other TPs on both satellites only fluctuate the standard 2-3 points.

When I had a Dish 500, my strengths were 102-115 on both satellites with 119 TP9 (then a spotbeam for Birmingham, AL locals -- 250 miles away from me) at a solid 125 when the dish alignment was spot on.

Is it possible that the LNB unit on her Dish 500 has an issue, especially with TP3 fluctuating like it does? Her equipment consists of a Dish 322 receiver with a Dish 500 and Dish Pro Plus LNB wired to 2 TVs (the second one via coax on Channel 60). She also has the Protection Plan that Dish offers free to new subs.

If it is the LNB, will Dish replace it even thought she gets signals in the 90s and 100s?

Thanks in advance for your input.
First of all, the phone line does not serve as a way for the receiver to phone home. That’s what the Internet connection is for. That technology is obsolete on a hopper.

Second, I’m curious what you’re using to measure those signal strength because they’re not possible. There is an older setting on the satellite buddy meters that will give those kinds of readings but it’s not what’s currently used, due to accuracy.

Typically, we use transponder 21 when checking signal on the receiver. Every transponder has a different strengths so you’re not going to get consistency. For the 110 satellite and the 119, using transponder 21 should be in the 70s with none or very little fluctuation. For the 129, transponder 23 should show signal right at 50.

First of all, the phone line does not serve as a way for the receiver to phone home. That’s what the Internet connection is for. That technology is obsolete on a hopper.

Second, I’m curious what you’re using to measure those signal strength because they’re not possible. There is an older setting on the satellite buddy meters that will give those kinds of readings but it’s not what’s currently used, due to accuracy.

Typically, we use transponder 21 when checking signal on the receiver. Every transponder has a different strengths so you’re not going to get consistency. For the 110 satellite and the 119, using transponder 21 should be in the 70s with none or very little fluctuation. For the 129, transponder 23 should show signal right at 50.
I don't see xsponder 23 for 129 in my check status chart. I see a #30 xsponder. Why do you think 23 does not show?

The numbers tell me the dish needs a little peaking. Having someone watch the 110 signal while you move the dish slightly side to side and up and down by putting some pressure on the reflector without loosening anything first could give you an idea of which way to go when you do loosen the bolts. Make sure you check all three sat numbers of course, before tightening the bolts back up.
NYDutch:
What transponder should I use to peak my 722k? I thought I saw 26 listed in another post.
Also approximately what should the numbers be for the 3 satellites when peaked.
I'm at zip 49009. I have a friend coming on Thursday to help me with peaking the dish.
Thanks

NYDutch:
What transponder should I use to peak my 722k? I thought I saw 26 listed in another post.
Also approximately what should the numbers be for the 3 satellites when peaked.
I'm at zip 49009. I have a friend coming on Thursday to help me with peaking the dish.
Thanks
My meter uses by default Transponder 16 for the 119, 15 for the 110 and 23 for the 129. 110 and 119 should be near or in the 70's, 129 should be above 50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts