Problem with SWM LNB setup - need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobStokesbary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Southern California
On our new household DirecTV installation the installer used a single wire SWM LNB. Being new to satellite I decided to mimic his installation for a parallel setup for our RV.

I purchased a SWM Slimline dish kit along with an ACUTRAC 22 PRO MKII Satellite Signal Meter and DIRECTV ASL-1 SWM Alignment tool for setup. I did a quick setup at home to test things. I used the satellite finder sites to get azimuth and elevation. The reading on 101 was 48 and 119 was 54. Everything worked fine. Signals on 101 were 87 or above on all transponders. But, there was a dent in one of the covers of the LNB and it looked like it would crack in time so I requested and received a replacement. I didn't have a chance to test the new LNB before leaving on a trip.

Now on the road I am experiencing troubles with the new LNB. The meter shows 46 on satellite 101 (which is the same reading from the professional installed dish at home) and 48 on 119. But, the receiver shows zero on all transponders except 28 which is 89, 30 (94) and 32 (88). All the cables and other parts are exactly the same as with the working test at home.

Logic suggests that something is wrong with the SWM switch on the new LNB. But, as I said, I am new at this and believe that the wisdom on this forum is much smarter than I am. So, I am looking for all help on this.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

BobStokesbary said:
On our new household DirecTV installation the installer used a single wire SWM LNB. Being new to satellite I decided to mimic his installation for a parallel setup for our RV.

I purchased a SWM Slimline dish kit along with an ACUTRAC 22 PRO MKII Satellite Signal Meter and DIRECTV ASL-1 SWM Alignment tool for setup. I did a quick setup at home to test things. I used the satellite finder sites to get azimuth and elevation. The reading on 101 was 48 and 119 was 54. Everything worked fine. Signals on 101 were 87 or above on all transponders. But, there was a dent in one of the covers of the LNB and it looked like it would crack in time so I requested and received a replacement. I didn't have a chance to test the new LNB before leaving on a trip.

Now on the road I am experiencing troubles with the new LNB. The meter shows 46 on satellite 101 (which is the same reading from the professional installed dish at home) and 48 on 119. But, the receiver shows zero on all transponders except 28 which is 89, 30 (94) and 32 (88). All the cables and other parts are exactly the same as with the working test at home.

Logic suggests that something is wrong with the SWM switch on the new LNB. But, as I said, I am new at this and believe that the wisdom on this forum is much smarter than I am. So, I am looking for all help on this.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

How many rcvrs for the RV?

Do you have a power inserter between your lnb and rcvrs?

Explain the route of the cable from the lnb.

Last edited:
This is soooooo embarrassing! It turns out I was on the wrong bird. Moved the dish over 9 degrees and everything is OK. Problem is solved. I was so sure my azimuth was correct. But, it just goes to show that you have to double check everything.

SA Holly Springs GA - just one. I take the bedroom receiver to the RV and then back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts