Problems with Watch HGTV on Roku/Hulu Live.

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
Hello all:
My wife and I just moved to Massillon, Ohio n February 2019 after being in Canton 17 years. We are still doing Hulu Live and have been very happy with it for over a year now. We also have the local Massillon Cable TV for the Cleveland diginets..Total monthly cost:$99.10..And Mohu Leaf 50 which without a amp is doing an amazing job indoors by a window with OTA considering Massillon is about 55-60 miles away from Cleveland.

A large problem has started with the Watch HGTV app on our two Rokus (An Express in the living room and a stick in the bedroom)..It had worked perfectly up to a couple of days ago..

Now the "available episodes" most shows have been cut way down..We usually like to watch on demand House Hunters..All episodes were "available" at one time (well over 1000) now its down to 352..

The biggest problem is that all episodes are blocked with a red key..When we try to watch them, we a "You must have a TV provider to watch this content" error message. HGTV has been part of Hulu Live and we should have access to on demand. It also shows us as "signed in" I have signed out and signed back in, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and rebooted the bedroom Roku to no avail. I sent a message to HGTV and a couple to Roku troubleshooting but I don't expect much help..Just wondering if there is something I don't know about or if others have the same problem,..Thanks for any answers..

HGTV app?... thats different from hulu...the permissions are based on you cable/satellite subscription...if HGTV isnt in your tv package you wont get access to the ap..I dont know if hulu live is eligible..maybe you should ask that to the ap people

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Since you've done all the troubleshooting steps you can to no avail, I would try asking in a Hulu Live TV Reddit or Facebook group. Sometimes you can get better answers than from CSRs. Do other TV everywhere apps work with your Hulu login credentials?

From the roku site

A link to see if your provider is eligible

If you are a cable or satellite subscriber, you can find out if your provider allows access to Watch HGTV by visiting hgtv.com/roku. Participating providers include DirecTV, Dish, TWC, AT&T Uverse, Verizon FiOS, COX, Optimum, BrighHouse, and Midcontinent, along with many other local and regional providers.
-- Information is current as of December 18, 2015

Now the "available episodes" most shows have been cut way down..We usually like to watch on demand House Hunters..All episodes were "available" at one time (well over 1000) now its down to 352..
This seems to be unrelated to either the streaming platform (Roku in your case) or the authorizing provider (Hulu Live in your case).

Even if you go to House Hunters | Watch Full Episodes & More! - HGTV it shows 345 episodes available right now.

Most likely what happened is Discovery/Scripps sold the distribution rights for certain seasons away, so you'll only be able to get those episodes on other services.

Streaming has started to peel back the curtain on the mess that is television production and rights holdings. You have shows like The Amazing Race that is produced by ABC Studios; current season broadcast rights are owned by CBS, but then rights revert back to ABC/Disney for past seasons. So even though you primarily watch the show on CBS, even if you subscribe to CBS All Access you can't watch past seasons of the show because ABC/Disney has resold US distribution rights to Amazon and Hulu.

Its his login

I used comcast/xfinity and have access to all episodes to house hunters...the ones marked free and the ones that were locked

Its his login

I used comcast/xfinity and have access to all episodes to house hunters...the ones marked free and the ones that were locked
So you have access to seasons prior to 141?

That’s what just got pulled from the HGTV catalog — seasons in the 11x range (maybe starting with 111) to season 140.

Edit: To be clear: I’m specifically talking about the reduction in available episodes, not the authorization issue. I took that as a separate question, which has a separate explanation.

So you have access to seasons prior to 141?

That’s what just got pulled from the HGTV catalog — seasons in the 11x range (maybe starting with 111) to season 140.

Edit: To be clear: I’m specifically talking about the reduction in available episodes, not the authorization issue. I took that as a separate question, which has a separate explanation.
he said he had locked out episodes..I said when I used my comcast/xfinity credentials I had no locked out episodes and was able to watch everything available...reading is fundamental

I don't know if the "available episodes" and the login problem are related..I right now (Havent looked recently) have Seasons 140-148 of House Hunters showing on my screen-All locked out. I used to have the entire series available to me. I have HGTV the channel on Hulu Live and until last Saturday my Login was good for Watch HGTV.. Now it isn't..Though it does show me as signed in..

Do you have a local cable logon?.. or just internet...try the cable logon if you have one..just for fun...for what ever reason..HGTV is limiting your hulu live logon
I don't know if the "available episodes" and the login problem are related..I right now (Havent looked recently) have Seasons 140-148 of House Hunters showing on my screen-All locked out. I used to have the entire series available to me. I have HGTV the channel on Hulu Live and until last Saturday my Login was good for Watch HGTV.. Now it isn't..Though it does show me as signed in..

Here is a response I got from Discovery Networks from "Amanda" this morning. At least it's something.

Watch HGTV-Authenticated through Hulu Live but all videos are locked for me

Response By Email (Amanda) (05/29/2019 10:13 AM)

"Hi there -

Thank you for letting us know of the error you're receiving when trying to sign in with your Hulu Live credentials. Our developers are aware and diligently working to correct. Once I receive an update from them regarding a fix, I will be in touch!

Thank you again and I appreciate your patience."

Amanda

Discovery, Inc. Fan Relations

Customer By Service Web (Tim Lones) (05/26/2019 07:11 PM)

I have had Watch HGTV on Two Roku Devices with a sign-in through Hulu Live for several months with no problem. Since Last Night (May 25) The "seasons" show many fewer episodes of shows and all shows are locked for me. I signed out and signed back in to my provider to no avail. We are in Massillon, Ohio..Thanks for any insight.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have a potential Logon for Massillon Cable TV but HGTV isn't in my package. I tried it once awhile back and it didn't work,

HGTV emailed me again..
They admitted there was an issue and it was resolved. Sent me instructions on how to fix things on this end. I still have only "seasons" 141-158 for now but I am okay with it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Subject
Watch HGTV-Authenticated through Hulu Live but all videos are locked for me

Response By Email (Amanda) (05/30/2019 04:39 PM)
"Hi there -

I have great news, the authentication error you were experiencing with your Hulu Live credentials, has been corrected. I would suggest following the steps below for your device, and then try signing in again with your Hulu Live credentials. This will ensure the app has a fresh start.

Android: Clear cache and data for the app within the device's settings, relaunch and sign back in.

Connected Devices (Amazon Fire, Roku, etc.) & SmartTV: Sign out of the app, clear cache and cookies for the Internet Browser you use to complete the authentication process, then grab a new code from the connected device and complete the authentication process.

iOS: Sign out of the app, then force-close the app, relaunch and try signing back in.

If you need additional assistance, please do not hesistate to ask."

Thank you for your patience!
Amanda
Discovery, Inc. Fan Relations
Response By Email (Amanda) (05/29/2019 10:13 AM)