Problems with 129 in New England

bluto182

Original poster
May 15, 2009
new england
My apologies if there is already a thread related to this somewhere. I have found similar ones, but none that address my problem specifically.

From what I've read here, everyone has problems with the 129 satellite, but I haven't been seen anyone living on the East Coast with these problems.

My zip is 06239. I have a DPP 1000.2 and no problems with 110 & 119. This is my third upgrade. I started out with a DP Dual and later upgraded to a DPP Quad. I installed the 1000.2 for HD back in the fall of last year and had no problems at all until the spring thunderstorms came. Now I'm losing the signal completely whenever it gets overcast- nevermind actual storms. I'm lucky if I get as much as 30 signal strength on a clear day.

I've read about setting up a wing for 61.5 or 129 itself. This really wouldn't be a problem since I still have the hardware from the quad on the roof minus the LNB itself. (I still have all the old LNBs the DP Dual and the DPP quad) I don't have a switch though. I'm running a Vip222 a 625 and a 311.

One thing I'm confused about is the elevation angle for the 129 at my location. It almost seems like the dish is pointing down at the recommended 15.5 angle. I imagine this is half of the problem. 61.5 has a 40.6 elevation which makes a lot more sense.

I'm guessing I'll be told the best option is to wing the 61.5 into the LNB-In port on the 1000.2. I guess that would be easiest since I'm gonna need a DPP44 switch either way, right?

So my additional questions are:

Does the 61.5 bird provide the exact same channels as the 129?

Can I use the DP Dual or DPP Quad LNBs I already have for the wing, or do I need to get another one?

If so, which one?

I appreciate any help that can be offered!

129 coverage drops off right north you in Maine. I'd go with 61.5 on the wing dish. There isn't a difference in channels between 61.5 and 129 for the national HD's.

I don't understand why you say you need a DPP44 switch. If you connect the 61.5 wing dish to the lnb in port on the 1000.2 you don't need a switch unless you're adding more than three receivers. I would cover the 129 lnb on the 1000.2 though. If you don't, the receivers could use 129 instead of 61.5 and you'll have the same problems you have now.

I don't understand why you say you need a DPP44 switch. If you connect the 61.5 wing dish to the lnb in port on the 1000.2 you don't need a switch unless you're adding more than three receivers.

That was one of the reasons I posted. The install manual for the 1000.2 didn't explain that clearly at all.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll definitely set up the wing for 61.5

Brings up another question though: If I use the DP Dual LNB for the wing, which output do I connect to the LNB-In on the 1000.2, the one from the 119 side or 110 side? Or does it matter?

And will there be enough juice to power both LNB's effectively? I've got a fair amount of cable length between the roof and the receivers.

Also, will I still get my locals with 61.5?

Last edited:
Okay. I just finished adjusting the wing to the recommended angles for my location and fed the DP Dual into the LNB-In port on the 1k.2

Although it recognizes the DP Twin as installed, the Vip222 does not identify 61.5 on the check switch screen.

On the point dish screen, it misindentifys 61.5 as 119 and doesn't maintain a steady lock to begin with. I've tried several transponders- same result.

After the initial change, I reset the ViP222 which caused it to take a software download, which I thought would fix the problem. No luck.

Wierd thing is, I seem to be getting the HD channels, only there is some interruption in the audio at times.

Just did some more reading and realized I made a tragic error by confusing a DP Twin for a DP Dual. Most fo the stuff I've read(including the install manual) says that a DP Twin should not be used for a wing dish.

Guess I'll be ordering a shiney new DP Dual.

When that comes in, I'd rather not mess around with running up and down the ladder, so I wanna buy a signal meter. Problem is, I'll go back to cable before I shell out $700 for a Birddog.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced signal meter that I can peak the dish with for the 61.5 bird?

For a one time use I wouldn't buy an expensive meter. One of the cheapo inline analog meters will work. Or bring a small TV and the receiver up to the dish. Or call someone in the house from you cell or use some walkie-talkies.

I completely agree with digiblur about just using a cheap inline meter. I bought mine from our sponsor DishStore for $20.

The trick is to continue to adjust the gain on the meter. Specifically, find the satellite by getting a strong signal, then turn down the gain. Now move the dish a little more until you get a stronger signal, then turn down the gain. Usually, doing this two or three times will fine tune your signal within one or two points on the magic signal strength meter on your receiver.

HTH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts