This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Professional Install of Orby TV

Wonder how many subscription activations Orby TV has lost due to unqualified installers? I find it completely unacceptable that MasTec continues to send out unprepared and uneducated installers not knowing the satellite location, without programmed satellite and terrestrial meters or even the ability to tone out a line.

Absolutely zero excuse to not qualify an installer for a "professional" install.

Orby TV, if you are listening, time to review a contract which continues to provide subpar service. The technician who steps into your customer's home is a representative of Orby TV!

I hope that when the Orby rep called to check on things that you advised them that they need a new installer in your area!
That's the magic of Mastec. They have a few good installers and many that aren't and you can't know what your'e going to get. It sounds like perhaps the majority of the reports here have been contractors and we can guess how much training they've received.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I was able to pick a couple of these up in December, but haven't had a chance to rework everything and set them up yet:

Thor Fiber H-HDMI-CC-RF Networked HDMI HD Video to Coax Digital RF Modulator with Closed Captioning

They were running a special "Sale" on them and then had a "Manufacturer Rebate" available. It ended up being an error on their part, but it knocked the price down to $121 each. I bought two of them. They called a week later to say they were going to cancel the order unless I paid double because it was an "error", but thankfully I had kept screenshots. I argued they listed it that way and left it up for over 24 hours, so it wasn't my fault they made a mistake. They did ultimately honor the price (full props to them on the excellent customer service).

They're not "cheap", but aren't as high as a lot of the competition either.

I would assume the $20 is NTSC (analog) output only calling digital because output frequency display is digital, and is clearly CVBS (analog) input not HDMI. The one cpalmer2k linked is the price and up to expect for (DTV) output.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the $121 deal.

thanks i was looking for cheap digital atsc output, wanted to use a few fta recievers to output to orby reciever. something like this

Attachments

• vcoax.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 297

I've done well more than more than 1000 installs and I still would be torn to do an install for you, Brian.

On one hand, I'd be excited to meet the man and hope to have a eye-widening tech tour, but I'd be nervous as hell and screw up something. I can imagine the installer thinking pretty quickly he was in the presence of a master. Very nice that you left him to his work. Even better that you loaned him a meter.