Problems with KOMO-HD (Seattle) on Thu?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Problems with picture on ABC Thursday night?

I recorded both Grey's Anatomy and Lost tonight on KOMO-HD (6414) here in Seattle on my 622 and here are some serious problems. Quite a few times throughout the recordings I lost the picture but the sound was OK. The picture pixellated like what happens when the signal is losing strength but the sound never wavered. The picture got so bad you couldn't even see what was going on. But then it would come back. And there wasn't anything wrong with recordings that happened the exact same time on other HD locals (from Dish) or the HD I was recording OTA. Did anyone else experience this? Was it a Dish thing? A KOMO thing? My wife's gonna be mad in the morning when she tries to watch GA... :-\

Edit - updated the title since this apparently wasn't just a Seattle issue...

Last edited:
I too recorded both programs, and a quick fastforward shows I experienced the same problems.

I noticed no problems watching KOMO news earlier in the evening. Usually KOMO repeats GA on Fridays, but I don't see it scheduled.

We're in Vancouver, WA and we had the same problem last night on KATU in Portland (ABC). It pixilated all through Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy and Lost. I just had my dish adjusted yesterday because I wasn't getting TBS and I assumed it was because of that and I was going to have to call them out again. Can this be a weather thing or atmosphere anomaly?

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Did anyone check to see if the problem was on the SD channels at the time? I only recorded the HD. The fact that it was on KATU tells me that it was a Dish or possibly ABC problem, but definitely not an issue with me or my 622. Can't be a weather thing b/c it would have affected other channels as well.

I am not crazy! I had the same problem last night, both Grey's Anatomy and Lost were unwatchable. The sound was fine, but the picture went incredibly pixelated every 30 seconds or so. I thought that it was my reception, or my DVR, but the other shows I was recording at the same time on the other channels were absolutely fine, no problem. We are in Seattle, so watching the ABC feed on the local HD channel.

So it sounds like it was the ABC feed???? Has anyone contacted Dish for further verification?

I am going to have to watch Lost tonight on the ABC website, not happy about that.

I encourage everyone who had this problem to email dish and let them know. I just did to. This is unacceptable, either ABC or Dish needs to resolve it and make sure it never happens again. Some people may say I am being dramatic, but the reason I pay Dish every month is so I can watch certain shows each week, and if they are unavailable, then it is a costly issue.

I encourage everyone who had this problem to email dish and let them know. I just did to. This is unacceptable, either ABC or Dish needs to resolve it and make sure it never happens again. Some people may say I am being dramatic, but the reason I pay Dish every month is so I can watch certain shows each week, and if they are unavailable, then it is a costly issue.

You expectations are unrealistic, no network, affiliate or provider will give you any kind of guarantee against technical problems or outages, and if they did they would be blowing smoke. In real fiscal terms your "costly issue" is worth a few pennies at most. If you truly want uninterpretable entertainment get rid of your TV and get some books and candles.

On a positive note I haven't seen any problems today from KATU.

NightRyder

KOMO-HD (Seattle)

I have noticed this problem for approximately 1 month. Usually on the 11pm news. Shows up on both SD and HD. Sometimes the video braks up into 6 distinct frames, all colored noise. Problem disappeared for about one week, then back last night. Happens on both network, and local.
FRUSTRATING!!

Had the same problem last night while watching Desperate Housewives on KOMO. OTA signal did not have this problem. It has to be some type of switching problem with Dish network and ABC.

We had it again here in Vancouver, WA last night also. I don't watch ABC at other times to know if it is happening during the day. I signed on to the DISH site and sent an email. I've only had DISH for a week so would appreciate input from longer term members on how we notify someone about this. I sent the email but don't know if I should call my local installer so someone else.

Thanks guys!

FYI everyone, just got a response to my email to DISH.

Here is their response:

"Thank you for your email. I’m very sorry that you are having this issue. These type of problems are not common. We apologize for the inconvenience. This is a known issue and we are working on a resolution as quickly as possible."

They did not indicate how soon they expect to fix it.

Glad to know that "it" is a known issue. I just wish that they had detailed what that issue was. I was only going in and out of the basketball games (NBA Playoffs) this wknd, but saw it there again, too. I never heard back in my inquiry to KOMO directly, but it sounds like it isn't their problem. They better get this fixed in a hurry. Good to know, too, that it doesn't affect OTA and, lucky for me, I can get KOMO OTA so I will definitely be recording Thu. night's programming that way this week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)