Problems with the COX HDTV DVR

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
I almost went with Cox and there HDTV, then I read this.

I did not believe it was that bad so I even went to the Cox Customer service store where that had one set up.
They use this chipset in all of there market area.

It is bad.

I spent about a week here and there looking at Cox, all I can say is stay away. Dishnetwork and the Voom package is much better.

Here is the very long thread detailing all the issue

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414680

Summary
=============
1. Picture quality is extra bad becuase the SD Tuner in the DVR is of low quliaty, since the DVR records and plays back the stream in real time, even if your NOT recording it is bad. The HD Channels are great though but there are only like 5 of those depending on your market area.

Many missed recordings.
This is not acceptable.
There are several scenarios where this happens.

That AVS thread is about the Motorola 6412. In San Diego and other major markets, COX uses the Scientific Atlanta HD DVRs (8000 and 8300). I have the 8300 which has a few more features that the 8000.

So far in the two months I've had Cox, I've only had one problem where a recording inexplicably stopped part way through the show. As far as PQ, I can only compare it to my 811, which is connected with a DVI/HDMI, while the 8300 is connected with component. In this scenario, OTA locals are bit better on the 811 than the local HDs I get through the Cox STB. Watching KPBS HD and the local sports channel that broadcasts Padres games in HD, I am quite pleased with the PQ with Cox.

The biggest problem I have with the 8300 is quirky things like not being able to start a program from the beginning that is currently being recorded without RWing, slow FF and RW speeds (30x max!), and that it kicks you out of a program when it's finished recording even though you haven't reached the end.

The 6412 is in all the Cox Markets that I know of. I checked there web sites for each city also.

As always, look before you switch. Go to the Cox store and try it out before switching to cable. Ask about which model you will be getting.

At least here in San Diego, the 6412 has been replaced with the SA8000/8300. I know for a while they still had the old info on the 6412 on their Web site.

Cox 8300 HD-DVR

I got the Cox HD service and a HD-DVR (8300) when Voom folded. I also have Dish and have a 522 DVR with that. The 8300 seems every bit as good as the 522 plus of course, it records in HD or SD. Very satisfied with it and Cox PQ.

Ive had 2 missed recording on my 6412 but overall its been a fine machine for me. You want something painful to use, try any tivo. God those things are slow as molasses (even if they have all the extra features).

ScottChez said:
The 6412 is in all the Cox Markets that I know of. I checked there web sites for each city also.

As always, look before you switch. Go to the Cox store and try it out before switching to cable. Ask about which model you will be getting.

I checked the Cox web site for Phoenix and they don't even list the 6412...??? I am perfectly happy with the SA 8300HD. I have not seen any issues with PQ or missing any recordings.

jagouar said:
Ive had 2 missed recording on my 6412 but overall its been a fine machine for me. You want something painful to use, try any tivo. God those things are slow as molasses (even if they have all the extra features).

The Tivo is a much much better machine than the crap DVR that Cox offers. I can't wait until our Directv is reinstalled once we get our apartment.