Problem with 301.

cdoyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
OK, this started last night and I'm not sure what's going on now.

As I was trying to watch TV, the picture would go out and the 'acquiring satellite' message would appear. Then the picture would come back, and then out again.

I went into the menu, and under diagnosis it said something about signal loss at 'some time here' and 1/3.

I thought it was just some temporary thing, so I just turned it off and went to bed. This morning, turned it back on and it's still doing it.

So I went into the living room, and turned on the 508. It appears to be working fine, no problems at all.

So go back into the bedroom, and turn the 301 off. Unplug it, and remove the card. (whenever the 508 has a problem this usually fixes it) The put the card back in, shut the little door, then I plugged it back in.

As soon as I plugged it in, the green power light comes on for about 3 seconds, and then shuts off. But now I can't turn the thing back on, it's not responsive at all. If I unplug it, and plug it back in. It does the same thing, the green light comes on for about 3 seconds.

Any ideas?

Also, not sure if this would cause any of the problems or not, but I just downgraded my programming from 180 to 60. I doubt that would have anything to do with it??

Every once in a while I will see a 301 that will not remain on when you plug it in, the green light will only stay on for a second or two then turn off without being able to get the green light back on unless you unplug it then plug it back in with the same result. It sounds to me like your 301 was in the dying process before you went to unplug (on it's last breath).

Its time to get a replacement. Get the $5.99 warranty and they waive the $14.95 Advanced Exchange shipping fee then you can cancel it once you get the replacement if you choose to do so.

OK, got it to power back up now.
I held the power button down for about 10 seconds, and it rebooted.

But it still seems to be acting up.

For sat 110 it says it's only getting a signal strength of around 82 or so. Is that right?

I'll give that a try,

but if that doesn't fix it, then this unit only lasted about 2 years. That's pretty sad, especially since I only watch maybe a few hours a week with this unit.

I would just buy another 508, but when I signed up with dish I got that free for all(I think that's what it's called) where they credit you a $5 credit for 40 payment cycles. I'm only on 24 of 40, so if I deactivate it, I lose out on those remaining credits don't I?

What a piece of junk, it should not go out that fast.

Call 800-333-3474 for the answer to your credits, I think as long as the account is active your credits will continue. Even if you aren't watching the receiver it is "turned on" so for 2 years 24 hours a day it has been running.

Call 800-333-3474 for the answer to your credits, I think as long as the account is active your credits will continue. Even if you aren't watching the receiver it is "turned on" so for 2 years 24 hours a day it has been running.

Even if I normally turn it 'off' it's still on doing stuff?

Supposedly you will lose your credits if you deactivate that receiver. The thing to do is ask them about those credits BEFORE you deactivate it telling them that you should still get your credits if you get the receiver replaced and see what they say. Tell them that you should not have to lose credit because of their peice of junk hardware. They will probably offer you the $5.99 warranty.

OK, this started last night and I'm not sure what's going on now.

As I was trying to watch TV, the picture would go out and the 'acquiring satellite' message would appear. Then the picture would come back, and then out again.

I went into the menu, and under diagnosis it said something about signal loss at 'some time here' and 1/3.

I thought it was just some temporary thing, so I just turned it off and went to bed. This morning, turned it back on and it's still doing it.

So I went into the living room, and turned on the 508. It appears to be working fine, no problems at all.

So go back into the bedroom, and turn the 301 off. Unplug it, and remove the card. (whenever the 508 has a problem this usually fixes it) The put the card back in, shut the little door, then I plugged it back in.

As soon as I plugged it in, the green power light comes on for about 3 seconds, and then shuts off. But now I can't turn the thing back on, it's not responsive at all. If I unplug it, and plug it back in. It does the same thing, the green light comes on for about 3 seconds.

Any ideas?

Also, not sure if this would cause any of the problems or not, but I just downgraded my programming from 180 to 60. I doubt that would have anything to do with it??
From here it appears your 301 has assumed room temperature..If you lease and are DHPP call dish and they will replace the receiver..There are other options if you own the EQ..Again call dish to inquire.

Before calling, I'm going to install it i the other room and see if works there.

it's really weird, it just doesn't want to lock on to 110. It jumps all over the place, so hoping that installing it in the other room and it works. Then I know that maybe there is a bad wire or something.

I own it too by the way.

well, looks like the unit is a piece of dookey.
still acting up in the other room too.

So since I own this, is there anything I can do? Little ticked that it didn't last even long enough to get all the credits back.

Get DHPP to get it replaced then drop it afterwards unless you think its worth 5.99 per month to keep (72.00 a year). You would probably need to swap the receiver by leaving it on your account until you get a replacement from dish then do the swap to keep the credits. I've done that before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts