Problem with 311 receiver

laman400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I have 4 311 receivers. The last 4 mornings when I first turn on the one used the most (the other 3 are working fine), we only have a black screen with program info across the top. The epg is there, but the pic for the channel tuned into is black in the upper right corner of the epg. If I check the info screen, both the 110 and 119 sats are red X's. If i do a check switch, it tells me that less sats were found than last time. If I do a hard reset with the power button on the receiver itself, it searches for the sat signal, reloads the guide, and will continue to work fine for the rest of the day. But if I do nothing at all for a few minutes after running the check switch test and getting the error message that less sats were found than before, the box will suddenly start searching for satellite signal all by itself, alternating between test 0 and test 1 of 5 for 2 or 3 cycles, I hear clicking sounds from the receiver, then the receiver suddenly powers itself off and on (the green power light goes off and on all by itself), 2 or 3 times in rapid succession, then the searching for satellite screen comes on, it goes thru the tests from 1 to 5 ok, loads the guide, and all is well for the rest of the day. Any ideas what is going on with this receiver the past 5 mornings? The weather is clear, so that's not it (the other 3 receivers come on without a problem each morning). I have never seen any of my 4 receivers turn themselves on and off by themselves as this one has done the past several mornings after I run the check switch test. I am concerned that this receiver may have a short in it somewhere, and could possibly pose a fire danger. Thanks for any thoughts from the techies on the board.

I have 4 311 receivers. The last 4 mornings when I first turn on the one used the most (the other 3 are working fine), we only have a black screen with program info across the top. The epg is there, but the pic for the channel tuned into is black in the upper right corner of the epg. If I check the info screen, both the 110 and 119 sats are red X's. If i do a check switch, it tells me that less sats were found than last time. If I do a hard reset with the power button on the receiver itself, it searches for the sat signal, reloads the guide, and will continue to work fine for the rest of the day. But if I do nothing at all for a few minutes after running the check switch test and getting the error message that less sats were found than before, the box will suddenly start searching for satellite signal all by itself, alternating between test 0 and test 1 of 5 for 2 or 3 cycles, I hear clicking sounds from the receiver, then the receiver suddenly powers itself off and on (the green power light goes off and on all by itself), 2 or 3 times in rapid succession, then the searching for satellite screen comes on, it goes thru the tests from 1 to 5 ok, loads the guide, and all is well for the rest of the day. Any ideas what is going on with this receiver the past 5 mornings? The weather is clear, so that's not it (the other 3 receivers come on without a problem each morning). I have never seen any of my 4 receivers turn themselves on and off by themselves as this one has done the past several mornings after I run the check switch test. I am concerned that this receiver may have a short in it somewhere, and could possibly pose a fire danger. Thanks for any thoughts from the techies on the board.

It could be a bad 311, however to rule out a line problem or a port problem, try swapping the 311 with one from another room for a day or so and see if the problem follows the box. If it doesn, then the box absolutely needs replacement. If the problem stays in the same room, it's likely a line problem or a problem with one of the ports on the LNBF or switch.

That is called Video black with banner is an authorizational issue...can be caused by signal loss. I would recommend as stated above swap the rcvr.

That's odd. Mine just did it this morning! That's why I came to the forums to see if something was going on. And mine too is the 311 that is most watched.

My 311 has the same problem i just on plug the 311 and plug it back up and it works after down loading the Guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts