Problems transferring movies from VIP 722 DVR to Hopper using Seagate GoFlex 500GB EHD

axschumer

Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
san pedro, california
I VIP 722 DVR started acting up, so Dish replaced with another VIP 722 DVR.
Using an EHD, Seagate GoFlex FreeAgent 500GB, I had not problems transferring all my recordings between the two DVR's.

Today I received a new Hopper and am trying to transfer movies from the 722, using the same EHD as before.
When I connect the EHD to the Hopper it doesn't recognize a EHD is connected, unless I reboot the receiver.

Once I got the Hopper to recognize a EHD was connected, it said there was 0 recordings and 0 free space.

The technician kept saying the HD was empty, till I insisted he reconnect the 722 DVR and verify this.
Which he did - the 722 instantly recognized the EHD, and there were all my recordings.

Go back to the Hopper and nothing.
We tried both the front and back USB ports - same results.

He called Dish, and hey suggested trying another Hopper, but he did not have any extra with him, so has to come back next week.

Has anyone else experienced problems using a EHD with a Hopper?

thank in advance

Hi Kevin - thanks for the quick reply.

By chance, do you have any idea when the next software is expected to be released?
Does DISH rollout updates on a fixed schedule, or randomly.

I'm really bummed because I have family coming from out of state to visit for the holidays, we rarely get to see each other, and there were several recordings I've been saving for them.

Have you...

1. Powered down, the EHD....
2. Cord pull reboot of the Hopper...
3. After Hopper reboot...
4. Power UP the Ehd
5. Wait about 30 seconds for the Hopper to say you have connected a multi-media device???

I believe the technician unplugged the hopper, waited 10-20 seconds, and then plugged it back in.
Once the Hopper restarted, with the EHD connected to an external power source, connect the USB cable, the EHD instantly came to life.
But the Hopper didn't recognize a device was connected. N
There was no popup message, but if we disconnect the EHD, the popup message says the drive was connected, but the name of the drive is "...".

Another test:
If he Hopper is rebooted while the EHD is connected, it recognizes a EHD is connected, but says it has zero space available.
If the EHD is then unplugged, the popup message displays the name of the EHD, not "..." like it did previously.

Another test:
We also recorded a few minutes of a show, and tried to transfer to EHD - but there was no hard drive listed to select.

Ask for a rehit. Sometimes they need to send that to the receiver. Also, it takes a couple of days for the Hopper to be fully functional. So wait a day or 2 and see what happens.

I just wondered why you are transferring the shows from the EHD to the Hopper (or 722 in the past). I just leave them on the EHD and watch from there. That way you have no transfer time and you can pause and do everything else anyway.

One of the DIRT team said there was to be another update next Wednesday that should include a fix. On my Hopper, not HWS, it takes 3-5 minutes for the pop-up when I attach the EHD, so quite a bit longer than with the 722, but everything works fine after that.

Good luck!

The software fix should be rolling out now. May take a few days until it's your "turn."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just wondered why you are transferring the shows from the EHD to the Hopper (or 722 in the past). I just leave them on the EHD and watch from there. That way you have no transfer time and you can pause and do everything else anyway.
Good luck!

That's true you can leave everything on the EHD but his problem is the Hopper not recognizing that the EHD is even connected. I was going to copy all of my EHD recordings over to the Hopper but that was before I realized I could access them from the Joey without having to copy them.

There is one reason. If you want to watch a program that is on the ehd using Dish Anywhere when you have a Hopper, you do have to transfer the program back.
Dirt has said that the ability to watch programs on the hd when you have a 722 was a bug. PLEASE bring that bug back.

As far as I can tell, the Seagate drive has no external power source and thus depends on the USB for power as well as signal. Many report success but the specs for the EHD call for a separate power source.

As far as I can tell, the Seagate drive has no external power source and thus depends on the USB for power as well as signal. Many report success but the specs for the EHD call for a separate power source.

He said in post #5 "connected the EHD to an external power source".

Resolved.
A technician delivered a new Hopper yesterday, Facebook works, Pandora does not (yet). This Hopper recognized a EHD was attached, but would not read the contents. I called Dish Technical Support this morning, think they pushed a file to the Hopper that fixed this. I am currently transferring all my recordings saved from my VIP DVR.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts