Problems with 625

ProSat2

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 20, 2005
xcableguy said:
Ah yes. There's that familiar "I ain't runnin' no phone wire" attitude.

This has come up so many times. I have never been told or have read any where that I am required to run a phone line. I would like the people who say it IS included with the free pro install to please tell me and everyone else where where you are getting your information from.

It would be much easier if Dish would include a 50' telephone cable rather than the 25' they do now. Still until I see proof I am not doing it for free. CSR's and retailers are constantly telling people what they want to hear just to get them to sign up. Retailers are the worst (sorry guys I'm talking about the scum bags). I have gotten handed a whole bag of cables and wires before because some retailer told them I was going to set up their whole home cinema system. Most of the time I just explain things to the customer and they understand. Other times I get the customers paper work and call the retailer myself and let them have it on the phone. I either get hung up on or they claim they never said it. Either way it's not a very good first impression. I go out of my way more than most, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

LM

kevink

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 3, 2005
Related question.

Would replacing a Dish 500 dish with a Superdish generally be considered part of the "standard install"?

Since the last time I had Dish, and now, Dish now provides local channels. If and when I sign up again, I would want the locals so I can completely drop cable.

Thanks,
Kevin

madisondish

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks for the info simplesimon- i like learning something new- i incorectly assumed it was required. I assumed this because I worked for dtv for a few years, and they are absolute phone line freaks- absolutley must be instaled and dtv asks when you activate. Our dtv hsp (i have friends that work there still) takes it to the point that if a customer dosent want the line ran, the tech has to call a supervisor, confrence the sup and customer , and if the customer still refuses they are required to sign a waiver.Installers really like this, as it turns a five min ordeal into 30 of frustration.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Yikes. That sounds terrible. I'd much rather work for 30 minutes on running a phone line than spend 30 minutes yacking on the phone about who pays for what. I was never required to install a phone line. Sometimes the customers will be upset with the $5.00 fee when no line is available anywhere, but that's rare. Remember, there are two options for the location of the dual tuner: TV1 or TV2. One of the TVs usually has a phone line within 25'. Sometimes I'll even offer to run the included cable into the basement if there is a jack below a TV (if the customer has an IQ higher than their age).

I actually started doing installs with all the gear to run phone lines (phone cable, crimpers, etc) thinking that I could make an extra $45 here and there by running the phone line... But man was I wrong. I threw all that stuff away eventually because customers are never told about the whole 25' deal. (If they only knew the phone companies' prices for an extra jack installation - easily $100+.) "Sorry, I CAN'T run the phone line, I don't have the equipment." is alot easier to swallow than, "Sorry, I WON"T run the phone line, I don't have the financial incentive."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts