Problem

kangoljas

Original poster
I have an issue to which I do not have any answers. I moved to a new apartment about a week ago. I was told Dish Network was the service provider at this complex. What I wasn't told was that this exclusive contract is actually with a local installer and you cannot signup through the Dish Website.

Fast forward I had an install setup for the day after I moved in. I live in a building with a dish installed on one side of the building which serves 12 apartments. There is a closet with multi switches inside, I know because the installer who came last Saturday installed my
722K and the programming work great but then......

Fast fwd to Thursday evening I come home after work and I see a "Total Signal loss" error message. I reset the dish by pulling the plug and waiting 1 minute. Same issue, so I called Dish Support. They setup an appointment to have a Tech come out.

So I waited from 8-12 and no one shows up. So I call Dish and they said no Dish Network Techs are allowed on property because of an exclusive deal with the local dealer. The problem is when Dish came to do the install the Tech was from another install company.

I have tried contacting the contractor with the exclusive contract but he will no call me back.

What recourse do I have? Dish knew about the exclusion yet they sent another Tech anyway. I have a feeling this other installer disconnected the line going to my apartment and now wants money to "fix" the problem. Anyways I have been without service for Three days now. I do not know what to do.

I tried to contact The local installer who told me they had issues with this other installer and that sometimes these installs "get by" the business office or their Tech's do not know about tge exclusive contract.

This is all confusing why would Dish give this install job to someone who could not install at my place? I am very frustrated and this in my mind gives Dish Network a bad name.

Jason

Very Frustrated

You need to call DISH and tell them that you need out of your commitment and hopefully they will negotiate some refunds.

If the property managers sold their soul to the installation company and you failed to ask around and/or read the fine print, it's on you. If the terms aren't detailed in the lease contract, you may have a beef with the property managers.

You may also have some recourse through your installer since they didn't do the homework either.

Bluemonick said:
OH my gosh, this is a mess. I hate to say it, but you may need a lawyer. FWIW, foul play DOES seem to be involved.

You may need a lawyer, but I wouldn't necessarily go that far just yet. I would threaten with contacting your state AG, the BBB, etcetera. I'd also demand that the property management resolve this issue as it wasn't disclosed in your lease agreement. Also, if someone physically damaged your connection and disrupted your service, there could be criminal consequences. Especially if done to extort money out of you for it to be repaired.

If some or all of those fail, then I would threaten to retain a lawyer or actually do so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It depends if the retailer has the property locked up in DISH Networks system to prevent other installers or sales people from creating accounts at your address.

Before you start pointing fingers, the first question I would ask is who did you sign up through? Go online and pull up you bill and take a close look at the address. Chances are someone added an apartment A or something to force it through the system. Usually if a contractor or retailer has the property locked in the system, it will come up with an error message preventing the account from being built.

As far as the retailer or contractor who has exclusive rights to the property, I wouldn't expect a call back or for them to even offer to charge you to come fix it, as they are probably mad at you that you called someone else and and they went behind their back to install you anyways and they lost out on their commission.

If it was indeed the retailer or contractor that disconnected you, sending a technician to fix the issue is not going to solve the problem because they will simply disconnect you again next time they come out to service the system.

The thing you need to do at this point is call DISH Network and speak with someone in executive resolution, and Dish will either have to convert your account over to the contractor or they will have to work out an arrangement with the contractor to fix it.

You may need a lawyer, but I wouldn't necessarily go that far just yet. I would threaten with contacting your state AG, the BBB, etcetera. I'd also demand that the property management resolve this issue as it wasn't disclosed in your lease agreement. Also, if someone physically damaged your connection and disrupted your service, there could be criminal consequences. Especially if done to extort money out of you for it to be repaired.

If some or all of those fail, then I would threaten to retain a lawyer or actually do so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The AG, BBB and all the other organizations are powerless to do anything in this type situation. Besides, this person is without service now, and a letter to the BBB, or AG will take atleast 2-3 months before you even get a responce back.

If a retailer or contractor paid to install the distribution system in the building for their exclusive use for their customers, its within their right to disconnect people who are connected into that distribution system that have not bought from the contractor that installed the system.

The issue needs to be escallated through DISH Network, and you will get a resolution.

Claude Greiner said:
The AG, BBB and all the other organizations are powerless to do anything in this type situation. Besides, this person is without service now, and a letter to the BBB, or AG will take atleast 2-3 months before you even get a responce back.

If a retailer or contractor paid to install the distribution system in the building for their exclusive use for their customers, its within their right to disconnect people who are connected into that distribution system that have not bought from the contractor that installed the system.

The issue needs to be escallated through DISH Network, and you will get a resolution.

Please note that I said threaten to turn to those entities. Sometimes the threat is enough to get people moving. I also wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the power of the AG to get results. This entire situation is problematic. The lack of disclosure from the property management company creates an issue. Summarily disconnecting someone from a service they are paying for without any prior discussion/explanation is also highly problematic.the phrase unfair trade practices comes to mind. Without knowing specifics, it's really hard to do more than speculate. But again, sometimes even bringing up these points is enough to cause movement on an issue. I will agree that if Dish is billing him for a service that he is not receiving because of their error in setting up the install, then they should make good on it.that being said, applying pressure to the local parties as well might not be a bad idea either.

Threatening to go to the BBB is no real threat. If the contractor is a paying member of the BBB, it will have no/negligible effect on their BBB rating. If the contractor is not a paying member of the BBB, they have a low rating anyway.

I would go through Dish for resolution. No matter who sold/installed the system, it is still their service that you are paying for and not receiving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)