Problem with Sony Direct view and 811

Scott Ward

Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
when I connect my 811 to my Sony 36" direct view via either the component video or the dvi connector, all the images are letterboxed on the top and on the sides. This is true of non hd broadcasts as well as network broadcasts that are supposed to be in hd. However, the high number channels 9500 such as Discovery HD theatre are just fine. I have used hd set-up and chosen the 4:3 aspect ration but as long as I use either the component or the dvi connector is seems that the pixals composing the picture are centered on the screen. What gives?

I don't think so!

It seems to me that the star button will do processing like stretch or zooming. That isn't my problem. I apologize for the poor wording of the original post. The problem is that this is a 3:4 direct view crt. When viewing 3:4 programing such as the network broadcasts (over satellite) it has the proper aspect ratio, but there are, in effect, letter box bars on the top and the bottom AND the sides!. In other words, it is as if I am watching a 27" 3:4 TV in the middle of my 36". I can use stretch to get it to expand in the horizontal direction, but nothing will fill in the letter boxing on the top and the bottom. This happens whenever I use either the dvi or the component inputs. Now, I have a progressive scan dvd player and when that is connected to a component video input, the picture uses the entire screen (when appropriate). However, when I use these inputs to connect the 811 the picture is reduced in size. Again none of the options using the star button do anything to expand the vertical size of the picture. 16:9 programing in hd such as Discovery Theatre look great. It seems very odd. The only work around I have is to use the S video input for non hd programing and then switch over to the dvi input for the dedicated hd channels. However, this doesn't work for network hd broacasts on satellite transmission.

I have a sony 4:3 direct view HD TV. You cannot fill your screen (full 36" screen) going through component or DVI. Any non HD can be zoomed using the star button to get a full widescreen picture. You will always have black bars on top and bottom. To get a full 36" picture you must use composite or S-video, but then you'll have to deal with the famous dark S-video picture with the 811. I watch all SD on S-video and all HD through component. This is the best way to watch with your TV type. By the way, when viewing a dvd progressive scan you should turn on your 16:9 enhanced viewing mode(vertical compression), which is what the sony is doing automatically when viewing 1080i.

thanks Johnny. That clears it up for me. It's not too inconvenient to do this. But it seems somewhat odd. I guess I don't understand what is going on with the network HD broadcasts though. We live in a remote area and we use Dish to get the Network stations (from NY). Is it possible that dish isn't broadcasting the HD feeds from these channels?

You're correct. Dish is only broadcasting CBS-HD on channel 9483. I'm using a radio shack yagi antenna(R-75U) in my attic for pulling in HD 35 miles from NY. If you're within 75 miles this antenna might work for you if mounted outside. Go to antennaweb.org type in your address and it will tell you if you can get any stations.

Sony 36" and 811

Scott:
On the tv menu,go into setup and check the 16:9 setting is set to auto. If it is set to on everything will be 16:9
Also check on the 811 menu hd setup that 480 is set.
If you select 1080i or 720p the tv will put everything in 16:9.You can't watch 1080i or 720p in full screen on the Sony

so...

you are suggesting that selecting 480 on the 811 will spread those pixals over the entire area of the tube? This implies having to go into set-up on the receiver every time you switch between hd and non hd programing. This seems like a design flaw in the receiver. It seems to me that it should be able to detect the resolution of the source and adjust the output accordingly when using the dvi connector. It is digital after all. This should be one of the advantages.

Sony 36"

It's not a problem with the receiver, it's a problem with the tv. I have a Sony 36" that I have to change the settings for hd. The tv setting for hd has only auto or on.
It should also have off so that you can watch hd in full screen. I'm going to order the service manual to see if there is a way to change it in service mode. If you find a way to change it please email me at trumpie@earthlink.net

It would be nice if there was a "native" mode selection in the HD setup for the 811, like the voom box does.

However, at least the 811 allows you to change it via the menu. On my retired samsung box and on the voom box you have to physical push a button to change resolutions.

yes

I think you are right. It should be the monitors job, although it seems to me it could be done in either place. It would be a rather simple function to detect the resolution of the source and automatically select an output that gives the image its maximum size for the preselected aspect ratio of the monitor.

Scott Ward said:
I think you are right. It should be the monitors job, although it seems to me it could be done in either place. It would be a rather simple function to detect the resolution of the source and automatically select an output that gives the image its maximum size for the preselected aspect ratio of the monitor.
The big problem with that solution is the broadcasters. They keep doing different things with the image. My pet peeve is letterboxing a widescreen movie and then shipping it out as 16:9. Fortunately, my 921 has a mode to zoom the black border outta there - but of course, some resolution has already been lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)